W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Can a CLK DTM be purchased in the US???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55, 12 CLS63
Originally Posted by silversurfer
I was in the Gwagen...

But Peter's RS car isn't in the US is it? I thought he flew it over here just for the Run?

Any idea where the PR will be next year? I've already signed up but haven't heard anything. You running the SV again?

Were you the guys in daily custumes? Chewy and Dart? Bush and Saddam? LV prisoners? Good times.

Peter's RS was sold here in the US. Last I heard, Seinfeld was one of the guys trying to buy it. Funny story about that RS. After a couple of months of not driving his car, Peter finally had the Player's Run stickers removed by his detailer. Not knowing about the GT3-RS, the detailer peeled off all the Player's Run sticker including all the red GT3-RS OEM stickers. Peter had to order and install the new stickers from Germany before his buyers came in and looked at the car.

From what I've heard, the next Player's Run will be from LA to Denver. Markus promised to schedule a lot less driving than we did this year. As you remember, this year's schedule was brutal, 10-12 hours of daily driving. I'm definitely going again, but I don't know what car I'm taking as of yet. Hope to see you there.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Last edited by wiz357; 12-13-2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:16 AM

'05 E55TK, '00 Brabus/Kleemann 5.8 GCab, '05 CLK DTM
no, I think those were the german guys in the new ML. I'd like to do it in June too, but LA to Denver isn't a very inspiring route...we'll see.

Sorry to take over the thread. Good luck finding a DTM
Old 12-13-2005, 09:09 AM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a real big difference between just doing the DOT work (safety) conversion and doing the EPA work (emissions). DOT work, say on a Euro-spec car is often fairly easy and just entails changing out the front bumper (with bumper-mounted front turn signals) with an existing US market front bumper and then doing the wiring (less than $20 grand). Importing a car into the US that was never produced for the US market (959, CLK DTM, MC12 for example) means that the engine does not have a US Emissions Certification sticker on it -- and you are not going to get that legally into the US, past customs at the port, period. US law requires the ICI conversion route ($100 -$150 grand). You are not going to get it registered or insured. Only an idiot would risk a $500,000 to $1,500,000 car being in the US illegally! Those you see most likely have been simply Euro-spec conversions, or the ICI work has been done, or they were imported under 'track-only', 'race-only', or 'dealer-display' only, etc.
The law is quite clear on this, and none of us who have brains and money and exotics in this country think that it is worth the risk criminally or civilly to try to 'get away with something' when the cost of legal importation and conversion is considered just a percentage of the cost of the car. We're not talking slipping the emissions testing station attendant some money to smog your modified car here....
[Adults don't F with the law when it comes to their expensive toys -- believe me. In fact adults don't F with the law or engage in risky behavior (like high rates of speed on the street) because there is simply too much to lose -- and it is not worth it.]
So whatever they do or don't do in Florida for payola? Whatever -- but don't be misleading some poor kid or sucker on the forum with your idiotic belief or understanding that it is easy - and OK - to bring, have, and operate a foreign exotic in this country illegally as it just doesn't work that way...I know exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:59 AM

04 E55, 12 CLS63
Originally Posted by ClayJ
<snip>

[Adults don't F with the law when it comes to their expensive toys -- believe me. In fact adults don't F with the law or engage in risky behavior (like high rates of speed on the street) because there is simply too much to lose -- and it is not worth it.]
So whatever they do or don't do in Florida for payola? Whatever -- but don't be misleading some poor kid or sucker on the forum with your idiotic belief or understanding that it is easy - and OK - to bring, have, and operate a foreign exotic in this country illegally as it just doesn't work that way...I know exactly what I'm talking about.
It sound like you know what you are talking about. However, wake up and smell the coffee. Sorry to bring you the bad new, but adults do speed and break the law all the time, some even drink and drive. I'm sure they would also find a way do bring these exotic cars in illegally all the time. I already know of 4 people that has Euro only exotics that gets driven in the US occasionally. One of those cars is even driven in the smog-tough CA. Two of them had been pulled over without their car getting shredded, as you put it. I'm sure there are a lot more these guys I don't know about. So believe it or not, there are cars out there that are in here illegally, but with plates. I'm not misleading some poor kid or sucker in this forum. I'm just saying it can be done easier than you think.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:02 PM

04 E55, 12 CLS63
Originally Posted by silversurfer
no, I think those were the german guys in the new ML. I'd like to do it in June too, but LA to Denver isn't a very inspiring route...we'll see.

