W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner, some questions and observations...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Owner, some questions and observations...

I've been living with a 2006 E55 for the past 3 months. The car is almost finished with the break-in process.

I am pretty satisfied with the build quality of the car (I've heard horror stories of bad electronics/workmanship during the mid-late '90s). The power is, as always, very nice to have. The engine sound (when car is switched to 'sport' mode) is very nice. I think it's a little more subdued when in 'comfort' mode. I have a 996TT to compare to. The only bad (?) thing about all the power and torque is that I lose quite a bit of traction doing real fast lane changes, or trying to get the jump at the lights (esp. when it's mildy damp outside). I think the E55 would be a phenomenal car with AWD.

The suspension is fine for what it is (it's holding up about 4000 pounds of metal). I've tried chucking it around several times already, and, unsuprisingly, it rolls and wallows a bit. I must say though, the 'sport 1/2' modes are actually quite useful. 2 mode provides pretty good damping (again considering the weight, not bad). I have however, noticed some clunking noises over speed bumps (maybe the air struts extending?).
The ride quality around town is actually pretty good. My family can ride in pretty good comfort.

The steering wheel and feel I don't like too much. Nor do I like the brake feel. I've invoked ABS several times, and noticed that there are no indicators of it's function; none in pedal feel, nor steering feel. I'm sure its gone off several times without me knowing too. The brakes are very powerful, and should be even better when I switch to better tires. The steering itself is very light. It was very discomforting at first, but I've gotten used to it now. Again, I have a 996TT that I can compare to (the 911, is by far, superior in the steering department).

Now, I have some questions:
1) At part to half throttle, it sometimes feels like the car is lurching. But it isn't happening at the 1-2 shift. It's still in 1st, around 1200-2200 rpms. It just lurches, and feels like clutch slip. Any ideas, or fixes?
2) Does the Sensotronic brakes buzz a lot? I can always hear it buzzing when the car is coming to a stop, or idling. Normal?
3) Why does the Pulse function in the Active seats turn off after 5 minutes of use? It's annoying that it won't stay on.
4) Does the voice on the Navigation sometime turn very low, almost inaudible for no reason?
5) During start and idle from a cold engine, is it normal for the engine to shudder? I know the rpms are supposed to rise and fall to help warm up, but sometimes the car just feels like its hacking up a hairball.
6) Lastly, do MB dealers really give a hard time to service MB cars? I get a lot of grief when I try to describe these problems to them. They look at me like I'm crazy all the time.

Thanks for your patience and input.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:14 PM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0
Originally Posted by saveur
I've been living with a 2006 E55 for the past 3 months. The car is almost finished with the break-in process.

I am pretty satisfied with the build quality of the car (I've heard horror stories of bad electronics/workmanship during the mid-late '90s). The power is, as always, very nice to have. The engine sound (when car is switched to 'sport' mode) is very nice. I think it's a little more subdued when in 'comfort' mode. I have a 996TT to compare to. The only bad (?) thing about all the power and torque is that I lose quite a bit of traction doing real fast lane changes, or trying to get the jump at the lights (esp. when it's mildy damp outside). I think the E55 would be a phenomenal car with AWD.

The suspension is fine for what it is (it's holding up about 4000 pounds of metal). I've tried chucking it around several times already, and, unsuprisingly, it rolls and wallows a bit. I must say though, the 'sport 1/2' modes are actually quite useful. 2 mode provides pretty good damping (again considering the weight, not bad). I have however, noticed some clunking noises over speed bumps (maybe the air struts extending?).
The ride quality around town is actually pretty good. My family can ride in pretty good comfort.

The steering wheel and feel I don't like too much. Nor do I like the brake feel. I've invoked ABS several times, and noticed that there are no indicators of it's function; none in pedal feel, nor steering feel. I'm sure its gone off several times without me knowing too. The brakes are very powerful, and should be even better when I switch to better tires. The steering itself is very light. It was very discomforting at first, but I've gotten used to it now. Again, I have a 996TT that I can compare to (the 911, is by far, superior in the steering department).

Now, I have some questions:
1) At part to half throttle, it sometimes feels like the car is lurching. But it isn't happening at the 1-2 shift. It's still in 1st, around 1200-2200 rpms. It just lurches, and feels like clutch slip. Any ideas, or fixes?
2) Does the Sensotronic brakes buzz a lot? I can always hear it buzzing when the car is coming to a stop, or idling. Normal?
3) Why does the Pulse function in the Active seats turn off after 5 minutes of use? It's annoying that it won't stay on.
4) Does the voice on the Navigation sometime turn very low, almost inaudible for no reason?
5) During start and idle from a cold engine, is it normal for the engine to shudder? I know the rpms are supposed to rise and fall to help warm up, but sometimes the car just feels like its hacking up a hairball.
6) Lastly, do MB dealers really give a hard time to service MB cars? I get a lot of grief when I try to describe these problems to them. They look at me like I'm crazy all the time.

Thanks for your patience and input.

1. isn't that the speed the SC kicks in, is it a lunge forward?
2. I don't have that
3. don't know I never use it
4. while the nav-voice is speaking you can adjust the volume with the command volume control (same you use for music) it will keep this volume but it has to be while the voice is speaking, if you miss the voice, press the RPT button next to the eject button and the last command will be repeated and you can then use that opportunity to adjust the nav volume.
5. My car is butter smooth from start to end regardless of engine temp or RPM, perhaps this is a symptom of the the same problem that causes the lurching?
6. 100% no, if I even hint there is a problem with my car, they pick it up (22 miles away) check it out and drop it off upon request.

