W211 E55 brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 04:19 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
W211 E55 brake pads

Does anyone have a set of used (worn out but in good condition) stock W211 E55 brake pads they would like to sell? I'm looking for front and back.
Thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by dsc
Does anyone have a set of used (worn out but in good condition) stock W211 E55 brake pads they would like to sell? I'm looking for front and back.
Thanks.
My new EVO 2piece brake kit came and I ordered brand new Pagid low-dust pads so I will have my stock pads (front & Rear) available..

What are they worth? Well over 50% left on them from what I remember the tech telling me.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:26 PM
dsc

2004 E55
I have no idea what they are worth. I'm not interested in how much pad is left. I want the backing plates. Here is the deal. Jerry at For My Mercedes said can send the plates to Porterfield to have the pads put on. This would give me Porterfields with the sensor whole.

How does Pagid compare to Porterfield and are they set up for our brake sensors? When you say "EVO 2piece brake kit" do you mean the two piece rotors? I'm looking at those myself.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2023 GLE 53
I live in Orange County and have been to Porterfield's shop to buy pads for my E430 and ML 500. I asked before about giving them backing plates and putting pads on for the E 55, and they told me that they would not use the old plates except as templates for their pads. They also said they needed a number of orders before they would stock/build the pads. Its been awhile, so I don't remember how many orders they needed.

Would suggest you call them to be sure on this, and if they have changed their approach. If so, that's great, cause their (The RS4) pads are really great on my other cars. Great stopping, no rotor vibration and no dust/squeal.

Finally, I don't think many of us can do our own brake work on the 211 E 55, as the SBC system has to be disabled, to keep the system from energzying at the wrong time, and causing damage. I bought the WIS system (shop manual) DVD just to be sure, and just disconnecting batteries, and electrical SBC connections doesn't look like it will handle it properly. I think you'll need the STAR system to do the job correctly.

Just my $.02, but open to any experience others have had. The overall brake jobs on these cars (other than SBC) looks pretty straightforward.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by dsc
I have no idea what they are worth. I'm not interested in how much pad is left. I want the backing plates. Here is the deal. Jerry at For My Mercedes said can send the plates to Porterfield to have the pads put on. This would give me Porterfields with the sensor whole.

How does Pagid compare to Porterfield and are they set up for our brake sensors? When you say "EVO 2piece brake kit" do you mean the two piece rotors? I'm looking at those myself.

Thanks for the reply.
You dont have to send the plates to Porterfield. Evosport offered me the Porterfield RS4 pads and said they were designed for me to use my STOCK backing plates. I didnt have to do anything special to make them fit.

Vic55 on the board has this setup (maybe he will see this and chime in). My setup is slightly different than his because I decided to use the Pagid pads. I've heard from 2 different sources that the RS4 pads provided LESS braking power than the stock pads and that they did have a tendency to squeal every now and then.

I've heard good things about the Pagid pads so I decided to try those and be the guinea pig.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:59 PM
dsc

2004 E55
OK, here is what I have found, Confusion. EvoSport said neither the Porterfield nor the Pagid can accept the E55 brake sensors. They said to tie the sensors back for either of the pads. They also said the Porterfields may rattle sometimes, didn't say anything about if Pagid rattles. They were not clear about using what backing plate on the Porterfields.

I called Porterfield and after a lot of explaining what I wanted they finally said I could send in my plates and they would put pads on them. It would take about 8 weeks and cost about $450 to $500 for the fronts.

Vrus, I'm still interested in your old pads. EvoSport also told me I could use my Stock plates but not my sensors. I don't get it. Maybe I don't understand the set up on the E55. This is my first mercedes brake job. Any explanation would be appreciated. I do plan on having the Dealer do the job. I just want cleaner better brakes so I can get 30 minutes on the track without loosing them.