W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another true VIDEO M5 test versus P Turbo,997s.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What can you do to a NA 5L V10 that will make big enough difference to account for the disparity between the videos.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by reggid
What can you do to a NA 5L V10 that will make big enough difference to account for the disparity between the videos.
some one needs to get an ecu dump of the euro version and see if there is any diff

other than that there isnt really anything else,I mean it takes like 2-3 days for adaptation to set in but after 1800 miles that should already be done

im sure the euro one was on high octane (above normal) that was tested so maybe the m5 will pick up some power with 100+ octane
Old 12-01-2005, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Originally Posted by Mardeth
The one against 996TT, the M5 seems to start with kind of low rpm?

He floored it at 9 seconds and shifted at 11 seconds. Any idea of where you'd be in the rev range to have to pull the shift paddle in 2 seconds? I would guess it could not have been that low.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Absolutely worthless video,guy can't drive SMG,doesn't know how to launch,forgets to turn on P500?!
A 997S is a slow car,when traded my '04 S600 for one,was sorely disappointed with how gutless it was.
A stock 996TT will just keep up with the stock E55 and will lose to M5 at anything more then 60mph.
But,as someone here said,a lot depends on a driver,so it is possible that a Granma in a Toyota/Lexus will beat a high performance manual car driven by a total diletante.
Amateurs:start barking.....
Old 12-01-2005, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by M5 RUS
After 2000 miles service the M5 is not even broken in...BMW does not advice to Full RPM the car until 5000 km....

I think we need to compare equal millaged cars or give M5 some more time to be broken inn properly...

I'd say after 10.000 miles it would run faster...and the it would fair to compare...

With M5... when you use launch control, you need to switch off Traction control, but this guy does not...

A lot depends on the driver!!!

Cant wait to see E55 vs M5...I hope E55 will be new or as low millaged as M5...So there would be not excuses...
Rus - why would he be using launch control in a rolling race on a highway? I know of no other car that needs 10,000 miles to be able to race. Yes, cars get marginally quicker as they break-in, but it is hardly an unfair race because the M5 may not have had 10,000 miles. Heck - my quickest 1/4 mile was when my E had 1,700 miles.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the mileage excuses are getting old. No matter how sophisticated the M5 powerplant is.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Originally Posted by enzom
Rus - why would he be using launch control in a rolling race on a highway?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the mileage excuses are getting old. No matter how sophisticated the M5 powerplant is.
How can you even think that I could talk about launch control in rolling race???

Everybody knows what is launch control FOR...

Sorry if you didnt understand ME right but I was talking about dead stop race...

997S with 305 rears is much easier to launch then M5 with 285s...

I also think that the guy need to learn how to handle M5 and still think it that it needs more millage...

There must a reason for BMW to say that the engine brake inn takes 5000km...and NOT go FULL RPMS until that...

I even think its stupid, to race the car when its not even broken inn yet...

Last edited by E55 RUSS; 12-01-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:36 AM

07 S65
The reason for the long break in time is so they don't start blowing up like all our M3 did. I haven't been around any motor that needs that much break in time or milage. It's all BS to keep the guys that like to beat on there car a little bit out of the gas for a while. Car makers have surveys that they do in the first few thousand miles of a car and if I guy is beating on it at the track your bound to have something go wrong. Down goes your quality. It's BS and I don't care how much time you give that car to break in, your not going to notice the difference that it might make in power.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by DJe55
The reason for the long break in time is so they don't start blowing up like all our M3 did. I haven't been around any motor that needs that much break in time or milage. It's all BS to keep the guys that like to beat on there car a little bit out of the gas for a while. Car makers have surveys that they do in the first few thousand miles of a car and if I guy is beating on it at the track your bound to have something go wrong. Down goes your quality. It's BS and I don't care how much time you give that car to break in, your not going to notice the difference that it might make in power.
thats true for most cars but the m5 engine is a little different.

you do know that the m5 eats up 2-3 quarts of oil in every 1000 or so miles during its break in right.

how many other cars do you know of that go threw that much oil during breakin.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by E55_POWER
I must say...I drive the M5 daily, I drove my buddy's 996TT X50 Tiptronic mind you (I'll explain why Tip and no manual) and the X50 is noticeably Stronger. I know it's not a good comparison using my butt dyno but man, it is what it is. I just can't see a M5 pulling a 996TT, an 997CS, sure, but a TT I just can't see it.

