Sponsored by:

Side Markers & Bi-Xenons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E63 AMG
Side Markers & Bi-Xenons

I replaced my amber side marker lenses a couple months ago, and replaced the amber bulbs with clear ones. They always looked a little yellow to me, so I just replaced the bulbs with PIAA Extreme White bulbs (#PIAA19172) and they look awesome! Very bright white, not yellow at all. ($14.50 plus shipping for the pair of bulbs from Sportscar Accessories, Inc.).

Well, now that the side marker lights are brighter white, I was looking at how yellow my halogen "inboard" lights are (#5 in the owners manual on p. 431). Does anyone know what you can replace these bulbs with for a whiter light? Also, are these difficult to replace (the side markers were easy, but I'm not sure I want to mess with the main headlamps).

So, now that I'm looking at my lamps, I am also looking at the Xenon "outboard" lamps. I paid for the 319 Lighting Package which is supposed to have active curve-sensing Bi-xenon headlamps. My headlamps automatically "level" vertically on start-up, but I don't really see them cycle right and left like they are supposed to do. My understanding of Bi-xenon is that the same xenon bulb is used for both high and low beams (a mechanical shutter moves to focus the light through the lenses for low beams, and then the shutter is lowered out of the way for the high beam). When I click my high beams on and off, I don't have any change in the brightness of the xenons in the outboard #4 position lamps, but rather, a second yellowish (halogen?) bulb illuminates in the inboard #5 position lamp. Does it sound to you like I may not have the Active Bi-xenon headlamps that I paid for with the 319 Lighting Package? If I didn't have the 319 Lighting Package, would I still have a "Uni-xenon" lamp outoboard? I definitely have xenon lamps in the #4 outboards.

If someone could clarify this for me I would be grateful. I will be really pissed if the stealership took my $1200 and never told me I didn't get what I ordered. I have had the car for 7mos., and just assumed I had curve-sensing Bi-xenons!

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
I don't really notice my active-curve-sensing Bi-Xenons either. Steve said that you have to go up to a certain speed before they will activate. Therefore, if you take a 90 degree turn at 10, 15 mph, the light will not curve.

For the city lights, you can also replace them with the 19172 PIAA
Old 11-08-2005, 07:54 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Fog Light Bulb Replacement

Okay, I'm good with this bi-xenon thing now. Thanks for your help, Kev.

My new questions is: does anyone know an easy way to replace the bulbs in the front fog lights?

I am replacing the halogen parking lights and halogen high beam bulbs with PIAA Xtreme whites, and I found I can reach my hand down behind the lamp casing and unfasten the bulb plugs with some, but not too much, difficulty. Bottom line is I can do it. The fogs are a different story. Can they be gotten to?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2005, 09:57 PM

Hi,

I have a 2005 e55 with the bi-xenon lights (at least that is what my window sticker says). I noticed the same thing when I looked at the lights. It certainly seems to me that when the brights are turned on the inner lamps light up with a bright halogen bulb. My first reaction was confusion as well. I am still not sure of what occurs. I know that on some cars, ie 996tt etc, when the birghts are applied there is some type of internal lens that moves to allow more output of the xenon lamp. One of these days we will figure what is going on up there. Until then I keep telling myself, damn those bi-xenons are really something!

cheers

frank
Old 11-08-2005, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Frank,

You're right about the change in the lens when you turn on your high beams. This would change the projection angle and allow more light to be projected on to the road as well as ahead of you.

The halogen hi-beams are for accessory and flasher purpose.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:10 PM

04 CL600
Are saying that on my inner front lights on my 01 e55 I can replace the yellow halogen lights with a more white looking light? What would you recommend then?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Crack open your owner's manual, find out what kind of bulbs they are and go to one of the many online shop to find out what they have to offer. Brands include Osram/Sylvania, Philips, PIAA, Raybrig, Nokya, etc.