W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did the M5 do at the track today???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 S65
What did the M5 do at the track today???

Hey Derek, just curious how it went with the M5 today at the strip. Don't make us wait to long. Let us know as soon as you can.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
I'll let Derek tell the story....
Old 10-31-2005, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yesterday was not the M5's day at the track. Without LC being active during the "early" miles, there wasn't any launching going on. 60' times were very slow. The car trapped decently well (116mph) and with LC, I think it will be a 12.4-12.6 quarter mile car just like the E. Without the LC, it honestly felt like I was taking off in second gear.

Because this seems to be the first head to head track meeting of the E and the M, I am not going to print any times. The E was significantly faster, mostly due Amen's E being insanely fast for a stock E (fastest I've ever seen) and due to my inabilty to launch the car.

It pulls so hard at the high speeds that it needs to run the half mile. The M felt good but I need more seattime and LC needs to be active in order to make a proper performance comparison. Sorry I don't have more. I'm not wimping out, I just want to respect the "friendly" rivalry.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:59 AM

07 S65
Don't sweat it. Just let's us know when you start making some more realistics passes with the car.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
We can all be friends!
Attached Thumbnails What did the M5 do at the track today???-bmw-amg-2-.jpg  
Old 10-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
The CLK just looks SOOOO much better though!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:23 AM

But usually the ugly make best friends.

I like the looks of the M5 thought...
Old 10-31-2005, 11:26 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any videos of the M-Fi?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
Yesterday was not the M5's day at the track. Without LC being active during the "early" miles, there wasn't any launching going on. 60' times were very slow. The car trapped decently well (116mph) and with LC, I think it will be a 12.4-12.6 quarter mile car just like the E. Without the LC, it honestly felt like I was taking off in second gear.

Because this seems to be the first head to head track meeting of the E and the M, I am not going to print any times. The E was significantly faster, mostly due Amen's E being insanely fast for a stock E (fastest I've ever seen) and due to my inabilty to launch the car.

It pulls so hard at the high speeds that it needs to run the half mile. The M felt good but I need more seattime and LC needs to be active in order to make a proper performance comparison. Sorry I don't have more. I'm not wimping out, I just want to respect the "friendly" rivalry.

Derek - with all caveat's aside (nobody expected the M to be at its fastest) can you tell us what the 60 foot times were? Did the car make it into the 12's?

How fast did Amen's car run? I still have aspirations of being the first bone stock (including Conti's) E55 to run 11's. Is my dream shattered?
Old 10-31-2005, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nope, not going to do it, wouldn't be prudent.

As for Amen, I'll let him cover that but I think your dream is shattered.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Banned

Nope, not going to do it, wouldn't be prudent.

As for Amen, I'll let him cover that but I think your dream is shattered.
I understand why you aren't posting times, it will take a while before you learn the M5 and get it down. However, the M5 is a much harder car to drag than the E55, it just isn't in its element doing that. I had an 02 M3 SMG and I always had a hard time at the strip, although on the street I was able to beat c32's from a stop or roll.

I am sure once you are able to use launch control and launch at 4k the 60 foot times will improve. I am sure if the car could hook up off the line it would put down some very impressive numbers, but I don't think anyone makes a drag radial that fits the m5.

Will you be modding the M5 as well?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Ugliest chicks always hang out with the hottest ones. jk :p
Old 10-31-2005, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by newton22
Ugliest chicks always hang out with the hottest ones. jk :p
its cause the hot ones have low self esteem and hang w/ the ugly ones to get more attn. and the ugly ones are waiting around for table scraps!! lololol
Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by enzom
Derek - with all caveat's aside (nobody expected the M to be at its fastest) can you tell us what the 60 foot times were? Did the car make it into the 12's?

How fast did Amen's car run? I still have aspirations of being the first bone stock (including Conti's) E55 to run 11's. Is my dream shattered?
Sorry, I ran a first pass of 12.08@117mph (10.139 1000ft). Next good run against Derek's E55 rocket, the timer failed at the 1/4 mile mark but my 1000ft time was a respectable 10.131. I think Derek like the Road Runner blew dust on my 1/4 mile timing eye tripping it at a 10.995. or so. I'll scan in my time slip so you can see.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:24 PM

Lets not forget what you said just a few days ago--you will take M5 to the track , drive it like you stole it and post times AND VIDEOS sunday night, now you come back with neither and all you offer is "prudency".

As promissed, you could have posted times and videos and simply stated your reservations and describe circumstances. In my opinion that would be "prudent" as well, considering that there some people here that were waiting for it night and day after you promised all of that . Go back and reread your posts. No one asked you, you voluntered to post results sunday night. Does not look "prudent" to me.

Good Night, and Good Luck
Old 10-31-2005, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 Bentley GTC, Porsche GT2/EVOMS GT700, 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi
Originally Posted by AmenMercedesGo
Sorry, I ran a first pass of 12.08@117mph
Very nice Pass!!!!!

What was your 60' time?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Belmondo
Lets not forget what you said just a few days ago--you will take M5 to the track , drive it like you stole it and post times AND VIDEOS sunday night, now you come back with neither and all you offer is "prudency".

