Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
Holy crap, $12k?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG BLISS
Or do what I do... don't tell her. :v :v :v
But she'l notice the difference in the exhaust tune!
So you tell her: "It was rather cold this morning so i farted into the intake to get it going"
Old 01-14-2006, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Mad TKD and Hardrivr,

To me the sound is second to none! (Please don't flame me, that is my humble opinion after spending 12k) Here is a sound-clip from a previous thread in case you missed it.

http://media.putfile.com/supersprint-2

As far as pictures of the stock manifold, unfortunately I do not have one. But if I remember correctly, Evo Sport has a picture of one next to the header they sell for the E55.

I too had the WTF 12k-thing going through my mind, but what put me at ease was remembering that I've purchased computer software for over 5K, and it comes to me on a $1.00 C/D. So needless to say I am a believer in you get what you pay for, and I am definitely a pay as you go type of person.

The price is pretty competitive compared to the headers and full exhaust that Kleemann sells. I did consider Kleemann and for reasons previously stated, I chose not to go with them. I was also told that there are many pieces involved, met cats, etc. and for me not to just consider it as welding pipes together. Apparently there was a lot involved, R&D design, tooling production, etc.

For those that are interested here is the link to Supersprint:

http://www.supersprintna.com/categor...ategory_id/139
Sounds awesome. Do you have any resonance in the cabin at crusing speed? One of my biggest regrets in my Z06 was installing headers and high flow cats. My head would throb after 40 minutes on the highway. Then again, my exhaust only cost about 4,000 (headers, cats and cat-back, plus install).

What is your peak hp/tq number with your set-up?
Old 01-14-2006, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
The sound is over the top. Awesome. Congrats and have fun.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Or do what I do... don't tell her. :v :v :v
Sometimes that is the best solution.

In 1990, my Dad sold his 1989 Testarossa. A few months later, he got the itch and bought a 348 (big POS), as did my uncle. Within two weeks, my dad dumped the 348 and got a 91 Testarossa. He never told my mom (it was stored down the street at my aunt's house, so she rarely saw it.)

About a month after he got the Testarossa, the car was parked alongside my uncle's 348. When she noticed the obvious difference between the cars, he convinced her that my uncle's car was "last year's model".
Old 01-14-2006, 01:30 PM

I agree enzom.

My other car has no cats and a full 4in exhaust and it is way too loud in the cabin. Its so loud it rattles most everything. That would be my main concern on the effect of the everyday driving also. Even though I would want the extra power I still wouldnt want the extra noise in the cabin.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by Hardrivr
not completely complaining, but it's going to be a long cold winter in the spare room if I drop $12k on the beast right now...
is that spare bedroom where you will have to be staying if you pull the trigger on this right now?
Old 01-14-2006, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
12K! Damn! Whatever happened to building a custom exhaust and just purchasing the SS,or Kleeman headers?A good exhaust builder can build a system for 1000's and 1000's less!Damn! All those pipes and parts are easily available.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Awesome!~!
Old 01-14-2006, 02:34 PM

Yep those parts you can buy at basically any Truck parts place. The only issue would be getting it fabbed and welded. Parts is maybe 500-900 on the exhaust pipes.

The headers require alot more time to fab up. But really shouldnt be a issue either.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I was under the assumption that Supersprint products were R&Ded heavily...

Anyways, how is it all turning out? Are you being plauged by any quality issues?
Old 01-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
I like this exhaust system. Anyone know how well it would work with Kleemann or Renntech boost ans ECU mods? I wonder if Cory can program the ECU for this exhaust system?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by Hardrivr
I was thinking more in the lines of WELL, THIS CAR IS JUST TOO QUIET... SOMEONE IS BOUND TO SWAY OVER INTO MY LINE... I NEED IT SOUND LIKE LIKE OUR ROADKING... YOU KNOW LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES... well at least I will try something like that...

As far as 12K being cheap for 45hp... I'm new to this game, remember I came from Cobras and Saleens... where 45hp was something like $500 to $1000, diffently not $12k... heck 120hp was only $5k with a Vortech supercharger... not completely complaining, but it's going to be a long cold winter in the spare room if I drop $12k on the beast right now...
$12,000 is faaahrking expensive for 45hp...only+10% gain and all that hardware!
I just spent $1200 on ECU tune up of my son's MY06 Impreza STI and got 38hp(+15%) POWER and 52 lbft (+19%) TORQUE.
As long as we keep paying these crazy prices, these "tuners" will continue charging us what the market will bear, and not what things actually are worth or cost to make.
We get what we deserve
Old 01-14-2006, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rafal
I just spent $1200 on ECU tune up of my son's MY06 Impreza STI and got 38hp(+15%) POWER and 52 lbft (+19%) TORQUE.
As long as we keep paying these crazy prices, these "tuners" will continue charging us what the market will bear, and not what things actually are worth or cost to make.
We get what we deserve
I agree 100% ,it's just Kraazee!I mean that's alot of money for everything headers back! On a N/A car how can you explain the $ to HP exchange?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by Rafal
We get what we deserve

I would not pay $12k for an exhaust, but my E55 is stock and I mod cars that are lighter and already faster

But I look at it this way - if a tuner builds a set of headers for a Corvette (or WRX or Mustang), he has THOUSANDS, maybe TENS OF THOUSANDS of potential sales from people modding their cars. If a tuner builds a set of headers for an E55, his potential sales are MUCH lower, possibly in the hundreds. Fewer cars have been built and out of those cars, very few people actually mod them to the point where they would install (or have installed) headers.

