W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drawing/schematic of the supercharger clutch internals?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Drawing/schematic of the supercharger clutch internals?

Does anybody have a drawing/schematic of the supercharger clutch internals?

I noted that a while back the pros and cons of a solid pulley were discussed. I've been kicking around the idea of using thick fluid to help ease the "ramp-up" during the clutch engagement. Maybe it might also increase the low-RPM load and trigger the ECU to engage the clutch sooner (??).

The thick fluid would be used in the areas of the actual shafts, not the electromechanical clutch. Kinda like a poor man's viscous clutch. But since I don't know what internally is going on with the thing, this is kinda conjecture at this point.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
AMG does not provide a schematic of clutch internals. Mainly because it is a simple coil with external plate. Very similar to an A/C compressor setup, except a bit larger. There is no fluid inside.

One can try to reline front plate with a different material to improve engagement, but you will need some kind of slippage in the system to avoid shock loading front supercharger bearings.

Since DME contols clutch engagement I would imagine it can be turned on sooner, however gas mileage is likely to suffer, since kompressor will be running more frequently.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Thanks Vadim, as always, good stuff. Based on some other info you provided me, I've also noticed that I can get the engagement to activate sooner in normal driving by "pre-loading" the engine. Perhaps changing my driver habits would be the easiest route :-).
Old 12-19-2005, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Thanks Vadim, as always, good stuff. Based on some other info you provided me, I've also noticed that I can get the engagement to activate sooner in normal driving by "pre-loading" the engine. Perhaps changing my driver habits would be the easiest route :-).
Thanks!