Sponsored by:

Another low (disappointing) dyno run

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 S65
Another low (disappointing) dyno run

Here it goes guys. I don't know a lot about these cars and don't pretend to. I had my dynoed before any mods and it pulled 405rwhp and 455rwtq. Not to bad at all I thought. Then we put the mods on and dynoed the car. I have Kleemann ECU/Pulley and Evo headers. The temps and humidity outside were almost the same for the before and after dynos. The car with the mods only dynoed at 440rwhp and 508rwtq. I was expecting a lot more with just the pulley and ecu. Any ideas??? Let me know what your thoughts are. I'm looking for help. Thanks guys.

Derrick
Attached Thumbnails Another low (disappointing) dyno run-dsc00211.jpg   Another low (disappointing) dyno run-dsc00212.jpg  
Old 09-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles have you put on since your mods? Could it be that the ECU is not optimized for the Evo headers?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:16 AM

07 S65
They put the mods on it and put it right on the dyno. I don't think that's going to make that much of a difference if any. I talked with Cory and he's looking into my dyno sheets right now to see where we're missing power. I can't say enough about Cory and Kleemann. They are being extremely helpful and are willing to do what they can to get the right power out of the mods I have. Good guys to deal with.

Derrick
Old 09-26-2005, 11:19 AM

'06 M5
Derrick,

Did you confirm the ecu file you received from Kleemann was for headers as well?

Thank you,

Darren
Old 09-26-2005, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Yeah, you should have pulled more than that. Only thing I can think of is heat soak. With those mods and not cooling upgrade, she runs pretty hot. If you just brought her in and she was nice and hot, it would hurt your output.

Did they have a massive fan on the motor for the dyno....that would hurt as well. 440 rear wheel works out to about 550hp when you factor in the 19% driveline loss. Still I know you must be bummed....I have almost the exact same setup, but run Klee headers and pulled 585....and that was even low considering some other cars hear have pulled close to 600.

HEY, call Corey at Klee. They have 2 ECU programs that you can try. If the first one does not work.....the 2nd one usually does. It made a big difference in mine.

I guess you would have to find out what ECU flash you got, but find that out and give Cor a call. He rocks!!

(719) 473-6441

***edit...just read the WHOLE post....sorry, you already called Cor. My bad.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:25 AM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Yeah, you should have pulled more than that. Only thing I can think of is heat soak. With those mods and not cooling upgrade, she runs pretty hot. If you just brought her in and she was nice and hot, it would hurt your output.

Did they have a massive fan on the motor for the dyno....that would hurt as well. 440 rear wheel works out to about 550hp when you factor in the 19% driveline loss. Still I know you must be bummed....I have almost the exact same setup, but run Klee headers and pulled 585....and that was even low considering some other cars hear have pulled close to 600.

HEY, call Corey at Klee. They have 2 ECU programs that you can try. If the first one does not work.....the 2nd one usually does. It made a big difference in mine.

I guess you would have to find out what ECU flash you got, but find that out and give Cor a call. He rocks!!

(719) 473-6441

***edit...just read the WHOLE post....sorry, you already called Cor. My bad.
Jim,

Did you ever get yours dyno'd on a real dynojet? If so, what did yours put down?

Regards,

Darren
Old 09-26-2005, 11:45 AM

07 S65
Originally Posted by darren_dallas
Derrick,

Did you confirm the ecu file you received from Kleemann was for headers as well?

Thank you,

Darren
When I originally talked with Cory he didn't want to send me the ECU that had the header file installed. His thinking was that EVO's headers don't get rid of the primary cats so they wouldn't be that much of an advantage and probably wouldn't be able to use the extra timing. I don't know enough to comment on it but, Cory is willing to reflash the ECU and get the hp up to where it should be. I don't think heat soak was an issue. The car wasn't hot at all during either dyno run. Thanks for your input guys.

Derrick
Old 09-26-2005, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Got an appointment to put it up on a AWD Mustang Dyno in a few weeks. They any good?? It's one of the better shops in the area.....he already prepared me that it should read less than a dynojet/met.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by DJe55
When I originally talked with Cory he didn't want to send me the ECU that had the header file installed. His thinking was that EVO's headers don't get rid of the primary cats so they wouldn't be that much of an advantage and probably wouldn't be able to use the extra timing. I don't know enough to comment on it but, Cory is willing to reflash the ECU and get the hp up to where it should be. I don't think heat soak was an issue. The car wasn't hot at all during either dyno run. Thanks for your input guys.

Derrick

I had the same concern on that same dyno 5 months ago. Before trying to play with various ECU programs take it to the track. Spoke with Brandon and Cory at length and we agreed to see what my times would be before playing the shipping ECU game. Ran in the 11's with my best being 11.89 with traps all day over 120mph. Conclusion was that the power was being made but not on the dyno for whatever reason.

