Hesitation/Near Stall this Morning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by SamE55
Jangy, I've met CTE430 in person and I can assure you that he is not making up stories about his car having stalled in the past. This is a major issue with our E55s and we're just trying to help each other here. I hope it never happens to you but I wouldn't be suprised if it did as you put more miles on it. The bad thing is that there are no error codes registered when the stalling occurs which is why dealer can't do much.
I hope it never happens to me, either. It actually sounds like there are 2 different scenarios going on. I have no clue which one CTE430 was talking about or the details. I guess he and I just got at it and so i didn't care enough to look at it from another perspective. Either way, I already apologized to RJC, especially since I dragged him into it. Now I'll apologize to whomever else I may have offended, including CTE430. I meant no harm. Just getting into the details a bit. Point is that these people have something going on with their cars that is making them upset and that is understandable. For me to judge the magnitude of the situation was unfair and uncalled for. I am not and have not been in that exact situation, so I should not have come out and stated it as I did.

I'll try to work on my delivery. In the mean time, I wish those that are having any issue the best of luck getting them resolved.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by jangy
I hope it never happens to me, either. It actually sounds like there are 2 different scenarios going on. I have no clue which one CTE430 was talking about or the details. I guess he and I just got at it and so i didn't care enough to look at it from another perspective. Either way, I already apologized to RJC, especially since I dragged him into it. Now I'll apologize to whomever else I may have offended, including CTE430. I meant no harm. Just getting into the details a bit. Point is that these people have something going on with their cars that is making them upset and that is understandable. For me to judge the magnitude of the situation was unfair and uncalled for. I am not and have not been in that exact situation, so I should not have come out and stated it as I did.

I'll try to work on my delivery. In the mean time, I wish those that are having any issue the best of luck getting them resolved.
Apology accepted. And you are right, my situation was probably a little bit different than RJC. I'll try to explain what used to happen (remember I know longer have the car - but you can do a search on "stalling").

I had the car about 2 weeks the first time it happened. "stalled" is probably the wrong word. Shut off is more appropriate. It was very hot, in stop and go traffic. Car was stopped, gave it gas to move forward and I didn't go anywhere. I looked down and the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree. Turned the key and started right up. I didn't think anything of it; figured I must have done something wrong. A month later it happened again. Brought it in to the dealer and they increased the idle speed. Happened again. brought it back in and as others have mentioned, no codes were thrown. The only consistent thing was hot weather and stop and go traffic. Started doing some research and after talking to a lot of people (including Rob Allen, who I became friendly with) we started focusing on the crank sensor. I was told that on the benz a faulty crank sensor will not throw a code and can cause the car to shut off.

It got to the point where I could tell it was going to shut off. Seemed to get a little jumpy when slowing down to a stop (i'm talking real slow - like 5 mph). On one occasion I was slowing to a stop in heavy traffic and if my foot wasn't on the brake I would have hit the car in front. The car just kind of lunged forward.

Replacing the sensor seemed to help with no incidents for 6-8 months. Happened one more time, replaced the sensor immediately and didn't do it again.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:40 PM

With no codes a good technician would install an automotive black box, which is an engine data parameter recorder. This device can record engine timing, fuel injector data, and all the necessary data for the operation of an engine.

You would drive around as you normally do, while driving the black box is recording every operating parameter available from the electronic control unit of the vehicle. When the engine stalls if it were an electronic fault, that information is stored in the black box.

The technician can up load and read all the data stored; by analyzing the sensor readings he can pin point the cause, only if it’s an electronic problem. At least MB can eliminate the ECU as the cause.

If your current dealer is not willing to work with you, to find the solution, find another dealer that will.

good luck.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
If it makes u feel any better I had the same issue on a 330 bimmer - cam sensor - threw the vanos way off track and car just limped along / stalled but was progressive and not all the time.... so yes since the MB does not have var valve timing it should then only be the crank sensor...
Old 06-21-2006, 12:55 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts
Exclamation Porsche's too?

Check out this thread from Rennlist, it appears Porsche's are having a similar type problem:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...0&page=1&pp=15
Old 09-14-2008, 08:29 PM

2001 E55 AMG & 2004 C230 Kompressor
Me too

Wierd thing happened Today on the way home I was cruising @ 40ish and the light changed to red so I started to brake normal (no mashing it) and then my car stalled, yes an actual stall the engine shut off all the idiot lights lit up...... I put it in neutral and turned the key and it started right up? It ran normal all the way home. ANYONE? This is the first time this has EVER happened.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by rflow306
The key-less go will not shutoff the car while in park when the key is out of range. But the minute you put the car in drive and try to drive away the car shuts-off.
Actually, the car will NOT shut off if the key was not detected (at least on the 2007 E63 models and up). One time, my friend and I were racing each other, then decided to swap cars, but when we swapped cars, I forgot to give him my key as it was in my pocket. The car kept displaying a warning message that the key was not detected, but continued to run fine for at least 20 to 30 minutes, then he said the warning messages got more aggressive, so we eventually stopped and I gave him the key.

