Sponsored by:

Lamborghini Gallardo...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 06:08 AM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dakrisht
Clay, I couldn't agree with you more on every single point you've made.

I am definitely not going for a quick fix here, I have all the time in the world for the appropriate research into purchasing an "exotic".

In response to some of your questions, here is how I feel:

QUOTE: Are you looking for a supercar or exotic becaue you've decided that you want one, or that you may want one; or are you considering the original car mentioned because you became aware that it was for sale and therefore it piqued your interest?

I am considering the Gallardo because I have always had a fascination with Lamborghini's, Ferraris and other exotics alike. I think it is the "cheapest" exotic out there for what it is and what it does...

One thing that always struck me as a little boy growing up about Lambo's was the appeal and "awe" factor they had. It was something out of the norm, something that just didn't belong on the street. It had a certain cool factor to it, that I'm sure everyone can relate to...

I have not put my foot down and decided "Gallardo or nothing!", quite the contrary. I will probably end up getting rid of the Bentley for around $145k (4,500 miles on it) and truthfully will cap my "exotic supercar fund" at around $160k MAX. I'll either finance w/ big money down, or buy it out right.

The practical ownership of the car will be cherish and enjoy the thing for at least 4-5 years down the line, occasionally taking to the track here in N. California and, of course, tearing up Sunset Blvd. at 3AM :v

I think to some the reasons of wanting a supercar are obvious. The posses the ultimate in speed, handling, and that exotic look. I would love a CCR or an SLR, but that's out of my league. I am, after all, in my mid-20s and I think thats pushing it as it is... I've looked at some 360 CS's and they are great, but they don't give me the feeling that the Lambo does... It screams like the bull it really is (or at least was in the Diablo VT days)

Clay, I've read many of your posts, and to get something because of a quick fix is simply illogical and unreasonable, I think you'll agree.
I am a perfectionist, and need to know and love everything before I purchase a product. Whether that product is a cellular telephone or $150k supercar, it needs to make me happy and happy for a while.
It will probably take me a few months to reach such a decision as to what kind of exotic I'll purchase, but the decision has been made.
Truthfully, I received the Continental carte blanche, and it is a ridiculous vehicle for a person my age. I guess it's still the kid in me, saying "Get a Lambo..."

That's the right response. Good for you -- and I know that you'll have good odds at getting an exotic, enjoying it, and moving on. Good stuff. Unfortunately - or fortunately - I am a little bit of a perfectionist when it comes to cars.... If you're going to spend that kind of money on an exotic (or even just a car) use the big head more than the little head. I think that establishing a realistic budget up front is stepp number one...you know this thing is going to cost you alot more money to operate throughout a year - and throughout the years - than a 'normal' car..and you have to factor that in as well. It sucks to have to sell your dream because you just can't afford to keep the baby running, or insured, or in rubber, or whatever any longer!

I agree with you that a Lambo may be one of the most affordable exotic exotics out there. You're not really going to touch any of the new super exotics out there for less than $200K or even $300K; and it takes more than that to get into the 'really good stuff'.
Couple things: obvious, but if you haven't, go here to read-up on issues and ownership on a Lambo

http://www.lambo-power.com/phpBB2/index.php

Another obvious, but if you haven't you should also have some chat-time with NOTKTS -- he's a Muci owner and seems to be up on the Lambo's.

Hearsay has it that I am going to order my first personal Lambo this year, a Gallardo SE; and that I've always shied away from Lambos but decided to finally grab the bull by the steering wheel and give bull-riding a try..... I think that the Audi connection is probably a good thing, that it might help with daily-drivability and reliability - but I don't really know much about that....

Price range?
Ford GT do it for you? I really like 'em. Hearsay has it that I even paid the lesser of 102 weevils too much money for one because I liked the car so much. There are a couple of guys on the forum who have one....
I'm not that personally aware of what's out there in the prior-year exotic for under $200K market, as I pay attention to the much higher priced cars...and I do feel sorry about that as I do wish I could give you all kinds of ideas.
The Ruf isn't a bad idea. Hearsay has it that I really like those cars and that I always have liked those cars and that I might even be having a new RT12 joining the stables. And the years are really going to help you with the price on one of those. You might see what's up with these guys:

http://www.rufautocentre.com/

or take L8Apex up on his offer for more information.