As promissed, you could have posted times and videos and simply stated your reservations and describe circumstances. In my opinion that would be "prudent" as well, considering that there some people here that were waiting for it night and day after you promised all of that . Go back and reread your posts. No one asked you, you voluntered to post results sunday night. Does not look "prudent" to me.

Good Night, and Good Luck
Wow, sounds like you're really upset. I'm sorry to hear that. My plan was do to exactly what I posted. After doing a few runs, I felt that posting my track times would not do justice to the car so I chose not to. If you don't like it, then I offer you two choices:
1) Don't read my posts
2) Buy yourself an M5 and have at it

Good night and Good luck.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
It must feel nice to own a new M5 and be the center of attention for a while, but after that, it gets a tit bit annoying doesn't it? :p
Old 10-31-2005, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 Bentley GTC, Porsche GT2/EVOMS GT700, 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi
If you don't like it, then I offer you two choices:
1) Don't read my posts

Old 10-31-2005, 10:16 PM
Almost a Member!

01 Mustang GT
I looked at Amen's slip last night for his pass against Derek's 10.95, and it very well could have been a mid to high 11.9x. No mph registered, and knowing the condition of the track there, it was probably just dumb luck that a piece of garbage blew across the beams five thousandths of a second before Derek crossed. They have timing problems all the time there. Amen's E was definitely moving.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Public Action against DerekFSU:

Under Article 5, Section 2 of the MBWorld ("MBW") bylaws, you are obligated to post all times attained on your 1/4 mile runs with one 2006 BMW M5 (E60)(whether you received a timeslip or not) and must release all video and photographs (digital or celluloid) of said event. Your previous statements of the results of your M5 experiment being "not representative of the vehicle's true capabilites", although logical, carries little weight in this proceeding. You must post these results so people (trolls are people too) can point to your test results as proof positive that the new M5 is a much slower car than their Audi/Porsche/MB/Corvette/scooter. You have no authority to refuse your commitment to the MBW and society at-large. Failure to comply with these provisions will be met with harsh hissy-fits and temper tantrums.

On a serious note. I think it is commendable that you are waiting for a more representative day to release the results. I am not a fan of the new E60 styling (or any new BMW) but it is a formidable machine. The 12.4-12.6 estimate is about what I expect, theorizing it would run similar times to the similarly powered Gallardo.

Regards,

Tom
Old 11-01-2005, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
What I would be very interested to see is the time slip of a non-LC run, from standstill.

For the record I actually like the M5 styling (exterior) while very different to the older unit the styling is really aggressive looking and the best of what Bangle has done - the 3, 7 & 6 rear ends look like add ons. The 5 interior (with respect) I cannot get to grips with - its just too much a departure from the old M5 which I prefer - mbe I am getting too old.

Anyhow I digress, just how how quick is this car in P500 mode, not launched?

Rgds Steve.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Almost a Member!

Wow, sounds like you're really upset. I'm sorry to hear that. My plan was do to exactly what I posted. After doing a few runs, I felt that posting my track times would not do justice to the car so I chose not to. If you don't like it, then I offer you two choices:
1) Don't read my posts

I'm so glad that you're being very objective and neutral when judging things, many members here will never be able to learn that. Afterall, I think only of those who have ever driven both ones have the rights to judge and decide...... I call those the lucky ones and even these lucky owners might be biased when posting their evaluations.... but being so patient and unbiased, outstanding!! I give you my respect.........
Old 11-01-2005, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by AmenMercedesGo
Sorry, I ran a first pass of 12.08@117mph (10.139 1000ft). Next good run against Derek's E55 rocket, the timer failed at the 1/4 mile mark but my 1000ft time was a respectable 10.131. I think Derek like the Road Runner blew dust on my 1/4 mile timing eye tripping it at a 10.995. or so. I'll scan in my time slip so you can see.

Thanks, Amen - So did you break into the 11's???
Old 11-01-2005, 10:00 AM

1) Don't read my posts

OK , will do that, thank you, but first I have to un "tune" myself from the avalanche of "videos and timeslips" and try to get away from all the "games" that have begun.

__________________________________________________ ______________-
DerekFSU

Mine is being delivered to me at noon in Savannah. I'll be there with the Noble running at Roebling Rd. I am then doing a drag race on Sunday. My dealer is driving it down from New York so the break-in period will be complete, almost to the mile, when I arrive at the dragstrip.

Stay tuned for videos and timeslips (Yes, the E will be there as well). Let the games begin.

Now, this one is even easier, after all how hard is it to ignore ALL the videos that were never posted??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
DerekFSU

Having been a BMW engineer (my division created these seals 4 years ago), I think I'm covered. Not really, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Select last night.

No really, I do appreciate the advice. Please ignore any timeslips and all videos posted Sunday night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, absolutly no coment on the following post, it just would not be "prudent" .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DerekFSU

Sure...... I'll just drive it softly for the first 10,000-50,000 miles. Gimme a break. I was drivin' the E like I stole it after 400 miles and it's performance hasn't seemed to suffer.

Good Night, And Good Luck..........

Last edited by Belmondo; 11-01-2005 at 10:11 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What did the M5 do at the track today???