Despite what I run on the track on Friday it won't change my mind.

Now, my buddy has a Tip because he's losing strength in his legs, thus the reason he got a Gallardo E-Gear and SLR instead of the CGT. This guy has too many cars, ala RenntechV12 I think their stables are about the same. He has a 996TT X50, CLS55, Gallardo, SLR, and Cherokee for the snow (he lives in Chicago). My hats off to both my buddy and RenntechV12 for the FINE stable of whips.

I may be buying the 996TT X50 (tip ) off my buddy at a "steal".
I tried emailing you (you don't accept email through the board) and your PM box is full, would you mind sending me an email - marcus _at_ garagedynamics.com

Thanks.

-m
Old 12-01-2005, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by absent
Absolutely worthless video,guy can't drive SMG,doesn't know how to launch,forgets to turn on P500?!
A 997S is a slow car,when traded my '04 S600 for one,was sorely disappointed with how gutless it was.
A stock 996TT will just keep up with the stock E55 and will lose to M5 at anything more then 60mph.
But,as someone here said,a lot depends on a driver,so it is possible that a Granma in a Toyota/Lexus will beat a high performance manual car driven by a total diletante.
Amateurs:start barking.....
Absent,

I think that's a pretty bold accusation to say someone doesn't know how to drive SMG. There's no clutch, no lever... you just tap the paddle when you are at the appropriate RPM. I know guy who made this video, he says the M5 owner can drive just fine - there was no need for launch control as they never raced from a stop.

A stock 996TT will not typically keep up with a stock E55. I kept up with a 425rwhp Upsolute Chipped 996TT 6-speed on 53 South from 100-155mph. When I mean kept up, I mean dead even. My car was stock at the time. The guy driving the 996TT was a good friend of mine, and can definitely drive. I've done a LOT of highway rolls (and I know, I need to start filming) and am very aware of what my E55 can do.

When the snow goes away I would love the opportunity to run an E60 M5 with my E55. We have plenty of roads to do it on out here, I just don't know anyone locally with an M5.

-m
Old 12-01-2005, 10:43 AM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by DJe55

Drive it like you stole it BABY! Alex & I drove his new M5 hard with less then 1000 miles a few week ago. I drove it up to the rev limiter to see what she could do. He has close to 2000 miles on it and will be running the **** out of it at the track tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Wait until my E55 gets 21,234.5356 miles on it and it will be much faster! What a load of M5 BS! After waiting and waiting for these M5's to finally get into the US and show me what they have against the E55 heads up...they show me nothing but dissapointment.

Okay, it handles better then my 55...wow! Turn #3 coming into my work is really tough, I wish I had an M5 to handle it better. Let's not forget about Turn #6 into my subdivision...man, watch out! And finally, "Blood Alley", this hairpin on my street right before you hit my mailbox -- it's a tough one...I need the M5 for that one as well.

Don't get me wrong, the M5 is a great car and I would consider owning one if I didn't love my 55, but stop with the excuses already boys -- it's over! To admit defeat is an honor when you lose to the 55.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:33 AM
MBH

2005 E55 Delivered 01/07/05
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
http://media.putfile.com/997CS-vs-M5
This video is from about 60km/h to 220km/h, M5 start at 1st gear.

http://media.putfile.com/996TT-vs-M5
This video is from about 60km/h to 210km/h.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...layable%3Atrue

We both start at 1st gear, Im in the M5, it spin at 1st gear and ESP it on until 2nd gear. You can see the 997 jump ahead for 2 cars lenght. Then catch the 997 at about 200km/h and walk away then. The M5 top at 264km/h

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...layable%3Atrue

forgot to turn on P500 mode at this video. You can see big different in P400 and P500.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...threadid=37856

intresting discussion too.

Let see what the new M5 will do when the 997TT comes out next fall with 500HP. That would be a fair match. Can't wait to see that.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:00 PM

E63, GT500
Originally Posted by MBAMGPWR
Wait until my E55 gets 21,234.5356 miles on it and it will be much faster! What a load of M5 BS! After waiting and waiting for these M5's to finally get into the US and show me what they have against the E55 heads up...they show me nothing but dissapointment.