Under $160K? I don't think that a new Morgan Aero8 is going to do it for you - beautiful cars and great to drive -- but more sportscar than exotic. All of the 'track cars', although they have blistering performance and most of them are tractable on the street, and are an absolute blast to drive and to take to Thunderhill or Willowsprings or Buttonwillow -- aren't going to have the interior finish and probably aren't going to be exotic enough for you.
I do think that you should take a serious look at a DB9 or the new Vantage V8, or a prior-year Vanquish. These cars may not be your definition of exotic, but they are beautiful cars and extremely well made, and they have beautiful interiors and incredible engines, and are a joy to drive -- and you could get into a really nice low miles one with what you're willing to spend. I love the new Aston Martins and...no more hearsay.
Otherwise? I think that you're looking for a prior year Lambo or Ferrari. Everyone should get a chance to own a Ferrari once in their lives, you know...but if I were you I think that I'd wait and pick up a prior-year F430 when you sell the Lambo.....
Nuff said, too much said already in a too long post....
Go get one, tiger!
Old 01-07-2006, 06:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A Few
Thanks for your concise response Clay.

I agree with in every regard that the Morgan Aero8 is an amazing machine in all aspects, my father is actually looking into getting one in the next few months. They are like looking at art; subtle, unique and just the right touch of performance and exclusivity.

I am going to heavily think about the Gallardo, and probably consider picking up a brand new one per specification. The SE looks very nice, from the pictures I've seen and the Gallardo in general is a great machine.

Also, I have never purchased a used car in my life, and like to have it from conception to birth, so to speak.

I absolutely love the F430, Spider in particular, but they are way over the price range at this moment, not to mention that the first "Major Service" costs upwards of $10k, and a Ferrari in general is more financially intensive car to maintain.

Audi and Lamborghini seem to be a good mix, dependability with performance and so forth.
I'm thinking that I might have to give my AMEX concierge a call and see if they can organize a Gallardo for a couple of weeks.

This being my first attempt at obtaining an exotic and keeping and maintaining it, I will definitely give it a lot of thought and consideration.
That's the best one can do in matters such as these, and being a perfectionist and all, I have and always will demand the best.

The Gallardo really does seem perfect though, so I'll keep you posted of my endeavors.

