Sponsored by:

PhantomGrip LSD... FINALLY a super cheap LSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vadim, thanks for the input.

I too have been trying to read as many reviews as possible but i still have not yet found a single negative report yet. I've read over 100 reviews but im still searching to see if anyone ran into conflicts or etc, but i still haven't found any. I'll keep searching to see if this differential has any drawbacks or reported failures. I feel b/c so many magazines have done reports of it and had good results i feel that legitimizes its results, but im still on the lookout for failures/problems.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:02 PM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I knew you'd jump in at some point Vadim.....
Old 12-22-2005, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
The failures that I have seen and heard were on front-wheel drive cars. Most of them were on Ford and GM diffs.

When it first came out in late 90s, there were a lot of guys using it for road and drag racing. Considering that some stock factory diffs were also failing by themselves, the quailty of spyder gears steel could be a factor.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:14 PM
ON PROBATION

I've seen the AMG Manufaktur ones and I think that the quality is great...but not too sure if the mechanics are as good as others. They are kind of hard to get over here, though, aren't they?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ya i just finally found some concerns but they all seem to be on front wheel drive cars like the Mini's and a few other honda civics and etc. I assume this has to do b/c the front wheels also have to steer and etc so it puts extra stress on the differential in a locking situation. Alot of people talk about the concerns, but i am still searching to find a single reported case of failure but to no avail yet.

Do you think rear wheel drive will be different Vadim? also do you think b/c benz differerntials are probably alot more heavy duty that this is not nearly as big of a concern as say honda differentials and etc?.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

after reading many more reviews the general consensus seems to be its a great inexpensive alternative to more expensive diff options but one make concern is the pressure the spring puts on the spider gears and that force being translated into the rest of the components but some people have put mini-clutch discs on the backsides of the spider gears to solve that problem and supposedly its worked perfectly. I guess we will have to wait and see what phantomgrip says about their possible production for AMGs, b/c if they can't produce it i guess theres no point in talking about it. Hopefully they respond soon.

2 cents
Old 12-22-2005, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey guys, sorry to keep posting but i just found the article with the hard core testing results and data, looks promising assuming it can be used for the long term reliably (this includes kleenman design as well, basically the same exact thing).

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/...2/phantomgrip/

Last edited by Bernanke; 12-22-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GTA23109a
Allegedly the ring gear is thinner, partially due to the different tooth-count on it. Makes it easier to break teeth off the face of the gear, regardless of diameter. I've had this happen to me in other applications and it's not something I'm in a hurry to repeat.

If we can get some decently solid info from PhantomGrip I will absolutely test this out and report back.
any updates GTA?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:59 PM

04 E55
I was waiting to hear from you as to any more info from PhantomGrip themselves. I'm just shooting in the dark as to what parts to order/try. I was hoping you could get a little direction from their tech guys to pass along. I can always try calling them too, if you'd like. PM or Email me with the current status of things and I'll help in any way I can.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I still have not gotten a responce but that may be b/c of the holiday week so I may get a responce, if i do not I will call them on the phone later this week. thx
Old 12-27-2005, 03:11 AM

04 E55
Everyone seems to disappear until after Jan 1. It'll be a miracle if I get anything done this week.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by GTA23109a
Everyone seems to disappear until after Jan 1. It'll be a miracle if I get anything done this week.

keep us posted
Old 01-03-2006, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well guys... FINALLY got a responce, i guess my emails got mis routed over the holidays. anyways heres the responce: ...

"Dear Sir,
Due to the holidays, we have been short and
bombarded with email to answer.Hope you understand and we are indeed
interested in the mercedes market. I believe we may have started to tap into
the e500 model which might carry the same differential. I will look into this
furthur and we will touch base again.
Thank you for your interest in Phantom Grip products.
Janice"

Its not the most informative responce but at least it shows they are going after the mercedes market. I asked many more questions and hopefully i will get another responce soon. I am trying to get them to create one for our cars and hopefully it will work. Trying to make it happen for all of us guys Hopefully I can pull it off.

ttyl
Old 01-06-2006, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BIG UPDATE:

hey guys, they finally responded, heres the the email responce. It looks very promising. Anyone willing to contribute? Also if any of you have quesitons you would like me to ask for you lemme know. Thx, just trying to do my best to help.