Sorry to take over the thread. Good luck finding a DTM

Sorry. I got confused between the ML and the G. I did remember those guys were the Germans. I think I remember yo know, black G with the removable top? Not your run of the mill Gwagen.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
ClayJ, You may think you know what you are talking about but there are some misleading things in your reply. This "ICI Conversion" is not required, all you have to do is have prior written consent from the EPA and present it at the port. And I hardly would ever imagine that 200-300 Euro 360 owners in the US spent 100-170K just to certify their cars. Now, I'm sorry but there are a lot of corrupt officials in the government today and they are willing to take a little on the side. That might sound wrong but there's no denying the truth, no misleading information here. You should see what comes through the ports of Miami, trust me these officials aren't remotely concerned about 1 Euro-Spec Car. They have a lot more to worry about on their hands... immigrants, illegal drugs, weapons, etc.

And some of us are willing to risk a little in order to get a little. The majority of the people who "smuggle" these cars into the US aren't going to buy it and leave it in Europe just so they can have a little joy every two months or so. Now, some people have enough that they do leave their cars in Europe but we're talking about a very small percentage. Now about the insurance, You have a misconception, You can have anything insured for a price. There are insurance companies specializing in just this area.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Alex, CLK DTM is my dream car and there are a few already in the US so obviously it can be imported.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CLK320
CLK DTM at Laguna

Mercedes-Benz of Laguna Niguel definitely has the CLK DTM on their showroom floor, but it's not for sale. According to them, the AMG factory only authorized two for the States...they have one, and there's one in Florida. Very difficult to modify and certify it as street-legal in the states.

If there are any others in the States, it was done independently and is not one of the cars that the AMG factory produced.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:13 AM
ON PROBATION

Didn't mean to be bombastic, thanks for not replying as nastily as you could have. But the fact of the matter is that I have brought 3 CLK DTM's, 3 MC12's, an F1, a CLK GTR, and a Zonda S into the country this year -- and couldn't pull off an EV12. Every one of these cars had over $100K paid for the conversion -- you just simply can't get past the emissions on a non-US certified engine. It is like being the fugitive who is on the run for 10 years and then finally gets caught and is then introduced to "Bubba" his new cellmate -- I have known a couple of guys over the years (early 959'ers, etc.) who played the game...but you always eventually get caught. No One I know is going to risk the million (or two-and-a-half in one case) they invested in the car over an extra 100K to 150K to certify. Sure a Euro-spec car costing less than 200K might be worht the risk compared to the cost of conversion; but once you get over $500K? No Way. There is a complete difference between Euro-spec DOT and Non-US EPA; I could see the possibility of bringing in a grey-market or Euro-spec car and getting away with it for awhile, and then solving it in the end with conversion. But it is a whole different ballgame with the Non-US certified engines. and that is why Bugatti, Koenigsegg, Pagani, Spyker, Lotus, Leblanc - all these guys - are now paying the cost and spending the time getting their powerplants US certified, because the US market is just too important to them to miss out on....
And yes, I have known guys, personally, who have lost their cars...they cry.
Oh, and there are at least 6 CLK DTM's on the road in the US that I know of. I know for a fact that 4 of them were converted, and I'm pretty sure that at least one of the other two was as well...and I assume all of them were. You'll see them and MC12's in this country -- the cars are HOT and worth converting.

Last edited by ClayJ; 12-14-2005 at 12:22 AM.