Sponsored by:

Disappearing Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disappearing Supercharger

Ok, I know threads like this one have been posted before and I have already ran a search to try to find a remedy before I posted this thread, but no one has offered a solid explanation. I was driving my Dad's car today and the supercharger completely STOPPED WORKING. After about 45 seconds of hard driving, poof, no power. I was driving a mule. Then about 2 minutes later I regained power for another 45 seconds and then right back off again. This cycle kept repeating. The reason for this post is to develop an idea of what to say to the dealer when I take it in. Our dealership is far more ignorant in these matters than it is incompetent, so although things get fixed, it takes a loonnngg time and usually problems resurface. So does this sound like a problem with the pressure sensors? Should I tell them to remove and re-install the intake manifold and check the sensors like they did on my car a while ago (See thread: "E500 faster than E55?")? Thanks in advance for any help, this is driving me nuts
Old 01-12-2006, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55-030, 2002 BMW 540 Wagon, 1995 VW Jetta GLX
Unhappy Intercooler Pump

I would check to see if the Intercooler pump is starting to fail. This has been reported, in the past, as a problem, and should be detectable upon scanning the ECU.
When the "Intake Air Temp" (IAT) increases above Spec. the Supercharger is disengaged untile the IAT cools and the Supercharger engages again, accounting for the on/off cycling of the Supercharger you are experiencing. - Bob
Old 01-12-2006, 01:26 AM

BMW M6
Originally Posted by Evolution Marin
I would check to see if the Intercooler pump is starting to fail. This has been reported, in the past, as a problem, and should be detectable upon scanning the ECU.
When the "Intake Air Temp" (IAT) increases above Spec. the Supercharger is disengaged untile the IAT cools and the Supercharger engages again, accounting for the on/off cycling of the Supercharger you are experiencing. - Bob

that's right on the money
Old 01-12-2006, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Yup your intercooler pump failed. Same problem happened on my E55 and I upgraded to a Kleemann pump and problems were solved. The damn Bosch pump was not designed to keep the supercharger and engine cool enough, in fact I think all they did was take a stock radiator pump and use it as the intercooler pump.

So much for world class engineering.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:19 AM

A clarification to what's been said. To see if the IC pump is failing will require Star Diagnostics. This is not a standard OBD code.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Yeah, and the sad part is many have been failing off and on. So sometimes, they have them in the shop and get the "looks fine to me" report.

It's the pump for sure.....motor overheating and shutting down blower.

Well not 100%, but seems to be common problem.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Vadim-SoCal

If the dealer bothers to hook up STAR, it will have a code for high intake temps.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Awesome, I guess its the pump then. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:13 PM

2003 E55 Obsidian Black
Exclamation E55 Supercharger stopping....

Mine does the same thing, and just wondering if warranty will cover it and will they even replace it if its the same usless pump??? Also I do not want then into my ECU!!! Last time, I got the smog pump recall, and they stole 60 HP from me!!! MAny say this is to downplay the E55 as it can smoke the 6.3 series.... I had to go to Powerchip in SAnta Monica and spend $1,900 to get my car back into the 12's after my not so friendly 30k service. Beware of this!!!! they will make your beast into a c5 Vette!!!! Its true.. And if you refuse the de-tuning, bye bye warranty. But anyway, back to topic, yes how embarrasing to be at a track event and and rip past everyone, turn a corner hit the throttle and find no power.... That might be why they SAID goodbye to the S/C??????? It is humiliating, and you dont know when it will strike you... Brandon
Old 10-14-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
One Solution

Had the same problem, this is a classic heat soak problem as the inter-cooler is plumbed into the block.

Your pump may be OK, just have it checked.

Solution: Inter-cooler upgrade kit which also isolates the two systems.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Originally Posted by Finny
Solution: Inter-cooler upgrade kit which also isolates the two systems.
My local tuner recently informed me that Renntech has an intercooler upgrade kit now available. I have no other details about it other than the cost, which is about the same as the Evosport kit. Maybe Adam can divulge the specifics ?

