Sponsored by:

Resonator Question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Flint Grey E55
Resonator Question.

What does the resonator do and what is a straight through?
I'm noobie but really curious because i saw a car today and sounded really nice, and he said he took out his resonator and did a striaght through. But he also had a reallly nice exhaust. If i were to take it out would it void my warranty?

Thank You
Old 03-03-2006, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
All it does it make the car quieter (a pre-muffler muffler). Taking it out will not give you any performance benefit or void your warranty, it will simply save a few pounds and make your exhaust note louder. Any muffler shop can do it for $50.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:06 AM

2005 Flint Grey E55
I see. Will it make a much more noticeable sound after i take it off and replace it with a straight through? And IT WILL NOT VOID MY WARRANTY right?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

At first you will be quite disappointed with the sound difference. Especially if you are going into it expecting your car to come out sounding like a monster truck. I, for one, did. However, I think in the end it was reallllly worth it. At higher RPM's it makes the car sound more like an SL, CL, or S 55 because it gives it that beefier tone. It also seems to get a little deeper over time - it did for me at least. I say go for it, its a nice little mod and it really does make a difference in the long run. Unless you're considering an exhaust system which would be
Old 03-03-2006, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
I am going to do this as well and also thinking of removing my CATS...or at least one set of CATs...Been told that 1st set after headers and most resistent one...
Old 03-03-2006, 08:45 AM

'10 E63 AMG
I took my resonators AND mufflers off, and replaced them with one straight-through MagnaFlow per side. It sounded great in the shop, but by the time I had driven home (about 20 miles) I realized it was too loud for my tastes (the drone inside the cabin, especially at low RPM, gave me a headache). So, I went back and had a second Magnaflow put in on each side - that was perfect! Deep, throaty sound, not too loud while cruising but real muscular when punched. Make sure your welder knows what he is doing because if you take off the OEM mufflers, you want to make sure that the AMG exhaust tips come out the rear exactly as before. My guy put a small bead weld between the tips before cutting them off the muffler so as to maintain the pre-cut positions relative to each other. Good luck - I think it is a nice mod! Here's a picture of my MagnaFlows:
Attached Thumbnails Resonator Question.-p6190025.jpg  

Last edited by oblax4; 03-03-2006 at 02:57 PM.