Star Diagnostic Lowering Issues: Write-up and questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by mbuskuhl
I spent 2.5 hours at the dealership today while they tried to lower car via DAS, I gave them the instructions posted on this forum. When they brought the car to me finally I was not very impressed, in fact I couldn't tell it had been lowered and my SA assured me it was dropped about an inch. I didn't measure beforehand, I am regretting this now!

Center of rim to bottom of wheel well...after supposed lowering...

Level surface, Sport 1 Mode, motor running:

Front - 14.25 inches
Back - 14.125 inches

Level surface, Sport 1 Mode, motor off:
Front - 14.625 inches
Rear - 14 inches

It seems the front drops and the rear raises when the vehicle is running.
I asked the dealer to lower about .75"-1" all around, same front and back drop. The measurements to me don't support a .75" -1" drop.

Any other measurements out there? I went by the dealer and measured an e55 that wasn't on perfectly flat ground and got these measurements:

Front - 14.25"
Rear - 14"

I agree that the front lowers and the back raises up when the car is running and being driven. I had a freind drive my car so i could watch it on the road and the car looked like a dragster. The front was really low down and the back was at stock ride height.

Kind of odd. These suspensions are to tricky and i think the best way to lower it would be with an adjustable airmatic chip from a tuner. But then the old warranty goes adios and I dont want to do that.

If I cant get the car to sit correctly I will have to just go back to stock ride height.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
So i took the time to go measure the ride height on my car (all 3 minutes it took!) and here are the figures.

The figures are measured from the bottom of the fender lip to the center of the mercedes star in the center of the wheel. I used a yard stick to measure.

The front sits at 12.9 inches and the rear is at 13.0 inches.

In comfort mode it is 13.1 inches and the rear is also 13.1

Can we get some more figures? Its not that low i guess and maybe I just dont need a lowered car really? But I think my car was sitting far higher than some when stock.

I go back to the dealership on tuesday (if it does not rain) and I will see about having it raised back up a bit. I can also get my trunk closer to work once again. This thing keeps having issues.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
second that on more measurements please!!!!!!! Please grab a tape measure or long ruler and spend 3 minutes....

I couldn't get a single person in the 211 non AMG forum where I belong to measure either. Thank you CynCarvin32 for your measurements, at least we know your's is a heck of alot lower than mine and your dealer actually lowers the car. Time for me to send in the customer satisfaction survey I have been holding onto since my last visit.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55
Themeasurements I supplied earlier in the thread are from the ground to the top of the wheel arch. Doing it to the ground is much faster with a tape measure and eliminates the need to judge the centre of the wheel.
I'll see if I can do it your way tommorrow.