Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting...Lemme get this straight.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting...Lemme get this straight.

New '06 E55 Three shifting modes "C", "S", "M".

C= Comfort mode. Starts in 2nd gear and shifts below 4,000 rpm

S= Sport mode. Starts in first gear. Shifts about 4,500 rpm. If you are in "S" mode and downshift when stopped, it will now upshift at redline.

M= Manual. No auto upshift. It will hit the rev limiter without shifting.

Is this right? Have I missed anything?

If I disengage ESP and use "S" mode, won't the wheelspin cause early shifts and even more wheelspin? (Haven't tried that.)
Old 11-03-2005, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by NewMoses
New '06 E55 Three shifting modes "C", "S", "M".

C= Comfort mode. Starts in 2nd gear and shifts below 4,000 rpm

S= Sport mode. Starts in first gear. Shifts about 4,500 rpm. If you are in "S" mode and downshift when stopped, it will now upshift at redline.

M= Manual. No auto upshift. It will hit the rev limiter without shifting.

Is this right? Have I missed anything?

If I disengage ESP and use "S" mode, won't the wheelspin cause early shifts and even more wheelspin? (Haven't tried that.)
Everything is correct except "M" mode also auto-upshifts. It will run to redline, but if you dont manually upshift, the ECU will do it for you.. (At least that's what it does in my 2003).. I wish it didnt auto-upshift in my car because at the track its a pain when you want to keep a gear and the ECU keeps upshifting on you.

Maybe they changed this in 2005 cars???
Old 11-03-2005, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Not sure whether W210 follows the same concept (no driving modes except Sport and Winter)...

For mine, in manual mode, I remember correctly that once I shifted down (so it changed from auto to manual), I could rev it till it hits rev limiter..... so it was clear that there was no upshift in manual (never and don't want to try it again, though).

If you brake your car until it stops and it's in manual mode, no matter what gear you were in, it'll start from 1st again. I tried this couple times.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:24 PM

///E63V10 ///F80CS ///Can-Am X3 XRS
Victor,
I have an 05 and it will not upshift automatically in "M" mode. However, our 03 G55 does upshift when redlining.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the "M" mode was available prior to 2005. I know this to be true in the C-class. Not as certain about the E55. From 2002-2004, the C32 only had a "S" or "C" modes. You can still manually change the gears by tapping the gear shift levers at any time, but there was no official "M" mode. If you manually change gears, the car will still upshift if you hit redline.

In 2005, the C55 was the first C-class to have 3 separate modes (ie the button had M, S, and C written on it). In "M" mode, the car will not upshift even if you bounce off the limiter. However, it will still automatically downshift to 1 if you bring the car to a complete stop. It was also the first time that steering wheel buttons were installed to allow for shifting without using the gearshift lever.

Also, when in either S or C modes, the upshift points varies depending on your driving style (like typcial adapative automatic transmissions). In S mode, the car will always upshift later (the car will usually run at higher rpm's), and the car will more aggressively downshift when you lift off the throttle or brake. In C mode, car starts in 2nd gear and will upshift at the earliest possible rpm to ensure smooth comfortable shifts (perfect for a lazy cruise and if you want save a bit on gas).
Old 11-03-2005, 05:01 PM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
I have an 04 W211 E55. It definitely has manual mode, and it definitely does not upshift if you bang the red line - you will hit your head on the dashboard as it falls flat on its face when you bounce on the rev limiter.

Beleive me I have tried in Manual to shift faster than it does in Sport, and maybe just once or twice I got it right - the other times I was late with the shift and smacked my head .....LOL

Siwsati
Old 11-03-2005, 05:22 PM

In normal "S" mode, my tranny shifts about 4,500 rpm, but if, while stopped, I tap the downshift paddle till "1" appears, it will shift at redline. Very nice. It does not do that in "S" mode unless I tap the shifter down.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Damn.. So you 2004+ E55 guys have a real M mode. My "M" mode has the auto-upshift which pisses me off.. If you call it "M" it should be "M" damnit.

Ok.. Now I have to go bug someone at MB to reprogram my Transmission Computer Module.

Also, on the 2003 E55 the steering wheel buttons are NOT USEABLE in S or C mode. They only activate in M mode. I know the 2004+ cars can use the steering wheel buttons anytime.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:48 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I'm not sure but the adaptive properties may affect the shift pattern significantly.

I drive the **** out of mine and use sport mode exclusively and I have not noticed that mine ever short shifts. Seems to me that it shifts just before redline if it's floored all of the time. I'll check it tomorrow to make sure.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:31 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
In S mode my 05 goes to 6500 RPM and shifts under all circumstances when WOT.

If you use the shift buttons it holds the gear in S or M mode to the rev limiter.

If you have it in S mode and you manually put it in "4" it automatically shifts 1st thru 4th then holds it out of 5th. The same goes for "3" (then holds it out of 4th and 5th).

I don't know what it does in C because I never use it.

In my car ther is no reason to use anything but S mode and the shift buttons (if you are so inclined).
Old 11-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Almost a Member!

E55AMG, Smart
Originally Posted by JAY55
Victor,
I have an 05 and it will not upshift automatically in "M" mode. .
My '05 E55 can't either!