Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55K
Radar detector/Laser shifter

Hi Guys,

My '06 e55k came with a Passport SRX installed. (My dealer installs one on each AMG car they sell).

Looking through the Passport owner's manual I saw that it came with 3 Laser shifters. The dealer installed 2 of these on the front grill.

Have you guys had experience with these laser shifters? Do you think they work as advertised?

On my previous AMG car ('02 CLK55) I had a Valentine One, which worked just fine.

Thanks,
KarlE55
Old 10-16-2005, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
It would buy you some time in case you ran into a cop. You still need to slow down for the cop to get a good reading of your car after you turned off the shifters.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:10 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Karl:

Did you get yours at Brumos? I got mine there in March, and had the SRX installed. I love it. The third laser shifter should be either above your license plate (where it is supposed to be installed) or at the top of your rear window on the inside (where I had them install mine). Since having the car for 7 mos., I've only been tagged by laser once, and I was in traffic going the speed limit on 295N just before the Buchman. I think it will give you the warning you need to jump on the breaks if you have to - don't forget to hit the button, though, to shut off the shifters, as soon as you get zapped (if you shut them off he won't be able to tell its you who's shifting/jamming him).

If you want to see something cool, I'd love to show you the etched mirror display I got done. They put the LED display from the SRX in behind the glass in the rearview mirror. It is awesome! PM me if you want to meet some time - I have a lot on the intracoastal about a mile south of Palencia (at the end of Stokes Landing Road which is the road next to that little general store on the left of Rte. 1 just south of you) and I drive by Palencia frequently.

Last edited by oblax4; 11-21-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by KarlE55
Hi Guys,

My '06 e55k came with a Passport SRX installed. (My dealer installs one on each AMG car they sell).

Looking through the Passport owner's manual I saw that it came with 3 Laser shifters. The dealer installed 2 of these on the front grill.

Have you guys had experience with these laser shifters? Do you think they work as advertised?

On my previous AMG car ('02 CLK55) I had a Valentine One, which worked just fine.

Thanks,
KarlE55
Karl,,,I have done a lot of research on this matter. I have the Passport "new1" as it IS THE BEST. V is nice too....the shifter will work into my passport but I did not get it, because it is not the best. I will sacrafice performance over Ease/funtions. The best is without a doubt, Blinder Xtreme, that is what the "prototype" is now called..XTREME version 40. The shifter is very good, but there are 2 laser guns that are new that the shifter doesn't JTG...JAM TO GUN. The BLINDER Xtreme 40 JTG'ed most all guns and the 1 it didn't sheilded down to 400 feet aimed at the headlamp.

http://www.radarbusters.com/support/...ming-tests.asp

JORDAN
Old 11-22-2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by oblax4
Karl:

Did you get yours at Brumos? I got mine there in March, and had the SRX installed. I love it. The third laser shifter should be either above your license plate (where it is supposed to be installed) or at the top of your rear window on the inside (where I had them install mine). Since having the car for 7 mos., I've only been tagged by laser once, and I was in traffic going the speed limit on 295N just before the Buchman. I think it will give you the warning you need to jump on the breaks if you have to - don't forget to hit the button, though, to shut off the shifters, as soon as you get zapped (if you shut them off he won't be able to tell its you who's shifting/jamming him).

If you want to see something cool, I'd love to show you the etched mirror display I got done. They put the LED display from the SRX in behind the glass in the rearview mirror. It is awesome! PM me if you want to meet some time - I have a lot on the intracoastal about a mile south of Palencia (at the end of Stokes Landing Road which is the road next to that little general store on the left of Rte. 1 just south of you) and I drive by Palencia frequently.
I have been researching these devices for my M5, and am leaning heavily toward the SRX (or the SR7 with shifters, which is the same device, just not restricted to sales by new car dealers). Specifically, I have been contemplating installing the display unit in the mirror. Any chance of seeing photos of your install? How difficult was it for the installer?

As for the rear shifter, I understand that it is best to install it as close as possible to the main laser targets, which are the license plate and the tail lights.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:14 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
I have the blinder xtreme 40 on mine. 2 up front, 2 in the back. both in between the main targets (license plate and head/tail lights). Tested it in my town where the local trap is and I even got the guy hitting his gun when I passed by (I gunned it, he hit me, but i took my foot off the gas once i hit the speed limit).

Xenon headlights (from the rear car) will set it off if someone gets too close in traffic.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:21 PM

'10 E63 AMG
MRichmond - check your PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Almost a Member!

06 E55K
oblax4,

I also got my car at Brumos. I notice the 2 laser shifters in the front grill but i have not seen the rear one. I will go and check tomorrow. If they didn't installed it I will ask Brumos about it.

There is a lot of cops here in JAX. There is a lot of cop cars that look like regular cars. I just don't know when one of these days I'm going to pass by one of these cars at 100+ mph.

I am always alert but eventually I'm going to get caught.

I will PM you so we can get together.

KarlE55