Best wishes...
Old 01-07-2006, 01:13 PM
ON PROBATION

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dakrisht- Whatever help that I could be was my pleasure -- one of the many reasons that I participate in the forum community. It is a rare and memorable process to go on the hunt for one's first exotic - and I am going to enjoy sharing vicariously through the forums in your quest!
Of course we want updates...and pictures! LOL
The Gallardo SE is even better than a Gallardo (duh - isn't that why they call it Special Edition?). Lots of important differences. Here's a pretty good listing from the Australian Motor Show (and yes, it is available in that orange!)
:
An even quicker Lamborghini Gallardo - the SE
September 29, 2005 Automobili Lamborghini SpA is unveiling a limited special edition uprated version of its phenomenally-successful Gallardo -- the aptly-named Gallardo SE super sports car -- at this year’s Australian International Motor Show at Sydney’s Darling Harbour October 14-23. The new Gallardo SE (Special Edition) is being restricted to just 250 units worldwide. It is characterised by its innovative two-tone paint and trim combinations, plus a raft of advanced technical modifications. Mechanically, the Gallardo SE benefits from several important upgrades: the gearbox is now equipped with shorter gear ratios in the first five gears, dramatically boosting its dynamic performance. The result is breathtaking acceleration -- from 0-100km/h in 4.0 seconds – shaving off 0.2 seconds, and achieving a top speed of 315 km/h versus 309 km/h previously. The effects are particularly noticeable on an Egear-equipped SE thanks to its ‘Thrust Mode’, which enables optimum acceleration and changes from a standing start throughout all gears.
In terms of handling, beefed-up suspension and a set of Zero Corsa tyres (specifically developed by Pirelli for more ‘ambitious’ driving), combine to provide additional confidence through the uniquely-sculptured sports steering wheel. All standard issue on the SE, as is the tailored car cover.
Of course, each Gallardo SE can be further individualised by selecting from an extensive range of options available to order. Customers can choose from a manual or robotised Egear transmission, and heated door mirrors, and heated seats (fully electrically-adjustable seats are fitted as standard equipment for the Australian market).
A winter package (heated seats, heated side mirrors, heated wash jets, rubber floor mats, and 12-volt outlet) and a lifting system are also offered. If preferred, standard road tyres instead of the Zero Corsa original equipment version can be specified at no extra cost.
The basis for the Special Edition is the extreme, uncompromising and unsurpassed Lamborghini Gallardo, meaning the SE comes equipped with permanent 4WD, a six-speed gearbox, aluminum space frame, ESP and ASR, ABS, ABD, aircon, and two front and two side airbags.
Dedicated colourways for the Gallardo SE comprise Light Silver (Grigio Altair), Dark Silver (Grigio Proteus), White (Bianco Balloon), Yellow (Giallo Midas), Orange (Arancio Borealis), and Green (Verde Ithaca).
By contrast, the roof, engine bonnet, front and rear spoilers, and door mirrors, are all picked out in black (Nero Noctis) relief. The external styling cues continue with subtly-tinted tail-light lenses, and custom Callisto wheel rims complemented by colour-coded brake calipers (available in grey or yellow). Inside the cabin, the SE reinforces the two-tone look, with all piping and stitching matching the exterior body color of the car. Homage to Lamborghini’s illustrious heritage is acknowledged: the famous ‘Raging Bull’ shield is embossed on the driver and passenger seat head restraints, and the Lamborghini scripted name is deep-set into the dashboard.
All carpets are black, with the borders again matching the body panel shade. As would be expected with a vehicle of this caliber, the SE’s interior is handcrafted in the softest kid-glove Italian leather, partially perforated. The interior design underlines the SE’s new, more aggressive personality. And exclusively for this Gallardo variant, there is also an engine-bay shield with the embossed vehicle identification number.
Not surprisingly, the Gallardo SE is jam-packed with the latest state-of-the-art electronics, including drivers’ multi-directional rear view camera, which, when used in conjunction with the built-in multimedia screen, significantly increases visibility for easy reversing and parking.
Mechanically, the Gallardo SE benefits from several important upgrades: the gearbox is now equipped with shorter gear ratios in the first five gears, dramatically boosting its dynamic performance. The result is breathtaking acceleration -- from 0-100km/h in 4.0 seconds – shaving off 0.2 seconds, and achieving a top speed of 315 km/h versus 309 km/h previously. The effects are particularly noticeable on an Egear-equipped SE thanks to its ‘Thrust Mode’, which enables optimum acceleration and changes from a standing start throughout all gears.
By incorporating so many direct and precise steering engineering refinements into Gallardo’s sophisticated geometry and its AWD, the ability of the Gallardo SE to stick like glue to the tarmac of both road and track has been ratched up yet another notch. The stunning Gallardo SE is unquestionably the star attraction at this year’s Australian International Motor Show at Darling Harbour. With a retail price expected around the AUD$425,000 mark, only six units are destined for Australia.

I don't even know yet what I will have to pay for mine...but it's going to be alot - probably well over $300K USD (LOL) But what a car for your first exotic!
I am sure, however, that a 'regular' Gallardo would certainly fill the bill for you nicely. And the F430 Spyders should come down in price in 6 months or so as they come in (I've got 20 in the country already, and another 20 on the way -- so they are coming in....)
Can hardly wait to hear the next episode of "In search of my exotic" from you...
Attached Thumbnails Lamborghini Gallardo...-lamborghini_gallardo_se_445_1.jpg   Lamborghini Gallardo...-lamborghini_gallardo_se_445_2.jpg   Lamborghini Gallardo...-lamborghini_gallardo_se_445_3.jpg  

Last edited by ClayJ; 01-07-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CL65
the first ad
thats a place in jersey that its known as a schysty (sp?) place to go
like they are not legit or something
not sure