W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TIRES...bfg d/radials,nittos 555r or michilins ps2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TIRES...bfg d/radials,nittos 555r or michilins ps2?

I have personally used the nittos 555r and the bfg drag radial.
The nittos i have found to be a great all round tire for both drag racing and regular driving,and gives semi decent thread life.
The bf/g drag radials stick like glue,with poor high speed stabality and poor thread life.......this is the closest you get to drag tires that can be driven on the street.
This brings us to the michilins ps2. While i have never tried it i have heard good things these tires,and their performance.
Can someone who have had experience ,likes and dislikes with all three tires .eloberate on their prefference.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by jamusa
The nittos i have found to be a great all round tire for both drag racing and regular driving,and gives semi decent thread life.
The bf/g drag radials stick like glue,with poor high speed stabality and poor thread life.......this is the closest you get to drag tires that can be driven on the street.
This brings us to the michilins ps2. While i have never tried it i have heard good things these tires,and their performance.
Can someone who have had experience ,likes and dislikes with all three tires .eloberate on their prefference.
Sounds like the PS2's are the best from the research that I have done. I will be putting on a pair next weekend. Will let you know what I think,,
Old 01-22-2006, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by jamusa
The ps2's are not even close to being twice as good as the Nittos.. but are twice the price Alot of hype on the ps2's in my opinion, They are great tires though but not worth the high $
Old 01-22-2006, 11:07 PM

07 S65
I have had all three and as far as performance goes the PS2's are last. If you're looking for performance and drivability you need to buy the Toyo RA1's. I hate to keep saying that but you guys keep bringing this topic up. The PS2 is a good tire but it's not going to come close to perfromning as well as the Toyo, not close at all. I'll bet any of you any amount of money that it doesn't.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:38 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by DJe55
I have had all three and as far as performance goes the PS2's are last. If you're looking for performance and drivability you need to buy the Toyo RA1's. I hate to keep saying that but you guys keep bringing this topic up. The PS2 is a good tire but it's not going to come close to perfromning as well as the Toyo, not close at all. I'll bet any of you any amount of money that it doesn't.
Have to agree with my boy Derrick! Last time at the track his tires came close to keeping up with my BG DR's. Remember I had DR's and he had those Toyo RA1's.

Those tires rock for everyday driving and 1/4 track use. My DR's thou better had to changed out after leaving the track.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:28 PM

'08 CLS63
thank you for your answer!!! think my next set will be the RA1's.

when you read the board about tires, it seems everybody thinks PS2's are from god...i run the DSG-3's with great luck but want something that hooks and can be dirven in the rain...went to toyo's web site...the RA1's have a treadwear of 100...awesome!

just my $.02 worth

john
Old 01-23-2006, 01:01 PM

2008 E63
I've not heard much on these Toyo's. Anybody have practical experience on mileage from a set? PS2's and S03PP's are brutal. I'll be putting a set on in the spring.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55

DJ - But how well does that Toyo do in the rain? As a competition tire, I don't know if I'd want to be doing 80 mph in the rain on the Turnpike on them.

Being caught once in a downpour in my Z06 on F1 Supercar tires, it is not fun to be on the wrong tire in the rain.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:33 PM

07 S65
Originally Posted by enzom
DJ - But how well does that Toyo do in the rain? As a competition tire, I don't know if I'd want to be doing 80 mph in the rain on the Turnpike on them.

Being caught once in a downpour in my Z06 on F1 Supercar tires, it is not fun to be on the wrong tire in the rain.
I drove the car to IL and back to Md in a weekend with these tires on it. That was a 1400mi road trip. I drove through rain at speeds up to 100mph and on the way back I hit snow. I'm not saying it's great but I'm not buying a tire for it's wet weather performance. I drive my car everyday and I just don't play in it when it's raining. Not to much anyway. What's more important dry weather traction or wet weather traction? If you choose wet weather traction buy an A/S tire and be done with it. If you want to enjoy the power your car has buy a true performance tire. I can tell you that I never felt the power of these cars off the line until I bought this tire. For all you guys saying PS2's, keep buying what everyone else does and expect much of the same. A tire that is no better than what you had to start with. Don't tell me how it feels quicker and all that bs. My car feels faster after I wash it and change the oil. That doesn't mean that it really is. Look at track times with these tires. I know a lot of guys that have gotten 1.7's 60' times out of their Contis. What are you PS2 guys getting? Not any better I can tell you that.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Originally Posted by housclass
thank you for your answer!!! think my next set will be the RA1's.

when you read the board about tires, it seems everybody thinks PS2's are from god...i run the DSG-3's with great luck but want something that hooks and can be dirven in the rain...went to toyo's web site...the RA1's have a treadwear of 100...awesome!

just my $.02 worth

john
I hear that. You have to usually try things out yourself, that said the best opinions come from actual multiple users of different brands.. The rest is hype
Old 01-23-2006, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
I drove the car to IL and back to Md in a weekend with these tires on it. That was a 1400mi road trip. I drove through rain at speeds up to 100mph and on the way back I hit snow. I'm not saying it's great but I'm not buying a tire for it's wet weather performance. I drive my car everyday and I just don't play in it when it's raining. Not to much anyway. What's more important dry weather traction or wet weather traction? If you choose wet weather traction buy an A/S tire and be done with it. If you want to enjoy the power your car has buy a true performance tire. I can tell you that I never felt the power of these cars off the line until I bought this tire. For all you guys saying PS2's, keep buying what everyone else does and expect much of the same. A tire that is no better than what you had to start with. Don't tell me how it feels quicker and all that bs. My car feels faster after I wash it and change the oil. That doesn't mean that it really is. Look at track times with these tires. I know a lot of guys that have gotten 1.7's 60' times out of their Contis. What are you PS2 guys getting? Not any better I can tell you that.
Good points. My Conti's are close to done in the rear, so I am ordering PS2's. I don't ever drive the car in the rain, but I would rather feel a bit safer in the rain if I got caught out with my kids strapped in their car seats.

