Re Evosport cooling mod...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Re Evosport cooling mod...

What typical temp drops have you guys noticed with this mod ??

Also is does cooling for the intercooler use the engine radiator or does it have a seperate heat exchanger core?

If its the radiator, can a single larger / thicker radiator not be used instead?

I also hear the pump is pretty noisy - has this problem be resolved?

Rgds Steve
Old 09-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by stevebez
What typical temp drops have you guys noticed with this mod ??

Also is does cooling for the intercooler use the engine radiator or does it have a seperate heat exchanger core?

If its the radiator, can a single larger / thicker radiator not be used instead?

I also hear the pump is pretty noisy - has this problem be resolved?

Rgds Steve
Most of what you are asking has been posted many times already. Do a quick search on "evo cooling" and you will get a few threads that discuss this.

To summarize some points:

- the EVO cooling system separates the engine cooling circuit from the intercooler's cooling circuit.

- EVO supplies an auxiliary heat exchanger which is put inline with the factory intercooler heat exchanger

- I notice my pump makes noises sometimes and then sometimes it is whisper quiet. It does get very loud on RARE occassions. It lasts for 1 or 2 minues and then it is quiet again. Haven't figured out what causes it or why..

What I will add, that I haven't posted yet is some datalog results I got:

My setup is still using the pump the way EVO ships it which is: it gets energized by the factory ECU so it is not running all the time. The reason I mention this is because the results would be better if it ran constantly.

Results:

In the data logs my IAT's are showing values within 0C - 10C of AMBIENT!!! I get SPIKES of 15C - 20C over ambient during my datalogs but that is most likely during the time the pump has been turned off by the ECU.

Under hard acceleration when the intercooler pump is on I get an almost consistent AMBIENT + 0C - 5C IAT!!! THAT IS PHENOMENAL!!

I am running the Evans NPG-R coolant in the intercooler circuit so I am not sure if that helps at all. I also heat wrapped the heck out of everything I could think of.

I am trying to make some time to take off the front bumper again and rig up a switch so I can decide from inside the car if I want the pump on 100% of the time or if I want it under ECU control. This will allow me to turn it on and have it run all the time inbetween cooldown runs on the dyno or at the 1/4mile track. It should give me near perfect IAT.

Last edited by vrus; 09-15-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks VRUS...!

So to be clear the original setup has the intercooler running off the engine cooling system ? ... if so - it will probably be heating the IAT's and not doing much cooling...!!!

Seperating the system should be much more efficient as your data demonstrates - awesome.

If the system is installed in-line how are they seperated ?

Rgds Steve
Old 09-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by stevebez
Thanks VRUS...!

So to be clear the original setup has the intercooler running off the engine cooling system ? ... if so - it will probably be heating the IAT's and not doing much cooling...!!!

Seperating the system should be much more efficient as your data demonstrates - awesome.

If the system is installed in-line how are they seperated ?

Rgds Steve
That's right. The coolant was being shared between the engine and the intercooler. When you install the EVO system, you have to cut one of the hoses and plug it up (which basically isolates the intercooler coolant from the engine).

The new exchanger is installed INLINE with the INTERCOOLER's heat exchanger NOT with the engine's radiator.

The car has 1 engine cooling RADIATOR, and 1 HEAT EXCHANGER (intercooler).

You are adding a SECOND HEAT EXCHANGER.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Gotta get one of those then....
Old 09-15-2005, 03:37 PM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 G550
How much is this kit?
I can't seem to find it on their site...
Old 09-15-2005, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by vrus
Most of what you are asking has been posted many times already. Do a quick search on "evo cooling" and you will get a few threads that discuss this.

To summarize some points:

- the EVO cooling system separates the engine cooling circuit from the intercooler's cooling circuit.

- EVO supplies an auxiliary heat exchanger which is put inline with the factory intercooler heat exchanger

- I notice my pump makes noises sometimes and then sometimes it is whisper quiet. It does get very loud on RARE occassions. It lasts for 1 or 2 minues and then it is quiet again. Haven't figured out what causes it or why..

What I will add, that I haven't posted yet is some datalog results I got:

My setup is still using the pump the way EVO ships it which is: it gets energized by the factory ECU so it is not running all the time. The reason I mention this is because the results would be better if it ran constantly.

Results:

In the data logs my IAT's are showing values within 0C - 10C of AMBIENT!!! I get SPIKES of 15C - 20C over ambient during my datalogs but that is most likely during the time the pump has been turned off by the ECU.

Under hard acceleration when the intercooler pump is on I get an almost consistent AMBIENT + 0C - 5C IAT!!! THAT IS PHENOMENAL!!

I am running the Evans NPG-R coolant in the intercooler circuit so I am not sure if that helps at all. I also heat wrapped the heck out of everything I could think of.

