Sponsored by:

Speed enforcement for public safety

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 Black
Speed enforcement for public safety

This last Saturday, just before noon, I was driving West on the I-520 freeway, approaching the I-405 in Bellevue, Washington. This is an interchange between two major freeways, and both carry a lot of traffic. The I-520 has 3 lanes heading West, and the speed limit is 60, but traffic generally flows closer to 70. I would guess a hundred cars a minute pass any one point on this road during the day. I have driven this piece of road thousands of times, and can’t recall ever seeing an accident or even the remnants of one there.

It was this section of road that the Washington State Troopers decided was a good place to set up a radar trap to catch some speeders. As I headed down the road, I happened to spot a State Trooper, out of his car. He appeared to be kneeling, as just his head and radar gun were above the concrete D-Barrier between the far right lane and an on-ramp. He was also holding a radio mic, and was, I presume, relaying information to the patrol cars I subsequently saw further down the road, one of which had already nabbed a Subaru.

Now, I don’t know what it is about people that cause them to overreact when they suddenly see a cop, but I’ll confess I have caught myself doing it as well, even when I’m not exceeding the speed limit. It’s a normal human defensive reaction I suppose. But some drivers would suddenly see the well hidden cop, panic, and slam on the brakes. Cars were suddenly dropping from 70 to 50. Other cars were oblivious, and would speed up to pass the suddenly slow car that had no obvious reason to slow down. The scene was a dizzying array of brake lights and abrupt lane changes. I managed to get through that gauntlet with no scrapes, bumps, or tickets.

I decided to call my wife, whom I knew was about 25 minutes behind me on the same road, to warn here of the heavy enforcement.

It was just about those 25 minutes later my wife called. She said there had been an accident, exactly at the point I had warned her about. There was an ambulance and a fire rescue vehicle on the scene. It was the first accident she had ever seen there.

I can make a prediction: the accident will be held up as proof that we need lower speed limits and stricter traffic enforcement, in the interests of public safety.

Last edited by KenE55; 04-24-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
You're probably right, although it isn't speeding that's dangerous. I don't condone speeding, but it has been proven that speed differential is what's dangerous, and the idiot causing that differential with the radar gun is to blame.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:29 PM

'04 E55 Brilliant Silver / Charcoal
Where was he? Sounds like he was at the 124th on/off ramp? Which is a really silly (and I'd agree dangerous) place to be. Also there's that radar sign on the hill. If he wasn't using laser (I'd be really surprised if he wasn't, WSP revenue enhancment is overfunded) then the ticket is pretty much invalid from multiple sources.

There ought to be a way to hold these guys accountable for setting up in a dangerous place.

edit: waitasec. I just re-read your post, he wasn't at the split to 405 north was he?!?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:52 PM

2006 E55 Black
When I say "radar" I mean some kind of speed measuring gun, I don't know if it was radar or laser.

The officer was hiding on the I-520 West on ramp at 148th, all the way down a few yards from the end of the concrete barrier. This is about 2 miles prior to the I-405 split.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:59 PM

'04 E55 Brilliant Silver / Charcoal
Oh, ok. There's no interference there. It is, though, a much better place for them to be setting up than near 124th / 405. There's not nearly as much change going on there, just the inbound from 148th.

They seem to have gotten a new tactic, they were hiding kneeling behind the barrier in bellingham on I-5 N too.

Now, I believe, (IANAL) in WA state, you can require the operator of the speed measuring device to sign BEFORE you accept the ticket (by signing it) so they have to make the officer who lasered you come to you. (Anyone know the details of this). Which can be a nuisance for them.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You don't have the aero-flight package on your W211?
You should get it. Helps easily to get around (above) traffic.