Hope I have offered some help.

--David
Old 02-16-2006, 07:27 PM

a few...
1. I had the same thing for a while, except mine was at 3500 rpms when the supercharger kicks in... I know this doesn't help you but I haven't heard of that before..
2. My sensotronic brakes buzzed a lot, I just got used to it.
3. Didn't have active seats
4. Do a search for the voice adjust, there are numerous threads on this
5. Since you are still in break-in period, from what I can gather, the engine shudder seems normal. I had it a lot but I live in FL so yours might be worse depending on where you are. Have a tech look at it if you are that worried, but mine used to run at 1300 rpm for a bit then die to 1000 for a bit then to the regular idle once it was warm after a long sit.
6. My MB dealer has been pretty good so far, but I don't really have to get any loaners or have them pick me up so I can't help you in that dept.

As for the steering feel, it's just a part of having the car. The steering isn't made to be ultra quick and responsive like a sports car, remember this is still based of an E class...

The brakes, the feel was horrid, but the power was incredible. Don't worry about the brakes, they do one hell of a job... they just don't give any feedback, well the computer does... I never had any ABS trigger lights either but test them out a good amount, if there is one thing I loved about the E55, it was the sheer amount of speed it could put on and then instantly take off...

Enjoy your Beast
Old 02-16-2006, 09:58 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
2: The Pulse feature is programed from the factory to shut off after 5 minutes, this is normal. Mine does it too. It's just what Mercedes has decided to do.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the input everyone.

About the break-in process: I typically don't follow what the manufacturer recommends to start with. Some of you might not approve. I basically ran it up several times up to 100 mph, hard brake, repeat 5 times. I've never had a problem with this method, as I've done it on several other cars (including the 996TT).

I don't think the erratic idling would be the result of this...
Old 02-17-2006, 05:13 PM

a few...
I really don't either, I pretty much drove like I was going to from 450 miles on... didn't exactly follow all the break-in. Never had any problems with it, except for the supercharger chirp, which wasn't caused by that.
I have always thought of break-in as "drive as you are going to".
Until...
the M5.

I have heard horror stories about using up a lot of oil and actually losing some performance if you don't follow break-in properly. As a result, been babyin' the crap out of it for 774 miles so far... got it last Friday afternoon at about this time.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Well, I'm definitely getting used to the car now! I find myself slowing down at the lights when they turn yellow, instead of trying to get through. The comfort is very good too. I only take out the 996TT when I'm going to trackdays or canyon carving. The 996 feels positively scalpel-like after several weeks of driving the E55!

Another question: How do I brake torque on this car? I've never driven an auto like this before. I assume it's ESP off, then step on brake, RPM up to 2700, and release brake? Thank you!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:50 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by merc655
I really don't either, I pretty much drove like I was going to from 450 miles on... didn't exactly follow all the break-in. Never had any problems with it, except for the supercharger chirp, which wasn't caused by that.
I have always thought of break-in as "drive as you are going to".
Until...
the M5.

I have heard horror stories about using up a lot of oil and actually losing some performance if you don't follow break-in properly. As a result, been babyin' the crap out of it for 774 miles so far... got it last Friday afternoon at about this time.
Did MB fix the chirp?
Old 03-15-2006, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
heh..... go ahead and give that a try and have fun smooking the tires to 60MPH....

really no point to powerbraking, too much torque, you can just hammer it off the line and light em up.....

Originally Posted by saveur

Another question: How do I brake torque on this car? I've never driven an auto like this before. I assume it's ESP off, then step on brake, RPM up to 2700, and release brake? Thank you!
Old 03-15-2006, 11:46 PM

a few...
Nope, never fixed the chirp before I sold it. I kinda liked it for a few days, but then it got old and I just decided to let the dealer do it once they took it, yes I told them to fix it and I am sure that they did, the manager actually was using it as his DD for a week believe it or not.

This car has way too much torque to powerbrake up to 2700. The engine produces 516 lb/ft at 2750rpms, good luck with that. It lights them up from a lot of different speeds. No need to powerbrake.

Last edited by merc655; 03-15-2006 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:56 PM
D-5

2003 E55
1) I think you're referring to the infamous super charger chirp on all AMG 55 cars. There is a fix!
2) Again the infamous buzzing+vibration from the SBC pump. It is normal, you'll get use to it. DRCrowder, I'm surprised that yours doesn't groan!!
3) don't have active seats
4) the volume of the nav-voice is adjustable
5) it happened to me once in a while
6) yes they do! I also find the MB dealers in my area not very "up-front" when it comes to warranty repairs. They often shut me up with "It is normal" until I find myself a good service advisor-Adrian, you're the best!!
Old 03-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Well, you guys were right about that! I did some runs on a semi-closed road and experimented a little. The power braking method was indeed pointless. But it was funnier than hell when the rear started to come around, and the smoke was pouring and I ended up doing donuts instead.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:15 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by D-5
1) I think you're referring to the infamous super charger chirp on all AMG 55 cars. There is a fix!
And that is? Thanks