I am trying to make some time to take off the front bumper again and rig up a switch so I can decide from inside the car if I want the pump on 100% of the time or if I want it under ECU control. This will allow me to turn it on and have it run all the time inbetween cooldown runs on the dyno or at the 1/4mile track. It should give me near perfect IAT.
Wait, you're saying the intercooler mod reduces the IAT (intake air temperature) to the same temperature as outside the car?
I am a bit skeptical about your claims.
If this is so, we don't really need further cooling mods other than the Evosport kit and the SLR intercoolers would add no appreciable temp reduction.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by medici78
Wait, you're saying the intercooler mod reduces the IAT (intake air temperature) to the same temperature as outside the car?
I am a bit skeptical about your claims.
If this is so, we don't really need further cooling mods other than the Evosport kit and the SLR intercoolers would add no appreciable temp reduction.
I know it's hard to believe, but that is what was captured in the datalog... It was 33C on the car's temp display. I was getting IAT readings of 35C - 45C with a spike up to 54C and then back down again. When the temp was 23C on the way home, it was showing 24C - 34C IAT.

After each spike the temp dropped, which led me to believe that was when the pump was turned back on.

I only have 1 recorded datalog but I can post some #'s if that helps.

I'll get some more datalogs on the dyno and hopefully it will record this time.. I've had alot of trouble with the software, so I haven't been able to capture very much.

The SLR intercoolers are still something I would like to pursue because it can only make things better. I am not sure how concrete this info is, but that was my initial find. Maybe the car's temp display vs. the datalogger's numbers were off??? Not sure...
Old 09-15-2005, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Victor I didn't know the evosport cooler worked that good. Those are awesome numbers forget about the slr cooler. If you want cooler IAT temps make a larger pump reservoir and add ice when you are at the track or dyno.

Victor please post your log's. Evosport is going to owe you commission come tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rflow306
Victor I didn't know the evosport cooler worked that good. Those are awesome numbers forget about the slr cooler. If you want cooler IAT temps make a larger pump reservoir and add ice when you are at the track or dyno.

Victor please post your log's. Evosport is going to owe you commission come tomorrow.
Albert,

Will do.. Marcus sent me his datalogs so I am going to do some data analysis after dinner and compare the 2.

If I have time tonight I will format the output into something readable (CSV or something) and post some data. I might wait until tomorrow night cause I should be on the dyno tomorrow evening and will post some other interesting info at the same time.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

vrus,

Typically what were your IAT's before the cooling mod ?? I reckon u need to get the pump working permanently maybe as well - seems when it runs it is very efficient.

You also said you were not sure how much was due to the bigger pump and how much due to the additional core ... what is your best guess now ? Seems the simplest mod (probabaly still alot of work - also would you need to remove bumper for this ?) would be to just install a higher flow pump for 50% of the total benefit ... ?

Rgds Steve.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
The reason we ended up with a bigger pump was due to stock pump's inability to push through both heat exchanger. Also Bosch pumps are prone to failures.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Z06
So does the Evosport Intercooler void the cars warranty?
Old 09-16-2005, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MHaynes772
So does the Evosport Intercooler void the cars warranty?
Like anything else aftermarket, it will only void the warranty on the parts replace or affected. I would think this mod would actually be safer than the stock setup, as long as it is properly installed. However, your dealer might try to fight you if there is a warranty issue that might be related somehow to the installation of the cooling mod.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
So, what if you have a kleeman chip?? Does it still energize the same way?
Old 09-16-2005, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Victor,

Thank you for the data analysis. I HOPE my car is fixed...no leaks so far! The Benz tech said the IATs reached 150F....make me concerned...I will get an OBDII scanner to run data logs. I think the temp was about 90 so based on your experience I would have anticipated it to run no higher than 125 F.

I will post my results in about 2 weeks.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's right. The coolant was being shared between the engine and the intercooler. When you install the EVO system, you have to cut one of the hoses and plug it up (which basically isolates the intercooler coolant from the engine).

The new exchanger is installed INLINE with the INTERCOOLER's heat exchanger NOT with the engine's radiator.

The car has 1 engine cooling RADIATOR, and 1 HEAT EXCHANGER (intercooler).

You are adding a SECOND HEAT EXCHANGER.
Would it be possible to isolate the intercooler coolant on the stock setup?
Old 09-17-2005, 09:36 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by idrivatitleist
So, what if you have a kleeman chip?? Does it still energize the same way?
I believe so. It is energized by either a boost sensor or a temp sensor or a combination of both.. Not 100% sure on this one.

Originally Posted by E55 baller
Victor,

Thank you for the data analysis. I HOPE my car is fixed...no leaks so far! The Benz tech said the IATs reached 150F....make me concerned...I will get an OBDII scanner to run data logs. I think the temp was about 90 so based on your experience I would have anticipated it to run no higher than 125 F.

I will post my results in about 2 weeks.
Are you running distilled water & water wetter??

Originally Posted by medici78
Would it be possible to isolate the intercooler coolant on the stock setup?
Yup. You could. You would have to buy a reservoir container and some fluid hose.. It wouldn't be too difficult to do it.