We should be going up to the track next month. My best HP was 480RWHP and 540 RWTQ with the K2 setup.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:08 PM

07 S65
Your numbers sound great! I would kill for 480 and 540. Did you see what I'm at? I only made 440 and 508. I don't have the Kleemann headers but at least I have headers on it. What were you expecting? I was hoping for some where in the 470 range.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
I seriously think the altered atmosphere dyno puts out low numbers. Thats just my opinion. I was VERY dissappointed with my dyno's. I'm embarassed to even mention the numbers (alot of people seem disspapointed with their dyno's form altered), but hey AMG weekend is around the corner so I dont really care
Old 09-27-2005, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
The car with the mods only dynoed at 440rwhp and 508rwtq. I was expecting a lot more with just the pulley and ecu. Any ideas??? Let me know what your thoughts are. I'm looking for help. Thanks guys.
............This is about right. Your pre-mod dyno was 405RWHP. The Pulley plus headers gives you 35 to 50RWHP. I remain really very confused by claims to the contrary, since I have seen about six before and after dyno's that show 35 to 50RWHP gain. If anyone has ACTUALLY done before and after dyno's on an AMGV8K and has RWHP figures significantly higher than this, then they should post it. Until then simply enjoy your car.

Ted
Old 09-27-2005, 08:27 AM

07 S65
I haven't seen a lot (some but not a lot) of before and after dynos. Most that I've seen are in the 470 to 480 range. AAM's dyno could be low but, if you do your before and after test on the same dyno it shouldn't matter. I'm only showing a 35rwhp gain with pulley/ecu and headers. That seems a little low. I don't really care too much about the number as I do how the car feels. It does feel faster but, just not as fast as I was expecting. I'm sending the ECU back to Cory today (thanks Cory for taking care of me) for a different ECU file and we'll see if that makes any difference.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:38 AM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............This is about right. Your pre-mod dyno was 405RWHP. The Pulley plus headers gives you 35 to 50RWHP. I remain really very confused by claims to the contrary, since I have seen about six before and after dyno's that show 35 to 50RWHP gain. If anyone has ACTUALLY done before and after dyno's on an AMGV8K and has RWHP figures significantly higher than this, then they should post it. Until then simply enjoy your car.

Ted
Ted,

I posted my before and after dynos of my 2004 E55 on here, but I'm sure they're buried below many threads in this forum. Before was 393rwhp (dyno was said to be 10hp low, using a dynojet not a mustang dyno) and after was 483rwhp using a Hennessey pulley, evosport headers, and Kleemann ecu (different company with another dynojet).

Cheers,

Darren
Old 09-27-2005, 08:47 AM

'06 M5
Originally Posted by DJe55
I haven't seen a lot (some but not a lot) of before and after dynos. Most that I've seen are in the 470 to 480 range. AAM's dyno could be low but, if you do your before and after test on the same dyno it shouldn't matter. I'm only showing a 35rwhp gain with pulley/ecu and headers. That seems a little low. I don't really care too much about the number as I do how the car feels. It does feel faster but, just not as fast as I was expecting. I'm sending the ECU back to Cory today (thanks Cory for taking care of me) for a different ECU file and we'll see if that makes any difference.
Derrick,

You know I had my car dyno'd yesterday as well and I have a K3 package. I was very disappointed in the number. It did not match my Hennessey pulley numbers even with cams. What's really interesting though is that I have raced another E55 owner when I only had a K2 setup and I walked away from him beautifully and I had 2 people in my car and he only had one. I was 6-7 car lengths ahead and still pulling shortly after take off from a stand still.

I've also found that I can toy with other E55 owners. I was going down the Dallas North Tollway about 2 weeks ago and came up on another black E55 I haven't seen in my area before. I pulled up behind him and he went WOT. As he started to take off I floored it and pulled up on his back bumper, then I let off the gas just enough to pull back, then floored it again. We went through the tolls then he got over to the next lane and gave me the thumbs up. I know he wasn't expecting another E Klasse to be able to do that to him.

It's a little confusing I know. I guess at the end of the day what matters is how I race against other people, not what dyno numbers I put down. While I would think they should correlate precisely it appears there is some magic behind it somewhere.

I want to hear JakPro1's numbers as well. Hopefully he'll post soon.

Regards,

Darren
Old 09-27-2005, 08:54 AM

'06 M5
Jim,

Don't do the mustang dyno...there should be a tuner or two in your area with a dynojet. Also, you're killing me..."a few weeks..." before you get on a dyno. Dude you're procrastinating because you're worried about the numbers! I'm just giving you a hard time my friend, but I know you're dragging your feet on this. It only takes 20-30 mins to have 3 pulls done (it takes that long if they allow some cool down time between pulls). Go get it done this week. Do I need to be your secretary and get this setup for you? lol.

Mit Freundlich Grüßen,

Darren
Old 09-27-2005, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
I posted my before and after dynos of my 2004 E55 on here, but I'm sure they're buried below many threads in this forum. Before was 393rwhp (dyno was said to be 10hp low, using a dynojet not a mustang dyno) and after was 483rwhp using a Hennessey pulley, evosport headers, and Kleemann ecu (different company with another dynojet).
...........Although the before and after results are not from the same dynometer, this is the kind of info we need. I wonder if the difference will be a bit less if the same dynometers are used. Regardless, good work. All the dyno results I have seen are from Kleemann pulleys and one custom pulley. It makes sence that your results are higher with a Hennessey pulley because they are larger Crankshaft pulleys and give a higher boost pressure. Whether this is ultimately better is not clear since heat soak issues may ensue after a couple of runs on the track or the dynometer. I am in conversation with a fellow board member to purchase his Hennessey pulley purely for the purpose of obtaining before and after dyno results which I will post on the forum.

Ted