Anyway, just my .02
Old 01-15-2006, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WayneE
I would not pay $12k for an exhaust, but my E55 is stock and I mod cars that are lighter and already faster

But I look at it this way - if a tuner builds a set of headers for a Corvette (or WRX or Mustang), he has THOUSANDS, maybe TENS OF THOUSANDS of potential sales from people modding their cars. If a tuner builds a set of headers for an E55, his potential sales are MUCH lower, possibly in the hundreds. Fewer cars have been built and out of those cars, very few people actually mod them to the point where they would install (or have installed) headers.

Anyway, just my .02
Yep and this is why they sell the items for a fortnune! An exhaust,I'd get built by a custom shop for 1000's less though.zThe headers's I'd purchase thru Kleeman or Supersprint.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by lowphat
The sound is over the top. Awesome. Congrats and have fun.
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Awesome!~!
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
I was under the assumption that Supersprint products were R&Ded heavily...

Anyways, how is it all turning out? Are you being plauged by any quality issues?

Thanks for the support gentlemen.

Ricky - No issues whatsoever.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:03 PM

As requested, here are the dyno charts.
Attached Thumbnails Header and Exhaust install pix-e55amg_before_after_smooth3.jpg  
Old 01-16-2006, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
45rwhp just from the exhaust? Thats great.
Do you have other mods that the exhaust "unleashed"?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2006, 08:00 PM

I am still lost on what mods are done besides the Headers and exhaust?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by OzE55
45rwhp just from the exhaust? Thats great.
Do you have other mods that the exhaust "unleashed"?

Thanks
Originally Posted by Mad TKD
I am still lost on what mods are done besides the Headers and exhaust?
OzE55 and Mad TKD - Before the headers and full exhaust I had the Carlsson pulleys, ECU and rear mufflers. Currently I am trying to decide between Evo Sport or Kleemann for either of their cooling packages. If anyone cares to give feedback or opinions on either cooling set-up, please do.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Without the pulley and chip I would have been suprised if exhaust made 45rwhp. If that was the case then $12k would be OK given the hp increase and the difficulty MBZ would have voiding warranty if there was an engine problem (unlike a pulley and chip).
Old 01-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
OzE55 and Mad TKD - Before the headers and full exhaust I had the Carlsson pulleys, ECU and rear mufflers. Currently I am trying to decide between Evo Sport or Kleemann for either of their cooling packages. If anyone cares to give feedback or opinions on either cooling set-up, please do.
Your current power level of 484rwhp 553rwtq is in line with what some of the other guys are running, albeit, you are at the higher end of the scale. I believe E55Baller did the exact same figures of 484rwhp 553rwtq with his Evo headers, hennessey pulley, kleemann ECU and straight pipes.

The big jump in power (45rwhp) was because you had the ECU, pullies installed with stock headers. Stock headers are very inefficient and that is where 90% of your power increase is coming from. Had you put this system on your car when it was stock, you would probably have seen 25rwhp-30rwhp which is inline with the kleemann & EVO products.

Your dyno does prove that Supersprint made a good system that makes really good power. I am just not sure if it is making any more power than the competitive systems out there. The only way to know for sure is to test them back to back.. If the system wasn't so expensive, I would be tempted to install them on my car and do a back-to-back test. Whatever the case, you have a really strong car on your hands!! Congrats & enjoy!

P.S-> I wish someone could convert your .MOV clips into .WMV format so I can hear that beast!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:18 AM

I did not want to post a reply with respect to the cost of the headers and full exhaust; However, I find myself doing just that. My hopes in purchasing the complete system from Supersprint was to get maximum performance with the minimum back pressure, leading me to believe that I will not have any exhaust restriction issues for any future engine modifications. SS has removed all back pressure from the system, sparing no cost. I believe in the R&D that ALL well-respected tuners put into their products and SS R&D came up with changing the stock cell cats from 400 to theirs of 100 cells per square inch (among other things).

The least expensive way to increase HP in the E55 cars is to change the pulley and ECU and many of us here have done it with roughly 50hp increase, but to get to the next level I have found the cost to play will go up significantly. In reality, the cost for the pulley's and ECU is about 5k and this will get you the first 50hp but the next 50 hp may be $12,000. I know there are some guys waiting for the new Throttle Body stuff to arrive and there was a recent thread on Gruppe M intakes for almost 4k for 15-20hp. Many of us balked at the Gruppe M intake for that price (me included). But for me, this header and exhaust is something I can build on. The TB or the air intake or both may come later, but for me this was the next step.

I decided my next step after the pulleys and ECU was to get a complete header and full exhaust system and I opted to get the best exhaust IMHO right after looking into what was available. If there are any suggestions out there for an extra 50hp (without NOS) please let me know. For now, I would be surprised if anyone can get anywhere near that HP. Now with this header and exhaust I should have the ability to get as much HP as possible from other modifications to follow.

This system may not be for everyone. SS does sell the headers separately or if you want to retain your 400 cell cats, one can also opt for the cat back system. Spending $12,000 may not be for everyone. I did take a little time to research the headers that are available out there and SS made me most comfortable. I believe they were/are the OEM manufacturer for some well-known automakers. At the very least, I knew I was buying an exhaust from a company that knows how to build exhaust systems.

Again, it was not my intention to justify the amount of money I spent or to say this system is better than others. There are headers out there for more and some are for less. If anything, after the pulleys and ECU... GET HEADERS.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:45 PM

As requested, here are the dyno charts.
It appears that there is a problem with the Before run after 5K RPM (probably tire slippage). The horsepower numbers derived for the Before run occur at 5100 RPM compared the the After run at 6100 RPM. If you extrapolate the Before run to allow for a smooth run, the actual power difference would probably be 30-35 HP.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Header and Exhaust install pix