Sponsored by:

Quarter Mile times

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Quarter Mile times

What is the fastest anyone as run the Quarter Mile in so far with a Bone Stock E55? I am running my new '06 this weekend here in Phoenix on Friday night and Sunday morning. Sunday I am going to use 100 Octane Racing fuel but not on Friday to see the difference. Otherwise I have no modifications and am curious what others have experienced.

JJ III 55
Old 12-01-2005, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Try a search, but I believe housclass ran 11.84.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
What is the fastest anyone as run the Quarter Mile in so far with a Bone Stock E55? I am running my new '06 this weekend here in Phoenix on Friday night and Sunday morning. Sunday I am going to use 100 Octane Racing fuel but not on Friday to see the difference. Otherwise I have no modifications and am curious what others have experienced.
.............stock W211 E55 runs mid to low 12's usually. There have been a few 11's. The fastest time has been 11.84. LINK

Ted
Old 12-01-2005, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Remember, roll on that throttle as quickly yet smoothly as you can......stomp it off the line and you are doomed to 13's or higher 12's.

Without drag radials, our biggest problem is getting these things going..after that just put on the tunes and enjoy....well for the other 11seconds.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by JJIII55
Be sure to record the temperature during your runs each day. If possible, put the 100 octane in Fri night or Sat morning to give the ECU a chance to adapt. Might want to do some spirited driving if you do.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:04 PM

04 CL600
Grummpy I am interested in your results. Let us know. I recently got a bottle of 100 octane to try at the strip but it is snowing now so I will have to wait until spring.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Be sure to record the temperature during your runs each day. If possible, put the 100 octane in Fri night or Sat morning to give the ECU a chance to adapt. Might want to do some spirited driving if you do.

Does the MB ECU add timing until it sees knock?

I can't see how a stock car would benefit from anything other than what MB determined to be the max available at the pump. Otherwise, our cars would be constantly pulling timing. Unless your car is pulling timing due to knock retard, how can it benefit from increased octane?

Based on my own personal experience with power-adder V8s (blower and nitrous), I saw no gains from higher octane when I had a pump gas tune. These are not MBs, but the principles would be the same... or am I missing something?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by WayneE
Does the MB ECU add timing until it sees knock?
No, it probably doesn't, and I didn't mean to imply such. My comment is based on how much more sophisticated the current generation of ECUs has become. They are much more adaptive in nature than in the recent past. There is a plethora of parametric data being stored in the memory registers that affects engine performance.

I'm not privy to what's actually in the programs, but I suspect there are multiple fuel/spark maps available, depending on operating conditions. In some cases, if you drive like a wimp, the car will run like a wimp. Drive it harder and it will perform better.

In general, adding a higher octane fuel will help prevent the ECU from pulling timing if the engine's near detonation. But, unless the engine is re-tuned for the higher octane, it will also have the same effect as pulling timing because of the slower burn rate. If he were to run the car a couple of days with the higher octane fuel, it's possible that the ECU will adapt to it and select a more aggresive map. Donno - but it couldn't hurt.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
From my experience, there is not as much "leeway" in the factory E55 timing maps to say 100 octane is going to make a big difference. I've ran it a few times. On top of sometimes having trouble starting because of the slow burn, I really didn't feel a difference. Maybe on extreme cold days on higher RPM pulls there was a little more, but my butt-dyno is hardly concrete science. In some of my old cars putting in 100 octane was as good as "put it in and go" - ECU would immediately start increasing timing until it saw knock. In addition, like you said Grumpy, you actually want to run the LOWEST amount of octane until you get knock because higher octane is harder to burn. This gets complicated with an adaptive ECU, but the concept remains true no matter the situation.

What I really wish is that Evo, Kleemann, or whoever would make a switchable ECU program for our cars like you can get on VWs, Porsches, and my Audi. I've got my 93 octane program for everyday, simple flick of the switch and I can have my car running a 100 octane program (provided, I have 100 octane in the tank, of course). Increased timing, much better power (+80hp and +100tq) and immediately reversible.

It's not a difficult concept, I just wish someone would do it. I'm sure they'd have plenty of people's attention!

-m
Old 12-02-2005, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Grumpy/Marcus, that was sort of my point - most of the uninformed think that if you put RACE GAS in your car it will go faster. Generally not true and it can do the opposite.

I didn't think it would make any difference on a bone stock E55. It will be nice when there is a switchable ECU/map setup available for modded E55s. The times will come down when that happens.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:01 PM

2006 E55
Qtr mile

I will let you all know how it goes. Tonight should be a good night at the track as the weather is cool in Phx right now. It should be around 60 to 65 degrees when I run. Would love to hear how it went today with the M5 out East. I will follow that thread as well. Go 55 Go!!!