E63 or CTS Super V?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
E63 or CTS Super V?????

Almost as soon as MB releases the E63 GM will be releasing the CTS Super V powered by the Z06's LS7. I think we may have some performance competetion!!!!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLK 500 / 07 Honda Ridgeline
Unless GM fixes the rear diff.....there won't be much competition...
Old 03-29-2006, 09:55 PM

Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Aston Martin, Chevrolet
E63 all the way, better performance and higher luxury.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Almost a Member!

05'Maybach 57,06'R 500,04'Range RoverHSE,06'cls55
I used to have a CTS-V and it was already scary fast so I dont know
Old 03-29-2006, 10:09 PM
Almost a Member!

the new super-v has a 710 horsepower turbo engin in it. No one will beat that not even a E63, sorry. Gotta buy one
Old 03-29-2006, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever there's gas in...
These other makes are getting out of hand with horsepower and bang for the buck..I think Germany may need to step it up and put 1200hp BiTurbos in these Benzes!
Old 03-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Almost a Member!

hellsyea!!!!!
Old 03-29-2006, 10:41 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
I've seen no reliable info that shows that Cadillac will use the LS7 in anything but the 'Vette. The CTS-V has an awful time dealing with the 400 horses it already has. Broken diffs are the rule rather than the exception for people who launch them hard.

No question some of the elements are there: superb chasis, ideal ride quality/handling trade off, killer brakes, but nowhere near ready to challenge the E55 in stock form. GM needs to improve MANY systems in that car till it is ready for prime time. I loved mine, but it just is nowhere near the quality piece the E is.

Skeeter
Old 03-29-2006, 11:39 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
the sad truth is that no domestic car will ever be equal to the germans. There might be one or two that perform better in one area but as a complete package the german stuff is the best.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:56 PM
ON PROBATION

If the question is ownership, E63 - no contest.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/...-go-high-tech/

That is the link to info on the CTS Super V. Some of you have a had time understanding what my question was. Please read the original post. I said PERFORMANCE competition. I did not say anything about all around or luxury. If you click on that link and scroll down it looks like it will be taking a page or two out of the Z06 book and they may even throw in the same differential as the Z06. That would make the most sense to me. In case some of you did not know but the CTS is kicking some butt in the SCCA world of auto racing. It's always smart to keep up on your competition.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:59 AM

06 CLK 500 / 07 Honda Ridgeline
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/...-go-high-tech/

That is the link to info on the CTS Super V. Some of you have a had time understanding what my question was. Please read the original post. I said PERFORMANCE competition. I did not say anything about all around or luxury. If you click on that link and scroll down it looks like it will be taking a page or two out of the Z06 book and they may even throw in the same differential as the Z06. That would make the most sense to me. In case some of you did not know but the CTS is kicking some butt in the SCCA world of auto racing. It's always smart to keep up on your competition.
From a PERFORMANCE view it should be equal"ish" in straight line acceleration. Traps will run about the same as the 6.3 "should" run. The real trouble with both these cars is getting the power to the road without spin and in the CTS-V's case MASSIVE WHEEL HOP

The CTS-V is a GREAT handling car...better than the current E55 on a road course. YET, the ride quality is FAR BELOW the current E55. I suspect the Super V will follow along in the same lines as the current "V" just with more horses.

If you were going to have a "toy" then the SUPER V will be a Z06 that can hold a childs seat....BUT, I wouldn't want one as a daily driver...PERIOD.

Also, I don't care if it runs 145 traps and 8 second 1/4 miles if it "DON'T WORK" because it's "BROKE" then it's really meaningless what it "can do". GM has MAJOR ISSUES with the CTV-S for people who drive it "sprited". Until they PROVE that the Super-V will be reliable, then I would stear clear.