Okay, it handles better then my 55...wow! Turn #3 coming into my work is really tough, I wish I had an M5 to handle it better. Let's not forget about Turn #6 into my subdivision...man, watch out! And finally, "Blood Alley", this hairpin on my street right before you hit my mailbox -- it's a tough one...I need the M5 for that one as well.

Don't get me wrong, the M5 is a great car and I would consider owning one if I didn't love my 55, but stop with the excuses already boys -- it's over! To admit defeat is an honor when you lose to the 55.

It seems the E55 has come a long way from being completely humiliated by the M5.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Originally Posted by Bubbaboy
It seems the E55 has come a long way from being completely humiliated by the M5.
Werd! Plus, I like to see the M5 guys get red in the face...pretty fun. :p
Old 12-01-2005, 12:17 PM

'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Hi M5RUS

After 2000 miles service the M5 is not even broken in...BMW does not advice to Full RPM the car until 5000 km....

I think we need to compare equal millaged cars or give M5 some more time to be broken inn properly...

I'd say after 10.000 miles it would run faster...and the it would fair to compare...

With M5... when you use launch control, you need to switch off Traction control, but this guy does not...

A lot depends on the driver!!!

Cant wait to see E55 vs M5...I hope E55 will be new or as low millaged as M5...So there would be not excuses...
its worth noting in this never ending freindly debate that I took my new E55 with only 1,100 miles to the Moroso drag strip in November last year. I had never been down a strip in my life, never practiced any launches, and I just set it in Granny mode (ESP on, and auto shift). Just stomped it. Ran a 12.5 at 114mph the very FIRST Time.

So its pretty obvious that anyone in a an E55 can run mid 12's anyday. And we have seen what really great drivers can do with practice, we have several bone stock E55's at 12 flat and one bone stock E55 in the 11's now.

And I am the first to agree that the M5 is a more engaging car to drive, and I think that that is a good thing, but why should it be difficult. Bye now we should have MANY M5's under 12.5secs, if its an equivalent accelerating car. ANd there are many US models with well over 1500 miles.

The fact that there are NONE in the mid 12's, one month after the launch, speaks volumes.

Now dont get me wrong, if I lived in the Canyons I would be paying a premium to jump the wait list and get my hands on one of those delicious M5's.

But as a salesman, I have always believed in the philosophy of "under-sell and over deliver", and I think this is exactly where GUSTAV screwed up - with all his hype and staged videos, he created such high expectations for this car that in many instances it is going to be a very disappointing vehicle for a lot of people, to say the least (but I am also sure that in many cases it will fortunately over deliver on some expectations).

just my $0.02
Siswati
Old 12-01-2005, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
I feel I have to comment on the "wait for break-in" garbage as well.

I've been around a lot of high-hp motors. Ones that rev to 11k, 1500hp, turbo, supercharged, normally aspirated, 4 cylinder, 6, 8, 10, 12 you name it. I'm not talking about race car engines either, I'm talking about engines in street cars. Everyone seems to think because BMW says the car needs X amount of miles to break-in that it's magically going to release another 50hp once it reaches that point like a butterfly coming out of it's cocoon. I'll be really clear: that is a load of bull****. The break-in procedure BMW has for these cars is to protect their *** from idiots who don't give a **** about their cars. They just make the interval extra long to make absolutely sure even the guy who does 60mph on the highway everyday and never varies RPMs has had time to properly seat everything in the motor. Because of the high-rpm nature of the motors they are a bit more touchy to break-in procedures and we've already seen what can happen with their engines given the slightest defect (hello E46 M3).

I think the M5 is a fantastic car but people not wanting to even begin to admit a lot of the hype around it may not have been well-deserved is ridiculous. You can blame it on the tooth fairy if you want, it's not going to change facts. The M5 and E55 are built for different mentalities and different buyers. Even if stock the M5 is faster you aren't going to see them adding 100hp from a pulley/chip/exhaust like we can, so what's the point in arguing who's faster? E55s won't be able to handle like M5s, M5s won't be able to accerlate like E55s. My daddy can beat up your daddy... but only after he drives for 2000 miles. Just give it a rest.

