W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yawwwnnnn......now Jaq is going at AMG...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
so i dont get it they say the new supercharged engine will make 400 hp, i have an 06 xkr victory edition and it puts out 390 hp, 10 hp more wont make it an amg fighter (btw it is very quick but by no means can it beat an e55 or such)
Old 01-19-2006, 12:28 PM

'06 E55
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Let's all keep our fingers crossed that the likes of Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover (and anyone else?) don't get Forded Up by Ford!
Lets not forget about Aston. As an aside, I've heard rumors of an v12 Range Rover (Aston transplant??). Now that would be a nice addition to the line up.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:58 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by Archi
Lets not forget about Aston. As an aside, I've heard rumors of an v12 Range Rover (Aston transplant??). Now that would be a nice addition to the line up.
AM was the "anyone else?" that I just couldn't think of - thanks. And yes, there are at least two potential advantages of Ford being involved: one would be sharing of powerplants, such as the Jag V8 in the Land Rovers; and another would be Ford's money (or capital since debt might more likely be involved) allowing these (relatively) small-sales marques to bring to fruition their various long-dreamt-of new ideas and products - which they haven't been able to do on their own: let alone allowing them or providing for them to stay in business and not face the potentiality of having to shut their doors....
It is probably not an entirely bad thing - if you look at the whole picture....
Old 01-19-2006, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Jag has put out a freighter-load of great performance cars throughout their history -- and you just can't dis them for that. You can't. They have a proven, admirable, and respected history. A history of innovation too. And motorsports. So just don't go there...please?
Back in the day - http://www.fast-autos.net/spotlight/jaguarxj220.html
Old 01-19-2006, 01:27 PM

My love for Jaguar runs deep. I rent cars a lot for work. I get really good rates and for a while my preferred rental car was the XJ8.

...I had a 2005 XJ8 that had the driver's side mirror glass fall off on the freeway
...I had a 2005 XJ8 that got stuck on a mexican radio station and would not let me change the station, volume, or the input (CD, etc)
...I had a 2005 XJ8 that had the sunglasses compartment door break off
...I had a 2005 XJ8 that had the driver's side power seat break -- twice
...I had a 2005 XJ8 that had a hood which didn't align with the rest of the car and would "wabble" in the wind at speed.
...I had a 2005 XJ8 that was happily wrecked after getting cut off by a truck.

Conclusion: Jaguar should not build cars.

oh, and I rent A6's now.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:02 PM

2008 CLK63 BS
Awwwwwwww man.... I really don't want to touch this one...but -
Jag has put out a freighter-load of great performance cars throughout their history -- and you just can't dis them for that. You can't. They have a proven, admirable, and respected history. A history of innovation too. And motorsports. So just don't go there...please?

What have they done for us lately? Their new V8 is a nice engine. Their new factory-armored sedan is a great package. And they make lots of Ford jokes in the bathrooms.

See? They're not so bad!

At least I have 1 other person on my side.

Mike
Old 01-21-2006, 01:44 AM
Vadim-SoCal

New XJ, 2004, should of looked like CLS.

Sleek and powerful, instead of old and feeble.

In the last several months a number of high-end execs have left the company. People who were hired to turn Jag around. Now they are gone.
Which tells me even they found situation hopeless.

Sad, really sad....................Failed F1 effort, old looking cars, no creed on the street. It could of been a good rival to AMG and M.

Instead a new XJ that looks like an old one, Mondeo based X-type, S-type no one cares for and a new XK that looks like 2000 Taurus.

Guess which car is 2007 XK.
Attached Thumbnails Yawwwnnnn......now Jaq is going at AMG...-xkt.jpg  
Old 01-21-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
From a former S Type R owner

I off'd the R for my e55 wagon. For a car with a great engine, decent brakes, serviceable interior (even though the leather felt like vinyl, and the vinyl/plastic door panel parts looked and felt like crap for the most part), and the same tranny as the 7-series bimmer, the S Type R (which was to jag what the "V-series" is to Cadillac, the "M" to bimmer, the "AMG" to merc, no matter what they're trying to tell us now) was a curiously strange and unsettling animal. It made all manner of odd lurchings, creakings, squealings (steering column - unsolvable, even after dismantling and reassembly) and the like that could only ever be traced to that dreaded "DD" - "design defects". I was at the stealer a few weeks ago and the salesguy told me that they sold my traded in Jag a few days after our transaction, to a fellow that was really excited about it (it was an undeniably sexy and hot/powerful looking car - I loved it enough to buy it, after all). He took it up to Santa Barbara about a week or so thereafter and blew up the rear diff, tranny and a few other things underhood... Dash lit up like an xmas tree, leaving him sitting up on the 101 scratching his *****. Very depressing for him; very lucky for me to have traded it off when I did!!!

For anyone interested in Jaguar's current state of play, do check out www.thelurch.com -- it's the site that showed me that I wasn't alone!

Unlike many others, I think Ford's ownership did a lot in favor of Jaguar; the improvements in the electronics and wiring over that Brit Lucas crap are alone worth the price of admission. Fords are boring but generally solidly reliable autos for the most part. Jag's designers fail their cars by engineering in defects; I'd suspect that, had they done better with the steering column, rear diff, etc., Jags would be among the most dependable cars out there nowadays. Too bad, isn't it? The cars suck, everyone knows it, and the Jag division's been bleeding Ford to the tune of about 2 bn/year for awhile now. If that little coupe doesn't hit (and it's not as KABOOM sexy as it appeared in the concept car form), Jag could go the way of Oldsmobile. Hell, maybe Hyundai will buy the brand from Ford...

v