I like the CTS-V and almost bought one....but the rear diff issues scared me away. WAY to many people complained about this on the Cadillac Boards.

on a side note: The interior on the CTS is marginal at best imho. BUT THE CAR is HELLA fast to drive and handles better than you could imagine. I suggest people test drive one and see.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rster
the new super-v has a 710 horsepower turbo engin in it. No one will beat that not even a E63, sorry. Gotta buy one

this is news to me...

it will have the same engine as the Z06. 500+hp

it will come down to the driver... since both car weigh about the same and will have similar hp to weight ratios.

The 7sp AMG auto vs 6 manual...3 pedal box

I take the 7spd all day long.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Almost a Member!

It is one of the many engine options of this car
Old 03-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Almost a Member!

"range of upgrades, including 6.1-liter and 7.0-liter V8 setups (515 and 580 hp, respectively) with billet cranks, rods and forged pistons. Still not enough? Building on those engines, Mallett adds turbos that push output to 615 hp for the 6.1-liter engine and up to 750 hp for the 7.0-liter" SRTforums.com

SEE I told ya
Old 03-30-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by S2000
From a PERFORMANCE view it should be equal"ish" in straight line acceleration. Traps will run about the same as the 6.3 "should" run. The real trouble with both these cars is getting the power to the road without spin and in the CTS-V's case MASSIVE WHEEL HOP

Also, I don't care if it runs 145 traps and 8 second 1/4 miles if it "DON'T WORK" because it's "BROKE" then it's really meaningless what it "can do". GM has MAJOR ISSUES with the CTV-S for people who drive it "sprited". Until they PROVE that the Super-V will be reliable, then I would stear clear.

I like the CTS-V and almost bought one....but the rear diff issues scared me away. WAY to many people complained about this on the Cadillac Boards.

on a side note: The interior on the CTS is marginal at best imho. BUT THE CAR is HELLA fast to drive and handles better than you could imagine. I suggest people test drive one and see.
As a CTS-V owner, I feel compelled to add a few thoughts.

The rear-differential for the '04 and '05 models is definitely a concern. The latest survey on the Cadillac boards showed that ~23% had their differentials replaced (either whine or failure) at least 1 time. Since many of you, myself included, just have to have more HP, of course that will increase the rate of failure, but it isn't like it's a guarantee that the rear differential will explode either. I believe, at the end of the day, that the people who were suffering from the differential problems were also the most vocal about it, leading people to believe that differential were exploding all over the place. Reality is that only 18 times (out of 259 responses) did a differential truly fail (~7%). While it's inexcusable in my opinion that GM even installed such a pathetic differential, it isn't like it's failing constantly either. (Paradoxically, I DO consider my differential a ticking time-bomb, but then again I'm running substantially more HP/TQ than was originally designed).

The '06 differentials, however, are substantially stronger. I'm aware of only a SINGLE instance of a member on the Caddy boards where his differential has failed, and even then I believe it to be only whine-related. That makes me feel a lot better.

Lastly, when it comes to CTS-V differentials, we have 2 companies (the "leader" at the moment is located in Australia) is building near indestructible rear-differentials for these cars. Based on the preliminary shots I have seen, I can assure you that other parts of the driveline will go WAY BEFORE the differential would ever think about failing.

The wheel-hop can also be substantially eliminated via the purchase of an aftermarket kit (Kar Stage III kit) for about $400-500. I ran into a few minor hiccups trying to install it this past week, but it will be installed very soon. Such kit is believed to eliminate way over 90% of all wheel-hop.

As far as the interior, it more than pleases me, but, then again, I'm so focused on performance, I would be willing to sacrafice a lot in terms of comfort.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"range of upgrades, including 6.1-liter and 7.0-liter V8 setups (515 and 580 hp, respectively) with billet cranks, rods and forged pistons. Still not enough? Building on those engines, Mallett adds turbos that push output to 615 hp for the 6.1-liter engine and up to 750 hp for the 7.0-liter" SRTforums.com

SEE I told ya
obviously you are talking about mods... not stock

I think we are not talking aftermarket potential.. we are talking factory E63 vs the new CTS Super V. Without any mods, who will be faster.

both will have mod potential.

