Header and Exhaust install pix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by AMG BLISS
I did not want to post a reply with respect to the cost of the headers and full exhaust; However, I find myself doing just that. My hopes in purchasing the complete system from Supersprint was to get maximum performance with the minimum back pressure, leading me to believe that I will not have any exhaust restriction issues for any future engine modifications. SS has removed all back pressure from the system, sparing no cost. I believe in the R&D that ALL well-respected tuners put into their products and SS R&D came up with changing the stock cell cats from 400 to theirs of 100 cells per square inch (among other things).

The least expensive way to increase HP in the E55 cars is to change the pulley and ECU and many of us here have done it with roughly 50hp increase, but to get to the next level I have found the cost to play will go up significantly. In reality, the cost for the pulley's and ECU is about 5k and this will get you the first 50hp but the next 50 hp may be $12,000. I know there are some guys waiting for the new Throttle Body stuff to arrive and there was a recent thread on Gruppe M intakes for almost 4k for 15-20hp. Many of us balked at the Gruppe M intake for that price (me included). But for me, this header and exhaust is something I can build on. The TB or the air intake or both may come later, but for me this was the next step.

I decided my next step after the pulleys and ECU was to get a complete header and full exhaust system and I opted to get the best exhaust IMHO right after looking into what was available. If there are any suggestions out there for an extra 50hp (without NOS) please let me know. For now, I would be surprised if anyone can get anywhere near that HP. Now with this header and exhaust I should have the ability to get as much HP as possible from other modifications to follow.

This system may not be for everyone. SS does sell the headers separately or if you want to retain your 400 cell cats, one can also opt for the cat back system. Spending $12,000 may not be for everyone. I did take a little time to research the headers that are available out there and SS made me most comfortable. I believe they were/are the OEM manufacturer for some well-known automakers. At the very least, I knew I was buying an exhaust from a company that knows how to build exhaust systems.

Again, it was not my intention to justify the amount of money I spent or to say this system is better than others. There are headers out there for more and some are for less. If anything, after the pulleys and ECU... GET HEADERS.
IMOP 12k on that exhaust is alot of dough.The R&D etc etc,supersprint is making a killing on this system! A full exhaust for an 06 Corvette Z06 cost about 1/4th that price if that. Here is a guy with Kleeman headers,with a custom built exh back that spent only 52 or 5300.00 incld labor,cats,downpipe and has a quality built stainless steel system from headers all the way to the muffler from a good custom exhaust building shop.Check it out!
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg-clk63-amg-w208-w209/133638-kleemann-header-review.html

I'm not bashing you ,I just feel that Ssprint is asking alot of bread for that full system.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 / ////AMG
This system may not be for everyone. SS does sell the headers separately or if you want to retain your 400 cell cats, one can also opt for the cat back system. Spending $12,000 may not be for everyone. I did take a little time to research the headers that are available out there and SS made me most comfortable. I believe they were/are the OEM manufacturer for some well-known automakers. At the very least, I knew I was buying an exhaust from a company that knows how to build exhaust systems.

Again, it was not my intention to justify the amount of money I spent or to say this system is better than others. There are headers out there for more and some are for less. If anything, after the pulleys and ECU... GET HEADERS.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
I'm not bashing you ,I just feel that Ssprint is asking alot of bread for that full system.
I hear ya. But for someone like me, I didn't want to deal with it. If I wanted to be more hands on with my car, then I may have taken that route. I like to save money like anyone else, but I would leave something like headers and full exhaust to a company that knows their stuff. I would not have the slightest clue about what amount of cell count is best or the best size pipe or placement of the O2 sensors or anything else that has to do with a complete system.

It might be more than others have spent on their own pieced put together system, but I bought the name and along with it comes warranty and most importantly to me, peace of mind.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:02 AM

I would not have the slightest clue about what amount of cell count is best or the best size pipe or placement of the O2 sensors or anything else that has to do with a complete system.
Before you get too comfortable with your new system, you might want to take your car out for an emissions test (especially since you're in Ca.). These engines are tuned toward the rich side when they're not in closed-loop mode, which is not emissions-friendly. And, your small cats will probably need more frequent replacement.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
I hear ya. But for someone like me, I didn't want to deal with it. If I wanted to be more hands on with my car, then I may have taken that route. I like to save money like anyone else, but I would leave something like headers and full exhaust to a company that knows their stuff. I would not have the slightest clue about what amount of cell count is best or the best size pipe or placement of the O2 sensors or anything else that has to do with a complete system.

It might be more than others have spent on their own pieced put together system, but I bought the name and along with it comes warranty and most importantly to me, peace of mind.
Supersprint basically makes their's the same exact way!He's using Kleeman header's in his app which is cool but everything behind that is custom made.It's no hard feat for supersprint or any other vendor or custom exhaust shop to build a nicely tuned exh system.Any shop that builds custom exh systems for n/a V8's or f/l V8's would have been able to make the proper dimensions for an exh on your car.No problem!They know what to do! I'm telling you from experience!

It's water undr the bridge now,but just wanted to inform you of other cheaper and somtimes better options,that's all! Good luck

PS I have a full SS system on my M3 but the only reason I bought it is because the seller was desperate to sell and needed $$. I received the headers,euro midpipe,cat back(all SS) I puchased this whole thing for 1600.00At the time the header alone was 1600.00 so it was a no brainer for me and I have not seen a deal like that one since! I feel I made a reasonable exception there.All supersprint.