You find me 1 serious street engine builder who's ever told his customer to break in his 1000hp or hell, 2000hp motor for 3000 miles and I will delete my post and praise you as my new God. If these people knew about the mechanics of engine building they would not be saying 3000 miles will really make a difference. Engines do require break-ins, but a 3000 mile break in is like giving a hooker an 18-hour instructional video on oral sex.

My $.02

-m
Old 12-01-2005, 01:56 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Funny that my Dual Xeon machine got slower after 10,000 hours And my Dual Xeon is suppose be a high "hyperthreading" processor. Intel did state in the box that reboot of Windows should occur with proper Shutdown via Start, Shutdown, and not by turning off machine. And no high graphics programs are to be used until the first 1200 hours until reseating of the processors, then use high graphics software on and off but not too much until 3000 hours of processor use...

Just kidding.

C'mon guys, every car I've owned, I've driven it like "I stole it". The 1 car I babied, which was my very first car I bought on my own, a 97 Nissan Maxima, it drove like **** after 2000 miles and it was noticeably slower than other Maximas.

I have to agree that the 1200, 3000, or whatever mileage break in rule, IMO is only there for the longevity of the motor and so that BMW doesn't have to cough up warranty work over and over.

Frankly, I keep my cars for an average of 4 months...next man's problem
Old 12-01-2005, 02:13 PM

04 E55 white.
BoBcanada which videos had p500 mode?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350
Originally Posted by Vic55
That makes 3 of us.... we should do some M5 vs E55 runs

I called you about that Le Mans blue one, i think thats the color name. He was sitting in walmart trying to figure out how to get the 507 HP im guessing.

Also Yayo a friendly race with Wolf, or Vic is in order. I have a friend with a CLS who might run you.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by DancingBenzos
I called you about that Le Mans blue one, i think thats the color name. He was sitting in walmart trying to figure out how to get the 507 HP im guessing.

Also Yayo a friendly race with Wolf, or Vic is in order. I have a friend with a CLS who might run you.
I met your CLS buddy, hope he has 600hp at the crank Freddy.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:11 PM

xx
I guess the bottom line of all of this E55 vs M5 stuff is that with equal drivers the E55 should take it from a stop up to highway speeds. But if the two drivers rolled up on each other at 100MPH and punched it from there, the M5 may be able to do better.

Last edited by Accomplice8; 12-01-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:02 PM

Lets have a look with mroe M5s

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Okay, so we just saw a 997TT pretty much walk the M5.

Now, here is Super Gus video of the M5 versus a X50 WITH Techart pushing 510 hp....it absolutely can not pull an inch (well perhaps it pulls a foot) on the M5.

Video

We are talking about a car that pulls high 11's all day long stock (dragtimes).....THIS one is Techart at 510 and the Gustav M5 stays even.

Sorry, that is pretty much Check and Mate......the Gus vids are either staged or he got a juiced car for publicity.

I am NOT hating the M5 or flaming, but when you throw up staged vids on the net, or post fake times on dragtimes.com, you have to be called out.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Just my two cents...real motors are broken in once they are put together and fired up at the factory!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Absent,

I think that's a pretty bold accusation to say someone doesn't know how to drive SMG. There's no clutch, no lever... you just tap the paddle when you are at the appropriate RPM. I know guy who made this video, he says the M5 owner can drive just fine - there was no need for launch control as they never raced from a stop.

A stock 996TT will not typically keep up with a stock E55. I kept up with a 425rwhp Upsolute Chipped 996TT 6-speed on 53 South from 100-155mph. When I mean kept up, I mean dead even. My car was stock at the time. The guy driving the 996TT was a good friend of mine, and can definitely drive. I've done a LOT of highway rolls (and I know, I need to start filming) and am very aware of what my E55 can do.

When the snow goes away I would love the opportunity to run an E60 M5 with my E55. We have plenty of roads to do it on out here, I just don't know anyone locally with an M5.

-m
hey marcus, i think u and absent should met up in spring or summer and have a good old race-- E55 vs M5. i'll even tape it in my little ol C55

hey absent, r u down for the race if marcus agrees?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another true VIDEO M5 test versus P Turbo,997s.