Sponsored by:

First Time at the Drag Strip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold
First Time at the Drag Strip

Hey everyone, I just got back from my first trip to LACR (Los Angeles County Raceway in Palmdale), 1st time ever running the quarter mile. A little about the conditions first.

Temp was 45 degrees, and windy. The traction at the track sucked. Also LACR is at 2800 feet above sea level.

Car: Stock 2006 E55, stock tires, factory pressures.

All runs were with traction control on, tranny in Sport mode, and suspension in comfort mode.

My best ET was a 12.90 (which using the correction factor for elevation is a 12.51)

My best trap speed was a 109.20 (112.48 using the correction factor)

My best 60' was a 2.09

Mine was the fastest showroom stock car there. Now for the fun part.

I lined up with an E60 M5 with Eisenmann exhaust, twice. Our first run, I did a 13.06 @ 109.20, he ran a 14.31 @ 103.25 .Second run, I ran a 13.15 @ 107.09, he ran a 17.17 @ 93.99. On the way home, I ran into him again on the freeway, and we went at it a few times. The first two times, I pulled about 2 car lengths on him from about 75-120. The third time was probably our most even run, and from about 80-130, I pulled about 1 car length on him. I had 3 people in my car, he had 2. All in all, it was a fun night. I think LACR is a bit of a heartbreaker when it comes to numbers, but it is what it is. My buddy with a C6 vette couldnt even get into the 13's. I know theres room for improvement, especially once I get some new tires, and do the Kleemann K1 setup.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 Panamera S, '06 AMG CLS55, '07 Miata MX5, '02 MB SPRINTER, '99 Spec Miata Race Car (2X)
Originally Posted by Akara1
Hey everyone, I just got back from my first trip to LACR (Los Angeles County Raceway in Palmdale), 1st time ever running the quarter mile. A little about the conditions first.

Temp was 45 degrees, and windy. The traction at the track sucked. Also LACR is at 2800 feet above sea level.

Car: Stock 2006 E55, stock tires, factory pressures.

All runs were with traction control on, tranny in Sport mode, and suspension in comfort mode.

My best ET was a 12.90 (which using the correction factor for elevation is a 12.51)

My best trap speed was a 109.20 (112.48 using the correction factor)

My best 60' was a 2.09

Mine was the fastest showroom stock car there. Now for the fun part.

I
Congrats on your first run at the strip. Dont be discouraged by the times - and no matter which drag strip you go to, you will find that you can get at least .3 seconds faster as you improve your launch technique. Its all about the launch - you might think you have it down right now but you will find your times dropping really quickly as you do more runs.

And good ownage of the M5 - my heart really goes out to the M5 boys who waited for so long to get their new uber-sedan, and were fed so much hype by Gustav and others, and now - to have to deal with the continual litany of cars that are giving them a hard time, that they completely expected to dominate, has got to be a bitter pill for them.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few...
Congrats on doing well your first time at the track. Not too bad of numbers.

What's up with the M5 driver, I mean I know it's slower than a 55 but damn.
Congrats on the kill on the highway back too, it seems like the AMGs are still, without a doubt, on top.

Yeah, it does suck not having the fastest car at the track or on the highway but the M is so much different than the 55s and its just so much a different experience that it's not the end of the world to me to have switched to a slower car, even though it does kinda suck knowing I won't win from a light with all of the 55s here in Naples, there are 26 E55s at last count.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Your post says it all, you were slower than a few stock cars on the forum, yet you pulled fastest stock car of the night!.

Said it before, you run worse than expected at the track and you are cursing the car and yourself, then you notice people surrounding your car, then they drop and begin to worship.

It's amazing.....fun too!!