63 engine will be available with turbos as well for the S, SL, CL.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Almost a Member!

that is what is available for the new V straight from the factory
Old 03-30-2006, 08:24 PM

Still not buying it...

I read the article, it does NOT say that this car will EVER be built. Rumors, yes. Certainty, no.

This is a fantasy car. They are having a hard time moving the CTS-V as it is. Putting a motor of this magnitude will require SERIOUS reworking of existing problems and limitations. There is no money in this. Let's wait until GM builds a solid car to start from and THEN hope they drop in the LS7. But don't hold your breath for an '07 CTS-V with this mill in it, it won't happen.

Give this one a rest.

Skeeter
Old 03-30-2006, 08:28 PM

And I'm with Luna. I had no problem with the Caddilac interior. None at all. The seats are top-notch. I loved the texture and density of the dash. The door panels are good. Angles all nice and modern. I think it is cited as a problem far too often. Not a bad interior. I'd be FINE with the car as is with a more solid foundation mechanicall and the Z06 motor. Esthetics aren't the holdup for me, I'd buy it in a heart-beat if they could address the scary wheel hop, differential, and shifter. But dont' hold your breath.

Skeeter
Old 03-30-2006, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the aftermarket factory... not Cadillac.

These parts will void all the warranty of the engine.

we are talking production engines with production warranties...

besides... its all speculation. 100% there is a CLS63 and E63...

%50 if that... GM will build this car. It might be a test mule that will never make it.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:21 PM

07 S65
What are you smoking? First, you don't even know if they are building this car, Second, if you think they will put more power in a Caddy than their prized flagship sports car, you're dumber than I thought.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by Skeeter
And I'm with Luna. I had no problem with the Caddilac interior. None at all. The seats are top-notch. I loved the texture and density of the dash. The door panels are good. Angles all nice and modern. I think it is cited as a problem far too often. Not a bad interior. I'd be FINE with the car as is with a more solid foundation mechanicall and the Z06 motor. Esthetics aren't the holdup for me, I'd buy it in a heart-beat if they could address the scary wheel hop, differential, and shifter. But dont' hold your breath.

Skeeter
i'm betting at night when the lines of the dash, etc. aren't as visible (but the lights/gauges are), the interior is even less objectionable. the seats are firm and supportive, if a little on the dull side appearance-wise. so what. personally, i'm one of these stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic guys who likes to go out to amboy CA to do the serious pedal to the metal stuff when i get a chance, so i was hoping cadillac would drop a decent autobox into the CTS-V... lowered the way the original artists probably intended it to be, the CTS exterioros one of the "purest" design executions i've seen in modern times; witness the upward rake of the top of the bumper on the side of the car and how it leads into the side's character line, etc. when you compare it to the same part of the STS, which was tweaked after lutz came aboard, you begin to see the degree to which the CTS team was allowed to realize their vision in the final product. that's a pretty rare thing in the auto industry, and like it or not, the CTS will probably become a true classic of this era long after "better" cars are forgotten.

then again, i could be wrong! still, a performance/sport autobox would've been nice.

v
Old 03-31-2006, 10:37 PM

'11 CTS V Coupe 6MT
Originally Posted by DJe55
What are you smoking? First, you don't even know if they are building this car, Second, if you think they will put more power in a Caddy than their prized flagship sports car, you're dumber than I thought.

Just got this weeks Autoweek, new V8 M3 and ...tah-dah the CTS SV.

It does use the LS7 engine, rear diff is now based on the GTO/Holden design which is pretty much bullet proof and virtually no hippety-hop.
Personally the SV looks like a really bad "DTM" kit, but will probably go like shiate!
E 63 will always be in a class by themselves, my $.02
Torxila
Old 04-01-2006, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
I still don't believe it will hit production, but here are the spy pics from Autoweek...

I can't believe that GM, even though they are the Kings of tacky plastic add ons, would release a sedan with such horrendous fender flares.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 or CTS Super V?????