Comfortability of 19's or 20's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Originally Posted by C32 MIA
there is no question that having a larger sidewall produces a softer ride. take your truck and put some 25 or 30 profile tires on it, it will ride like even worse than you speak of now. that's a fact. suspension is the #1 issue, then coupled with that of the low profile tires. i have had rims and lowering on every car i have owned. my C32 slightly lowered rode stiff, then when i put my new wheels on it it rode stiffer to the point of being harsh over any bumps. remember only two things absorb the shock on the road- one is your tires! it's not just the suspension!!
Answer this, then. Which car rides better? Your C32, on what I assume are 19 and would be a plus-2 fitment on stiffer coil springs, or your E55 on airmatic which would also be a plus-2 with 20s?
The point I'm trying to make is the airmatic system makes a HUGE difference compared to coil springs.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M6
Originally Posted by medici78
The point I'm trying to make is the airmatic system makes a HUGE difference compared to coil springs.

that is what i said in my prior posts, the suspension makes a majority chunk of the the difference, but low profile tires and a 2" increase in wheel size can does produce a harder ride. no doubt the suspension works harder to deliver a nice smooth ride with the low profile tires. the damping action of the rubber tires is almost absent on tires like mine. if you put 20in tires with a 50 profile instead of a 30 or 25 you will feel a much softer ride. to me this is a sports car, not a Caddillac, so I welcome a more agressive stance and a better feel of the road. there is almost no feedback through the steering wheel on the stock rubber, that changes when you switch to low profile 20's or even 19's. it's nice knowing what the road actually feels like.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
I would stick with OEM sizes...19 or 20...

P.S. I am know deciding for rears wither to go 275/35 or 285