Last edited by MB_Forever; 09-15-2008 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Actually, the car will NOT shut off if the key was not detected (at least one the 2007 E63 models and up). One time, my friend and I were racing each other, then decided to swap cars, but when we swapped cars, I forgot to give him my key as it was in my pocket. The car kept displaying a warning message that the key was not detected, but continued to run fine for at least 20 to 30 minutes, then he said the warning got more aggressive, so we eventually stopped on the side of the road, and I gave him the key.
I think it might have to do with a distance thing, on my 05 after a certain distance the car shuts off. I have done it to valet guys and some friends a few times.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:36 PM

2004 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Audi A6 4.2, 2008 WRX STI
My car is doing the same thing!!!!!!!
It started about 2 months ago, but havent had time to fix it since im away...
Cold start----Car starts fine.....
But, when i keep driving and driving or when the engine is hot, it wouldnt start after i come out of convenient store or wherever....
I seriously don't know what the issue is, but it does it once or twice a day...
So, i was thinking maybe the fuel line is dirty???
Once, it stopped in the middle of NYC...and that was bad experience...
Everytime it doesnt stop, i usually try to start it for 5+ minutes...then, it would somehow start again, but rpm drops pretty low after that (almost close to stalling) my friend told me it could be the fuel...not sending enough fuel to the engine to start or whatever....
Im wondering what could be the cause of this problem..
im goin to Jersey to drop my car off to tech in two weeks...
Old 09-16-2008, 06:07 PM

04 - 06 e55 Wagon - looking for
It is not confident building when one experiences a power related issue (whether it be from a faulty or non faulty ESP/Fuel/transmission/sensor system) and the dealer is unable to diagnose the root cause because the issue is unreproducible (at that time) and the computer throws 'no codes'. I had a personal experience with my friends Mercedes, albeit NOT an E series where the car would lose power to the wheels during coast down once the MPH went below 40mph +/- (can't remember sine it was in 05). The engine would run and I could press the gas pedal and rev the engine, but the car would not accelerate. It was only until the speed got below 17 mph +/- (can't exactly remember again) that I would feel an engagement and the car would respond normal. This happened on a road trip 200 miles from home on a Saturday late afternoon. And the issue was easily duplicated a number of time. There were not lights or warning indicators when this happened. On Sunday after the car sat all night, everything was fine so the drive back home was uneventful - thankfully. However, the next few days, the issue occurred and I immediately took the car into the dealer but they weren't able to reproduce the issue and they stated 'no error codes' though they kept it a day. The service writer said to drive it see if it happens again and then to bring the car back so they can try to get the code. The issue occurred again the next day and I brought it back to the dealer, they said no code was logged. They kept the car for three days and were still unable to reproduce the issue. Since then, the car has been flawless. I did tell my friend the car was not safe to drive, but she was stuck between a rock and a hard place and needed the car for work. Luckily everything turned out fine. I told her to keep a video camera in the car the next time it happens so she can document the issue - luckily she didn't need to. I'm thankful too, because I would have had to do the videotaping.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by AMG Rider
My car is doing the same thing!!!!!!!
It started about 2 months ago, but havent had time to fix it since im away...
Cold start----Car starts fine.....
But, when i keep driving and driving or when the engine is hot, it wouldnt start after i come out of convenient store or wherever....
I seriously don't know what the issue is, but it does it once or twice a day...
So, i was thinking maybe the fuel line is dirty???
Once, it stopped in the middle of NYC...and that was bad experience...
Everytime it doesnt stop, i usually try to start it for 5+ minutes...then, it would somehow start again, but rpm drops pretty low after that (almost close to stalling) my friend told me it could be the fuel...not sending enough fuel to the engine to start or whatever....
Im wondering what could be the cause of this problem..
im goin to Jersey to drop my car off to tech in two weeks...

anyone?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Originally Posted by AMG Rider
anyone?
My car has been at MBSD since 9/5 for the same issue. This is the 2nd time the car has done this. They will not give me the car back until it reproduces the same issue. I guess the car has once or twice stalled but again no data logged.

I am supposed to pick the car up on Friday. We will see what happens.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by psuball1
My car has been at MBSD since 9/5 for the same issue. This is the 2nd time the car has done this. They will not give me the car back until it reproduces the same issue. I guess the car has once or twice stalled but again no data logged.

I am supposed to pick the car up on Friday. We will see what happens.
let me know how it goes and GL with ur car~
Old 09-22-2008, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
CAR IS FIXED!! After replacing both fuel pumps and the relays it was after all a loose ground wire. I guess it is in the truck and the nut attached to it was coming undone. Anyone with this issue of hesitation may want to get this part checked out.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM

CLS55 AMG 030
I get a hesitation when accelerating slowly ... It seems to happen at 2 different RPM's.

around 1600 and around 3600 .... Car lurches.

This is with about 1/4 throttle. And sometimes more throttle.

I'm surprised the SC comes on with such force even when easy on the throttle making the car buck lightly.

Around corners, it's definately the ESP kicking in which is just plain stupid that Mercedes did not give an easy avenue to turn this off.

My Porsche can be deactivated enough to drift through corners with no problem and no apparent Nanny Control.

Is there a way to make this less sensitive or turn it off ... it's annoying to say the least and the power of these cars makes it a forgone conclusion you're going to break some traction even when not trying to.

C'mon Mercedes ... some of us know how to drive ... there should be a choice.