I had wanted to replace the Bosch pump with the Johnson pump when I did my engine upgrades, but the tuner talked me out of it. Apparently the stock plumbing puts a restriction on the Johnson pump which greatly diminishes its efficiency.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:59 PM

'03 E55
intercooler pump

MB has come out with an improved IC water pump with a different part #. Had mine replaced on Wednesday. There is a bulletin about this- the dealer should know about it. It wont always set a code.

Tony
Old 10-14-2006, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Renntech has a cooling kit coming out of R&D
Old 10-14-2006, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Renntech has a racing IC pump available for $2995. I have two available for W211/C219. However, no details can be released before the official announcement. Just today, a dealer installed Stage 3 + RT ic pump. Dyno charts are available on Monday.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by irishspeed
Mine does the same thing, and just wondering if warranty will cover it and will they even replace it if its the same usless pump??? Also I do not want then into my ECU!!! Last time, I got the smog pump recall, and they stole 60 HP from me!!! MAny say this is to downplay the E55 as it can smoke the 6.3 series.... I had to go to Powerchip in SAnta Monica and spend $1,900 to get my car back into the 12's after my not so friendly 30k service. Beware of this!!!! they will make your beast into a c5 Vette!!!! Its true.. And if you refuse the de-tuning, bye bye warranty. But anyway, back to topic, yes how embarrasing to be at a track event and and rip past everyone, turn a corner hit the throttle and find no power.... That might be why they SAID goodbye to the S/C??????? It is humiliating, and you dont know when it will strike you... Brandon
LOL if you paid for POWERCHIP to "return" your 60hp?
Old 10-15-2006, 01:53 AM

06 E55 SOLD, 89 300 SE 375,000 miles
Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Renntech has a racing IC pump available for $2995. I have two available for W211/C219. However, no details can be released before the official announcement. Just today, a dealer installed Stage 3 + RT ic pump. Dyno charts are available on Monday.

Adam,

Do you have any pictures to show of the setup?

Daryoosh
Old 10-15-2006, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Nope, i didnt take pictures. Sorry about that.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:34 AM

///E63V10 ///F80CS ///Can-Am X3 XRS
It happened to me frequently when stomping hard on the throttle. I got fed up when it shuts off during the Palomar mountain climb, the E350 was tailgating my *** I'm bringing the car in this thurs, the tech already suspected it's the intercooler pump. Hope this will solve the problem, if not then it's time for EVO or Renntech I/C upgrade.

Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
Ok, I know threads like this one have been posted before and I have already ran a search to try to find a remedy before I posted this thread, but no one has offered a solid explanation. I was driving my Dad's car today and the supercharger completely STOPPED WORKING. After about 45 seconds of hard driving, poof, no power. I was driving a mule. Then about 2 minutes later I regained power for another 45 seconds and then right back off again. This cycle kept repeating. The reason for this post is to develop an idea of what to say to the dealer when I take it in. Our dealership is far more ignorant in these matters than it is incompetent, so although things get fixed, it takes a loonnngg time and usually problems resurface. So does this sound like a problem with the pressure sensors? Should I tell them to remove and re-install the intake manifold and check the sensors like they did on my car a while ago (See thread: "E500 faster than E55?")? Thanks in advance for any help, this is driving me nuts
Old 10-15-2006, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow, old thread. Anyway, it is the IC pump, 100%. After I posted this thread I took it in to the shop where they replaced the IC pump and relay. They also checked the intake manifold and some pressure sensors. The repair was short-lived, and the supercharger started shutting off again. I just took my car back for this problem last Thursday and it was ready to go on Friday. All they did was replace the IC pump. Shes up and running at full power, no shut off issues. If MBZ tries to tell you that they will figure out the problem themselves, tell them to f*$(# off, go back into the shop, and replace your IC pump. Bottom line, thats your problem.