"I found out the mercedes unit we did was not the e500 model, it was of an
older model/year being used for racing application. I will find out exactly
though. It was a custom unit within the last couple months and we are
recieving feedback .We will need the diffs from exactly the models in which
you request lsd's to be developed for.Just the ones that are different. The
cost is $349-$499 each different differential developed installation, parts
included.Please let us know if this is of interest."
Old 01-06-2006, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
what state r they located in??

btw, thanks for doin all the work
Old 01-06-2006, 09:35 PM

2000 CLK430
wow, u guys are crazy...is there something wrong with the way the e55 handles? i always thought the e55 suspension and transmission performed flawlessly.
it's a four door sedan perfected by amg for an all around perfect car.
my friends with 240's mess with lsd's, i didn't think e55 owers did.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

limited slip has nothing to do with the class range. it has to do with performace. Most high performance exotics and etc have limited slips.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:46 AM

04 E55
If these guys come up with a set of parts that will work in my w210 rear end, I'm definately in. Just let me know when they get back to you. I left a message but never heard back from them, so I'm glad they're talking to you at least!!

As far as the reason for a LSD in these cars, I've noticed that in lower speed or especially tight corners, it's very easy for the inside rear tire to get shocked under throttle and simply break loose. This not only causes understeer/push, but dramatically slows the vehicle. It's annoying as hell and caused as much by the car's weight as the power. For those of us who drive even the slightest bit aggressively, a LSD would be a very nice upgrade.

I'm scheduled to leave my car with my mechanic for a few days middle of next month for some routine (and some not) maintenance. If these guys can come up with a parts-set before then, it'd be perfect timing for me.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not having limited slip really kills the performance of these cars but from safety stand point i understand why benz does it. The overwhelming majority of benz drivers don't really know crap about cars and are even worse drivers and Limited slip differentials react totally different in wet conditions, in a open diff car one wheel just breaks loose, but in a limited slip car the entire back end breaks loose so the avg driver would probably yank the wheel (which is a no no) and cause and accident or something so benz gets rid of the limited slip for that reason... however... it sucks for performance.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hey guys, got another update...

"Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have been waiting for there to
be some time freed up by tech, and developer to develop the units. If you
want to get them here the address is below. Please tag each diff with
make,year,model etc. Include yoyur contact info so we may ghet in touch with
you on these units. If you would like to include credit card info as well or
a check that is fine, or we will contact you for payment.
Let us know also how you will want these set up if you do or if you just
want to fit them for furthur reference.
PHANTOM GRIP
6346-65 LANTANA RD
LAKE WORTH, FL 33463"

so if anyone wants to step up, let me know
Old 02-21-2006, 04:51 PM

04 E55
So what's the deal now??? We need to send them a diff to use as a mock-up? Does anyone know if the E55 diffs are the same as all other w210 V8 diffs?? Cause finding an E55-specific diff might be a serious neddle-in-a-haystack proposition.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:25 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Phantom Grip

Just a FYI. I live close by . So I went to look for them , At the above listed Address on Lantana Rd. I couldn't find them ??? You would think it was a warehouse complex with the address of 6346 - 65 I spent an hour looking for the place. Other Area Businesses said the address looks right , but ??? No Phone contact just a Fax. They don't respond to well. They are real slow !!! in responding to e-mails. Sorry I'm not willing to check out how they would respond to Failure issue.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well They have been in ton of magazines and are a reputable company so It would seem logical that they would have a nice store, are you sure u went to the right location? I do agree on the responce time, it is slow. just trying to help. hopefully someone can figure something out
Old 03-02-2006, 06:02 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Phantom Grip

Just a Blank Store front. I also looked in & around a 4 block area?? Have they responded to you lately. Some advertising and articles are written & paid for months in advance? If you find more info I'll go look again Take care
___PTE___
Old 04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Whatever happened to news on this diff?