W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Rattles - Help!!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2006 | 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Rattles - Help!!?

Got a few squeeks ... that are beginning to annoy me now.

Anyone notice from the console above the rear view mirror a high pitched "noise" ? Sounds like one of the buttons vibrating at very high freq in its socket, or some wiring in roof catching somewhere - only hear it on freeway at constant speeds > 80mph, but its right by my ear - any clues? Have sunroof option.

There is also a "creak" I get from the dashboard I cannot gather exactly where but somewhere behind the instrument cluster top speaker cover / ventilation ducts. Its seems its a flex noise from the console expanding contracting as it heats / cools but also could be a contact rubbing some where - again any clues ?

Centre rear video sceeen frame. This is more of a desgin flaw than a noise but same creak type noise when ever it gets too much vibration - suppose some petroleum jelly in right spot should sort that one out. Sounds like firm plastic on firm plastic crack/ creak noise.

I am sorry if I sound like a pedantic idiot but the test car I drove was dead slient from these quirks and one of the reasons I bought the car. These little creaks are now a little more than a little annoying - and with only 650 miles on clock dont really want to wait another 400miles for the visit to the stealer who often when trying to fix these make many more others.

Rgds Steve.
Old 02-27-2006 | 10:16 AM
dsc

2004 E55
I don't have any of those noises. I have a 2004 with 21,000 miles on it.
Old 02-27-2006 | 11:33 AM

one of seven
'04 - no noises, rattles or squeeks!! (so far)
Old 02-27-2006 | 12:58 PM

A SL55 delivered 8/18/07, and an E55 wagon delivered 5/11/05
I have a rattle in the dash too it is sparatic...took it to the dealer 3 times they "could not duplicate the problem" hence no fix. When I changed tires I noticed a 90 % decrease in the frequency and severity of the rattle. Do not wait until your 1,000 mile check up take it in now give them a list of your complaints and let them try to fix it. maybe all you need is a wheel balance or a screw tighented . Good Luck Wolf
Old 06-07-2006 | 09:38 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by stevebez
Got a few squeeks ... that are beginning to annoy me now.

Anyone notice from the console above the rear view mirror a high pitched "noise" ? Sounds like one of the buttons vibrating at very high freq in its socket, or some wiring in roof catching somewhere - only hear it on freeway at constant speeds > 80mph, but its right by my ear - any clues? Have sunroof option.

There is also a "creak" I get from the dashboard I cannot gather exactly where but somewhere behind the instrument cluster top speaker cover / ventilation ducts. Its seems its a flex noise from the console expanding contracting as it heats / cools but also could be a contact rubbing some where - again any clues ?

Centre rear video sceeen frame. This is more of a desgin flaw than a noise but same creak type noise when ever it gets too much vibration - suppose some petroleum jelly in right spot should sort that one out. Sounds like firm plastic on firm plastic crack/ creak noise.

I am sorry if I sound like a pedantic idiot but the test car I drove was dead slient from these quirks and one of the reasons I bought the car. These little creaks are now a little more than a little annoying - and with only 650 miles on clock dont really want to wait another 400miles for the visit to the stealer who often when trying to fix these make many more others.

Rgds Steve.
Steve and others; did you get the rattles resolved yet?

I think I have isolated the dash rattle (hence my other post) it's is coming from the instrument cluster plastic shroud, as if you lightly hit the top of the dash to the left or right of the cluster you should be able to replicate the noise. The noise is coming from the black plastic shroud and or the clear plastic cover over the gauges. I slipped a credit card between those two areas right below the odometer and the noise stopped. Thankfully now that I've isolated it, either I can try to fix it (anyone know how to remove the cluster?) or let the dealer do it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by RJC; 06-07-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-08-2006 | 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will check this as the source - I still got a creak noise from dash somewhere - cannot find it ! Thanks for info.
Old 06-08-2006 | 12:07 PM

2006 E55 AMG
I have owned numerous cars and they all have their funny little noises. You can spend countless hours chasing these little gremlins and lose nights and nights of sleep. But, there is hope, a very simple fix.....turn up the stereo!

OK, that wasn't funny. Sorry.
Old 06-08-2006 | 01:05 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rudyrono
I have owned numerous cars and they all have their funny little noises. You can spend countless hours chasing these little gremlins and lose nights and nights of sleep. But, there is hope, a very simple fix.....turn up the stereo!

OK, that wasn't funny. Sorry.
lol...
Old 06-08-2006 | 02:27 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by stevebez
I will check this as the source - I still got a creak noise from dash somewhere - cannot find it ! Thanks for info.
i previously owned a 2001 clk 55 with dash creaking issues.turns out the dash was rubbing against the base of the windshield.if i applied minimal pressure to the area near the windshield,the creaking would disappear but return when i took away the pressure.i fixed this problem by taking black athletic socks (ankle length) and wedging them between the dash and windshield base where they weren't visible.i used three, spaced evenly along the area. a cheap fix and not visible ,even the dealer couldn't resolve the creaking;not surprising although.
Old 06-08-2006 | 02:35 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rbc55
i previously owned a 2001 clk 55 with dash creaking issues.turns out the dash was rubbing against the base of the windshield.if i applied minimal pressure to the area near the windshield,the creaking would disappear but return when i took away the pressure.i fixed this problem by taking black athletic socks (ankle length) and wedging them between the dash and windshield base where they weren't visible.i used three, spaced evenly along the area. a cheap fix and not visible ,even the dealer couldn't resolve the creaking;not surprising although.
Had the same issue with my 01 CLK430. The only way the dealership could fix the problem was removing the dash cover and putting felt tape along the edge that was rubbing against the windshield; I did not want the dash removed some I pushed in small pieces of felt (similar to what you did) at strategic spots and the noise was gone.
Old 06-09-2006 | 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Gotta try that ! Now where are my socks ????
Old 06-09-2006 | 02:43 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

You can also use a credit card to find the exact point of contact causing the noise, it also helps push the felt in.