Sponsored by:

aftermarket wheels (corrosion problems)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e55
aftermarket wheels (corrosion problems)

i've had my H.R.E's for a year now but have only 2,500 miles on them.in the past 1,000 miles,three of the four wheels have developed corrosion on the inside of the wheels where the tire sits on the rim.this is common with chrome wheels after a couple of years.however,mine are'nt chrome and the corrosion has resulted in loss of pressure which resulted in two bent wheels.i've had the corrosion cleaned off with a wire wheel and had a bead sealer applied,this has worked on two of the three affected wheels.one has continued to have problems and has significant corrosion now.i've taken pictures and e-mailed them to h.r.e and am awaiting a response.this is extremely annoying since one wheel has more of an issue than the other two and one has had no issues.i don't live near the ocean and don't drive in the rain unless i get caught in it,so it puzzles me more.any help would be greatly appreciated.thanks.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
doesn't sound right... ask HRE whats happening to your wheels. if they mite blame it on something, be sure to check back here to see other people's responces.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:39 PM

Maybe you got a dry weather wheel!!!!afterall dragracing is a dry weather sports.Just kidding....i would definately check with the manufacturer.
Ihave a set of aftermarket 22' wheels on my Navigator that is doing the same thing.But i suspect that its doing it b/c the vehicle sits for long periods at a time.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Have you ever used Simple Green on those wheels?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:28 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I would question the alloy used for the forging. It shouldn't corrode. Maybe a mistake at the factory. Contact HRE. I bet they will replace them if they aren't ancient, second or third hand. The only aluminum wheels that I have had corrode were 1980 280Z cast wheels are they were 10 years old.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:52 PM

This may not be happening to you, but I have a set of Auto Couture Supremes that were corroding, but on the rears only (WTF?!). It turned out that my brake pads were wore down and abrasing the rotor ("dumn is you"). B/c of the shavings of either the rotor and/or the brake pad material making contact w/ the wheel, they started rusting immediately after the first light rain fall.

Luckily I had a tin of this stuff (can't remember the name- silver tin can & could also use to polish silverware) that easily removed the corrosive substance & polished the wheels to new.

If your HRE's have polished lips that require reconditioning & HRE can't assist, be sure that you don't use a generic wheel cleaner, as you will "stain" the wheel.

I have a couple of acquaintances who damn near went postal on a detail guy who thought a wheel cleaner would do the job.

Last edited by lexlyf; 01-31-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:38 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by jamusa
Maybe you got a dry weather wheel!!!!afterall dragracing is a dry weather sports.Just kidding....i would definately check with the manufacturer.
Ihave a set of aftermarket 22' wheels on my Navigator that is doing the same thing.But i suspect that its doing it b/c the vehicle sits for long periods at a time.
i've thought that the extended periods of time the vehicle sits may have something to do with the problem,moisture building up because the tires aren't heating up the area.the problem started back during the summer when the humidity was real high and the car not moving.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:40 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by MBE55AMG
Have you ever used Simple Green on those wheels?
no,just soap and water.