Sponsored by:

New W211 E55 owner! got a couple of Qs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 02:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W220 V12TT Land Yacht / W211 E55 Estate
New W211 E55 owner! got a couple of Qs

So I just got a brand new 06 E55. The car is amazing. HAd a new 05 a year ago for 1 day (the car didnt have xenons, so we returned it). While shopping for the current one, I noticed that 75% of the e55s in the area had non-xenon lights... is this normal? I cant believe a 90k car wouldnt have xenons.

anyway, I have a couple of questions for you guys.

1) I was planning on doing a chip and pulley in the near future (possibly headers and exhaust later on down the road. WHat company is better for me to use, renntech or kleeman. I have been browsing and talking to a few people, but figured you guys would know best.I live in SOuth Florida which means renntech is local to me.

2)is there any possible way to have a digital reading of the time on the dash or on the nav screen? I know there is a HUGE clock on the dash, but Id rather have a digital reading if possible.

3) I jsut got the car tinted today and will be doing a flat hood emblem in the next few days. where would you guys recommend that i buy from? how easy is the install? and how much am I going to spend?

4) for those of you with modded e55s, what was your favorite mod?

5) whats the best way to break in this motor?

6) last one: is there a company that sells body colored front bumper reflectors? is there a DIY online that shows how to remove them?

Thanks for all the help. THis is our first Merc, hopefully it'll be a good first one!

Oh, btw, my girlfriend says that the e55 felt faster than our gt2! and i havent gone past 75% Throttle in Non-sport automatic mode.... hopefully I got a strong motor.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Still looking for mods for my E55 but Renntech is in your backyard, may want to start there... as for as euro strips checkout formymercedes.com, he sells them for $90 or so... good luck!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
congrats on the new car! must be nice to take one back simply because of a xenon deficiency! LOL

As for mods, wheels and suspension are probably 2 of the biggest (non power) modifications you can perform.

Evosport carries the bumper lensese (body colored). Renntech / KLEEMANN / BRABUS are the preferred power producers 'round these parts, I'm sure the regulars will chime in with more info.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:16 PM
ON PROBATION

Congrats! and Welcome!
You just cannot but lovethe E55 IMO. Great car.
In answer to your questions, here's my recommendation on two of them:

3) Get your flat amg emblem from Mario. It's great: looks great, is well made, fits perfectly, and is easy to install. Most people who have used him say that Mario's customer service is superb - responsive, agrees to overnight ship, sends detailed installation instructions.

mdonati@interserv.com.

I'd recommend that you order one from Mario Donati for like $150. All the other ones like the E-Bay'ers are less expensive but may be 'cheaper' in quality and mounting method as well.. His model has a center post with a threaded-rod and wing nut, and the finish is good.

5) many folks are going to tell you to "drive it like you stole it", to break it in 'hard' -- not the way I do it. You are breaking in more than the motor. Read your owners manual on break-in procedure. If you do alot of highway miles, make sure that you get in some stop-and-go street time; and you can vary your rpm's on the highway by dropping a gear to get the rpm's up....

Remember that you're also breaking in the brakes and tires. Tires will be done in due course in a thousand miles, and highway miles build up lots of heat in them which is good. Breaking in the rotors is problematic -- and you just may not want to go there... There's a pretty good dissertation, if overlong, on 'proper' break-in procedure for them at StopTech's website (don't have link haven't been there in years).
Old 01-05-2006, 03:26 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Hood Emblem

Concerning #3 - read this thread (especially my posts):

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=hood+emblem

Do what I did and save $130- on where you get the hood emblem, and use the extra cash to buy a nice dinner for you and your wife. I have had my emblem for over six months, and it looks as new as the day I bought it. Mario is a rip-off.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:29 PM

Nice dealer allowing the car to be returned for lack of xenon's. You must do a lot of business with them.

1. The major tuners will give a lot of the same variety; pulleys, chip etc. What was a big deciding factor to me was having a tuner close enough to go back to for any problems that may occur or if I wanted to do additional mods, they would have worked on my car already.

Pulleys and ECU are pretty tame by by this boards standards and you are pretty safe with just those 2 mods no matter where you go. Everything usually goes smooth through the install. You may want to consider what happens after.

2. Don't know.

3. Get it from the dealer. You may save a couple of bucks somewhere else but hard to put a price on the dealership seeing there again buying parts, maybe you will run into the GM (if you dealt/met with him), or the SA, salesman etc.

4. All of them. Each mod improves/customizes your car to your needs.

5. Lots of opinions on that. You will have to get a cup of coffee and do a search and decide for yourself.

6. EVO Sport, MBenzNL are some other places to check out.