Great Job!!!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 Bentley GTC, Porsche GT2/EVOMS GT700, 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi
45 degrees means that it was too cold for VHT (track adhesive glue) to stick to the track, so you were running on an unprepped track. The 2.0 60' number is actually not too bad on street tires on an unprepped track. When the weather is warmer and the track is sprayed with VHT you will see a vast improvement in your times!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:48 AM

grocery getter
And good ownage of the M5 - my heart really goes out to the M5 boys who waited for so long to get their new uber-sedan, and were fed so much hype by Gustav and others, and now - to have to deal with the continual litany of cars that are giving them a hard time, that they completely expected to dominate, has got to be a bitter pill for them.[/QUOTE]

You cannot be serious? I have had my fair share of cars and currently own an M5. Other than the poor fuel economy and no launch control I could not imagine a better car than the current M5.

Cheers

Last edited by BTPower; 03-02-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:45 AM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0
Originally Posted by BTPower
And good ownage of the M5 - my heart really goes out to the M5 boys who waited for so long to get their new uber-sedan, and were fed so much hype by Gustav and others, and now - to have to deal with the continual litany of cars that are giving them a hard time, that they completely expected to dominate, has got to be a bitter pill for them.
You cannot be serious? I have had my fair share of cars and currently own an M5. Other than the poor fuel economy and no launch control I could not imagine a better car than the current M5.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

no launch control means you don't like losing stright line races from a dig. that's all he was saying....

Glad you like your M5, see you at the drag strip.

--David
Old 03-02-2006, 11:08 AM

grocery getter
Originally Posted by DRCrowder

Cheers
no launch control means you don't like losing stright line races from a dig. that's all he was saying....

--David[/QUOTE]

True, I do not like losing from a dig. To be honest (regarding LC), I probably would not miss it If the European cars did not have it. But since they do, I want that damn thing!

I probably will take my car to the drag strip this summer. I never have before (I don't even know where the nearest one is) but I will give it a shot

Cheers
Old 03-02-2006, 11:14 AM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0

--David
True, I do not like losing from a dig. To be honest (regarding LC), I probably would not miss it If the European cars did not have it. But since they do, I want that damn thing!

I probably will take my car to the drag strip this summer. I never have before (I don't even know where the nearest one is) but I will give it a shot

Cheers
Best of luck to you, the M5 is a sweet car!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

W221
Congrats on the times...not bad at all. If you are interested I plan on going with a couple other buddies of mine in a couple weeks...pm me if you interested in tryin it out again!~!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Originally Posted by DRCrowder
Best of luck to you, the M5 is a sweet car!
Yeah, a sweet, slower car (just kidding!)
Old 03-02-2006, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Cheers[/QUOTE]
and transmission with lots of bugs.

A CLS63 is the best car, and its only 6 months away. Thanks for holding the crown for about 6 months, its time to give it back. (just a small joke )

Last edited by TopGun32; 03-02-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
45 degrees means that it was too cold for VHT (track adhesive glue) to stick to the track, so you were running on an unprepped track. The 2.0 60' number is actually not too bad on street tires on an unprepped track. When the weather is warmer and the track is sprayed with VHT you will see a vast improvement in your times!

Is that so? I had no idea. I was going to head to Englishtown this weekend in 38 degree weather, but if I am going to have to peddle the car out of the hole, why bother?
Old 03-02-2006, 11:06 PM

Sold
Thanks guys, cant wait to do it again. I may take my Mustang out next time too, but that car would have even less traction than the E in this weather.

Benzboi, im interested, so are some of my buddies. Ill pm you.

Ara
Old 03-02-2006, 11:52 PM

Sold
I have a couple of videos, anybody know how to post them? I tried twice, but kept getting txt files.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:02 AM

grocery getter
Originally Posted by Akara1
I have a couple of videos, anybody know how to post them? I tried twice, but kept getting txt files.
what is your video format?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:46 AM

Sold
The footage from the phone is .3gp, but I also tried converting it to a .mp4 file. I was going to try a .mov, but 6 megs is a bit much for a 20 second video.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Almost a Member!

M3

--David

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Dont worry. there is already 2 companys who make the euro launch control for M3 and one that bumps it up to 3800 rpm. They claim to increase shifting on s4-s6 mode. Its only a matter of time when they will release it for your e60 m5.