Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 08:10 AM
kip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
buyer's guide E 55 AMG

Hi!

I am thinking of getting a used W211 E55 AMG, but there are no buying guides available on the internet. When I bought the M5, there were many guides in different magazines (M5 messageboard, Total BMW etc.). This is where I picked up knowledge about broken MAF's etc. It was very useful in finding just the right specimen. Does anyone remember seeing a guide in any car magazine? Maybe a general W211 buyer's guide?

It would be really important to know what to look for, major faults etc. WHat are the symptoms?
I know about the recall lists, but they really don't help pinpoint the big issues.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/118719-w211-technical-service-bulletins.html

You guys don't talk about faults as much as on the M5messageboard. Is it because these are pretty bulletproof cars, or are there only minor faults and no fault that really applies to all cars?

I've only so far heard (on this board) about the kompressor overheating problem (intercooler pump), SBC pump problems and MAF sensor issues. Anything else good to know?

Thanks!

KIP

Last edited by kip; 02-05-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by kip

It would be really important to know what to look for, major faults etc. WHat are the symptoms?
I know about the recall lists, but they really don't help pinpoint the big issues.
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118719

You guys don't talk about faults as much as on the M5messageboard. Is it because these are pretty bulletproof cars, or are there only minor faults and no fault that really applies to all cars?

I've only so far heard (on this board) about the kompressor overheating problem (intercooler pump), SBC pump problems and MAF sensor issues. Anything else good to know?

Thanks!

KIP
Hmm..well people used to complain about the s/c chip, you noted the sbc already...A few cars have stall problems in traffic and/or hot weather, but I dont think that was that widespread. Not sure if there are that many other major faults that I can recall...everything else is just all of us nitpicking i think. The reason you cant find them is bc most of the time we post about each issue separately.
Good luck with your potential purchase!
Old 02-05-2006, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
After 17k miles, I haven't had any of the persistant problems mentioned in the forum. I stalled once and had one "Check Engine" light that wouldn't go away but it was fixed on the next service. Get a car still in warranty and run the vin on the dealer's computer to check it's service history.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I think a major problem that Es have that for the most part has been sorted out since 03 is computerized braking.

I had an 03 and didn't like the brakes at all, but the 05 has great well modulated brakes. Still not as good as BMW IMO but will stop you right now.

Failures are rare and some others on the forum have experienced them but no accidents have been reported that I know of. MB is deep 6ing system in the next iteration (W212)

My guide for you is to buy the newest one you can find as soon as possible. They are great cars.