Sponsored by:

How do you guys clean your engines.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M5
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
It wont short out anything will it. If so Im gonna try this on my Odyssey. It needs it badly. :-D
Now to think of it, I've rinsed my engine with Engine Brite just about every other month. To conserve, I only use Engine Brite only where I need it most (engine block and oil cap area), so I rarely spray on the electronics. However, if the entire engine is filthy, such as a first ever wash, I tend to be trigger happy and spray everywhere. Washes after that, I lightly hose the electronics with water all the time. They're usually well protected from moisture.

If you're worried about it, read the 3rd paragraph about covering the intakes, distributor and electricals with baggies or foil: http://www.carcareonline.com/viewarticle.aspx?art=4

Personally, I think most of those preventions are a little overboard. For example, the area around the oil cap and power steering fluild are the most dirty. For that, that's the first place I tend to spray Engine Brite. I never cover those areas.

Keep in mind, I'm not a mechanic, so it's probably saftest to cover the above parts. But again, I've never covered anything every time I wash my engine, which is about every other month for the last 8 years. I'm sure more will repond with similar answers in the next day or so.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've tried engine brite on my bmw and it honestly was not spectacular, but meguires lasts forever and makes hte engine look brand new.