Lowering mod using onboard diagnostics?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Rafal
Victor, this is a little far fetched. How many cars in America have the same ride height as E55? How many SUV sit with their bumpers at your shoulder level at red lights? The days of BIG BUMPER Volvos came and went in the 70's, even in America. Amongst the W211 the Elegance ride is the highest, followed by the E55 and the Sport/Avantguarde non-airmatic being the lowest.
I measured them all. My E500 sat 10mm lower than my stock E55!
The only liabilty issues are due to people scraping their cars on ****ty driveways and claiming warranty replacements of their front spoilers.
Maybe so... That's just what the spewed to me when I asked them to please adjust my car... I am just passing on the spew.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55
I just think that things like roll angle, traction control and ABS could be effected if the computer does not know the true ride height.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what roll angle is , but the traction control/ABS/ESP are governed by differential wheel slip ie one wheel's rotational speed is greater than another. The computer measures this and reduces the rotational differential by braking a wheel or lowering the engines power output. It has nothing to do with the ride height of the car as far as I'm aware.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2020 G550
Originally Posted by OzE55
I just think that things like roll angle, traction control and ABS could be effected if the computer does not know the true ride height.
I have no idea what roll angle is , but the traction control/ABS/ESP are governed by differential wheel slip ie one wheel's rotational speed is greater than another. The computer measures this and reduces the rotational differential by braking a wheel or lowering the engines power output. It has nothing to do with the ride height of the car as far as I'm aware.[/QUOTE]

Oze55
Roll angle is defined as rotation around a center axis.
Google it, you will find that there is test equipment that measures it for motorsports applications.
Pitch and yaw sensors may also be affected.
Pick up a book about Chassis engineering and design, it's a well recognized variable.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by E552006
I have no idea what roll angle is , but the traction control/ABS/ESP are governed by differential wheel slip ie one wheel's rotational speed is greater than another. The computer measures this and reduces the rotational differential by braking a wheel or lowering the engines power output. It has nothing to do with the ride height of the car as far as I'm aware.
Oze55
Roll angle is defined as rotation around a center axis.
Google it, you will find that there is test equipment that measures it for motorsports applications.
Pitch and yaw sensors may also be affected.
Pick up a book about Chassis engineering and design, it's a well recognized variable. [/QUOTE]
I thought pitch and yaw sensors are only available on ABC in SL55, not on Airmatic?
Old 07-23-2006, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Through Star Diagnostic, which section should I look under for lowering the car another .5"? A guy from Morristown Mercedes is meeting up with my friend in his race shop, asking my friend to do some work on his street rod, so I asked my friend to ask him to bring in the diagnostic tool while my car is there. I'm also asking him to give me the -10c fan mod at the same time.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:21 AM

GL350
Originally Posted by medici78
Star Diagnose is not "illegal" in M-B's eyes. There are no codes or red flags, whereas one can easily see the washers or links and know the suspension was tampered with. It is not out of spec if you were take it in for service. The computer specifies a range of voltage values. All you do is change the values. The range is M-B specified and you cannot deviate from the range. Some cars have more adjustability than others. Mine was only able to be lowered .75" while others can go twice as much. .75" was enough to eliminate the fender gap on my particular car.
Also, it is adjustable by three points: the front right, front left and the rear, not all corners.
If the range is set per Mercedes-Benz specifications and you cannot deviate from this range, I don't see how it could be "illegal". You are not tricking the computer, simply providing new settings which, as I said, are a range specified by M-B. If anything would be "illegal" in M-B's eyes, it is using cheap hardware to TRICK the computer to do something that can be done without tricking it if you use the Star Diagnose computer.
I think you talking about the lowering within MB specs(very minimal,all within legal specs, i had it done, couldnt even notice it.)
Most of these guys are talking about the "cool " lowering.Way out of curb specs etc