As for 60 foot times, I don't really know if the PS2's are going to give me better than my 1.881 from my Contis. But the PS2's felt better on the E55 at the AMG challenge (better, more crisp steering response and grip) than my Conti's ever did.

I am sure the Toyo's (as well as the Nitto 555R II's) have much better grip, but with such a low tread wear rating, you would expect that. I would also expect to swap out the rears every 3,000 miles with my driving style.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Thanks for the advice. Think I will forget about getting the PS2's and will order the Toyo RA1's. Sounds like they are very sticky. Looking for much less spin off the line. I am assuming that if I warm the RA1's up a little a practice my launches I should be able to get my E55 off the line much better than with the Contis.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
how is the tread life on the RA-1's? I always wanted to try them but don't want to dish out the cash only to spend more money after couple months of use...
Old 01-24-2006, 04:14 AM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
how is the tread life on the RA-1's? I always wanted to try them but don't want to dish out the cash only to spend more money after couple months of use...
LOL.
With a treadlife rating of 100 how long do you think that they're going to last?
and after you've done a night of dragging at the local strip?
Half that long....

I have two dozen cars that I take to the track. I've got two dozen cars that I don't take to the track. The cars that don't go to the track have street tires on them. The cars that I take to the track have a set of street tires - and a set of track tires.

One of the rules of racing, and cars? Tires and brakes are consummables -- and track-use consumes tires and brakes very quickly. That is one of the reasons that race teams have huge budgets...and spend lots of money racing.

Want to take your car to the track on a Friday night? Good for you, do it. But it is going to cost you just a little bit more than going to the movies....
Old 01-24-2006, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
ps2

ps2
Old 01-24-2006, 08:18 AM

07 S65
I think I had 6000miles on my rears when I changed them. That was with 3 or 4 trips to the track. Like ClayJ said, if you are going to go to the track expect to pay. These tires stick but you have to heat them up a little and when you do, the tread life is going to go quick. You have to pay to play.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
I think I had 6000miles on my rears when I changed them. That was with 3 or 4 trips to the track. Like ClayJ said, if you are going to go to the track expect to pay. These tires stick but you have to heat them up a little and when you do, the tread life is going to go quick. You have to pay to play.

Wow - 6,000 on your rears is great for a 100 treadwear rating.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:54 AM

07 S65
I thought that was pretty good too. They were completely bald when I changed them. I really should have put new ones on earlier but, we had a run of good weather and it wasn't really that big a deal. I am on my 3 set of rears at 15k.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:39 PM

'08 CLS63
you the man!!!!

john
Old 01-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

W221
Originally Posted by ClayJ
LOL.
With a treadlife rating of 100 how long do you think that they're going to last?
and after you've done a night of dragging at the local strip?
Half that long....

I have two dozen cars that I take to the track. I've got two dozen cars that I don't take to the track. The cars that don't go to the track have street tires on them. The cars that I take to the track have a set of street tires - and a set of track tires.

One of the rules of racing, and cars? Tires and brakes are consummables -- and track-use consumes tires and brakes very quickly. That is one of the reasons that race teams have huge budgets...and spend lots of money racing.

Want to take your car to the track on a Friday night? Good for you, do it. But it is going to cost you just a little bit more than going to the movies....

Well I was planning on running the RA1's for the days that I go to the track and put them on my stockies. I run on my other wheels for everyday driving. I was jus wonderin if it was okay to just put my stockies on from home and drive on it to the track instead of swapping everything out there...
Old 01-24-2006, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
...........very impressed by your post. I do not know whether or not PS2's are the best tires in the world. Although this is a great forum, I like you, feel that there is too much herd mentality on the forum that makes it a bit difficult to get objective info. Everyone seems to just go with the same company and same products. Of course this could be because these companies and products represent the best, but many times I suspect it simply represents the "annoited" rather than the best.

Ted
Old 01-25-2006, 03:29 AM
ON PROBATION

Well I was planning on running the RA1's for the days that I go to the track and put them on my stockies. I run on my other wheels for everyday driving. I was jus wonderin if it was okay to just put my stockies on from home and drive on it to the track instead of swapping everything out there...
It is a good point.
But remember that you have to get back from the track with the tires on the car in whatever condition that they're in after running at the track.... And calling up a rollback to bring your car home isn't necessarily inexpensive!
I tired the DOT legal track tires, etc. and driving to and from the track for a few years. Now, usually, I bring two sets of track tires to the track -- and a mechanic(!)
With the Toyo's, or any other drag radials, I would change them out at the track if I were you. I don't drag, however, so you would be better served getting an opinion from someone who does drag regularly on that point....
I'm not trying to bust your ba!!$ - I just want you to think about it a little bit-
Old 01-25-2006, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally Posted by ClayJ
With the Toyo's, or any other drag radials, I would change them out at the track if I were you. I don't drag, however, so you would be better served getting an opinion from someone who does drag regularly on that point.

Drive back and forth on drag radials. As long as you don't encounter rain, you're fine. It's pretty obvious that you need to use your head regarding tire wear, but you aren't going to run through a tire with just a handful of drag passes.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:37 AM

2008 E63
6000 miles is pretty good for a tire half the price of the PS2 you get 8000 out of....
Old 01-31-2006, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
DJE55,
What size Toyo tires did you put on yur ride. I was looking at their website and it doesn't look like they offer 265/35AR18s for the rear. The do have the 245/40ZR18s for the front though...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TIRES...bfg d/radials,nittos 555r or michilins ps2?