Last edited by ProjectC55; 01-18-2006 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
AMG Bliss,
Thanks for sharing the info about the SS system, now I know how mine will sound like. I too had spent 12k on the whole system, it's expensive, even my tuner said that, but when it comes to quality parts, Supersprint came out on top, which is why Hamann and Ferrari choose Supersprint as their exhaust manufaturer. My wife freaked out when she saw it on my bank statement, but when I told her it's Made In Italy, she was cool with it. LOLZ!!!
Old 06-24-2006, 06:49 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Pulley Tensioner

Sorry for going off subject, but where did you source the blue adjustable pulley tensioner from? Was that part of the pulley kit?
Old 06-24-2006, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
just in case you didn't hear it.... sounds really tough.....

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...slip-9159.html

click on the video link.....

Originally Posted by vrus
P.S-> I wish someone could convert your .MOV clips into .WMV format so I can hear that beast!
Old 06-24-2006, 12:19 PM

CLS 55 AMG, 2002 Chevy Avalanche (w/ NOS) :D
$12,000 for 45 HP??!!?!??? Thats crazy if u ask me.. ..... Ur spending $266 Per HP... Eisenmann Race Exhaust with Kleemann Headers ... and spend half the Price...
Old 06-24-2006, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Bliss, don't you feel better now that everyone has told you what you've done wrong?
Old 06-25-2006, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
AMG Bliss,
Thanks for sharing the info about the SS system, now I know how mine will sound like. I too had spent 12k on the whole system, it's expensive, even my tuner said that, but when it comes to quality parts, Supersprint came out on top, which is why Hamann and Ferrari choose Supersprint as their exhaust manufaturer. My wife freaked out when she saw it on my bank statement, but when I told her it's Made In Italy, she was cool with it. LOLZ!!!
No problem. I'm glad to see someone else was thinking along the same lines I was. You'll love it!! I can honestly say... to date no issues whatsoever. Especially the dreaded CEL that come up on other header and full exhaust systems out there for less money.

Never knew Ferrari uses SS as their OEM.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by MafiosoCLS55
$12,000 for 45 HP??!!?!??? Thats crazy if u ask me.. ..... Ur spending $266 Per HP... Eisenmann Race Exhaust with Kleemann Headers ... and spend half the Price...
Sure I explored that option. But after speaking to a few Kleemann reps (in person) they told me that they were getting CEL lights because of the two sensors after the cats.

I was told by the SS rep that if I experienced the CEL light because of their header and full exhaust system, I could return it for a full refund. Ask Kleemann if they will do that.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Bliss, don't you feel better now that everyone has told you what you've done wrong?

"feel better" I know there are a ton of gear-heads on this forum and I have said it before that I have no clue when it comes to modding a car. I will leave the how to's to them and the reputable companies out there. I'm the type of person who will pay to have someone else do it. I don't feel the need or the desire to try and piece things together to attempt to match or surpass what is out there ready buy and install.

FYI (and I know you didn't ask), I am completely satisfied with my SS system. For me, like I stated above, am very happy with the customer service I received. I also like the feeling that if something were to go wrong, SS would rectify the matter to my satisfaction.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
"feel better" I know there are a ton of gear-heads on this forum and I have said it before that I have no clue when it comes to modding a car. I will leave the how to's to them and the reputable companies out there. I'm the type of person who will pay to have someone else do it. I don't feel the need or the desire to try and piece things together to attempt to match or surpass what is out there ready buy and install.

FYI (and I know you didn't ask), I am completely satisfied with my SS system. For me, like I stated above, am very happy with the customer service I received. I also like the feeling that if something were to go wrong, SS would rectify the matter to my satisfaction.
AMG BLISS - The sound is awesome!!!! Simply awesome! That is one hell of a exhaust system.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Not as happy as AMG Bliss

As the title said, my trust in Supersprint had been shaken. UPS delivered my package yesterday, 3 boxes total, with what I thought "a complete system", so went to my friend's race shop today to drop it off. Upon opening the boxes, I felt that something is not right, so we layed out the whole system, duh, center resonator is missing , so I thought it's not the end of the world, called up Burns Stainless and got some 2.75" tubing to replace the missing piece. After we took out the stock system and got to the point to open up the hardware/gasket packing bag for some nuts and gaskets, guess what we found, a broken donut gasket for the header merge collector . Smart Italians must think that their gaskets are unbreakable so they've decided to ship them all in one bag. Here comes the worst, after we've found the replacement donut and about to put on the collector, the merge section is actually hitting the car!!!! So now we have to take out the collector and try to find a way to move it over half an inch to clear the car and the connectors for the O2s below. This is probably the worst exhaust system I've ever bought, let alone the 12g price tag , not that 12g is a lot, but I've used Supersprint systems on my previous cars before, and I would have never thought this would come out this way. On a side note, I could have the full exhaust built in titanium for 12g. Next time I'm getting an exhaust for my next ride, I'm going custom.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
When you go custom jsut make sure you copy R&D system so you wont loose power !!!

Btw Titanium exhaust would of been NICE !!! Lots o weight savaings...
Old 10-01-2007, 01:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

monowiper
any current sound file on this system?
the original doesn't seem to work anymore
Old 10-01-2007, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
supersprint

just another very happy customer.

I did the headers (god they are gorgeous), cats, and xpipe. I didn't do the supersprint mufflers.

Quality is amazing and the sound is just insane.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:39 AM

06 CLS55, She drives: 08 CLS63, 08 CLK63 Black Series
Very Nice