W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery, Strange Noise from CD player, Stuck CD.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 01:05 AM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Dead Battery, Strange Noise from CD player, Stuck CD.

Left lights on, tried to start car next morning, batteries sucked dry. Jumped car, drove around until the display no longer showed the battery warning and have been fine since. However, I noticed right after the car started back up after I jumped it, there was a clicking noise coming from the center console. Sounded like a clock. Couldn't figure out what it was...but it would do this non stop with the car on and off. Well, about 2 weeks later it still kept ticking non stop and I finally figured the noise was coming from the single slot cd player.

Placed a cd in there and watched it take slow bites as it loaded it in inch/pause/by inch. Well, the ticking clock sound went away, but the cd won't eject. The system doesn't even recognize a cd in there.

First off, anyone know what went wrong after the dead battery? Secondly, is there something I can do to correct the problem or do I need to take the car in?

I know there is another battery for the electronics to run off of. I'm wondering if this somehow did not get recharged, and does not have enough juice to eject the disc or what. I would think the alternator would have recharged it by now...but not sure how the battery system in this beast works. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 E55
You don't need almost any juice at all to eject a CD ))) LOL.
If your car starts - there is power to crush that cd into ashes.
When mine went dead, I had to rev my Pathy for 15-20 mins charging the battery untill I could start the 55.
You could've burned smth inside the CD Player, depending on how correctly you've jump started it. Or it's just a coincidence.
Does your CD tries to come out at all??
Cos mine comes out a little bit and you have to catch with your fingers and pull it out.
Anyway - if you have warranty - just go to the dealership IMHO.
If not, try to figure out yourself, play with it for a while.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
That actually happened to me too. The dealer told me that the battery shorted. Signal was being sent but not received. They are lookin at it right now. They told me that all they had to do was find out where the signal wasn't being received and swap it out or something like that. Hope this helps...
Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM

'34 Lagonda, '69 280SL, '07 E63 wagon
Exact same thing happented to me. My single CD no longer functions and this loud ticking noise is coming from my player. I have to shut the radio off and turn the key to get it to stop.

I also had a dead battery last week, and I didn't connect the two things together until now.

Anyone have an easy fix? I hate to make a trip to the dealer for something like this.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:55 PM

'14 E63S Estate, '05 E55T
Ditto...single player ate my CD last year so the dealer switched out the whole unit - had the car not been under warranty it would have been one hefty bill -

Tom