W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Notes on the engine/shifting algorithms...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Notes on the engine/shifting algorithms...

So I finally had a chance to run the car through all the gears all the way to redline. I experimented with the C/S/M modes, and noticed quite a bit of difference between the 3 modes.

C) Very gentle starts, better traction off the line, and (I could be imagining this part), I think the exhaust is quieter. Maybe the canister is closed or something? I think the car's computer is bit slower in this mode too, because when doing rolling starts from stoplights I've had the car almost bog. But then it overcompensates for this by swapping 2 gears down, and the next thing you know you've got whiplash.

S) First gear starts, the engine holds rpms to redline, but upshifts for you. I'm not sure if I like this mode, because I've noticed on several runs under WOT when I click for upshift, the car refuses to shift! Going from 3rd near redline to 4th is near impossible, and sometimes the car just skips 4th and goes to 5th! The car is definitely louder in this mode (again, maybe the exhaust system is more open in this mode, but not sure).

M) I think this is my favourite mode out of the 3. Very good response to throttle command, up/downshifts are pretty good, but there is a bit of lag. The shifts feel like they're being rammed in, and I get some clunking at shifts under WOT. And the car sounds very different in this mode. The supercharger whine is very audible, and the induction roar is louder too. Very aggressive.

All in all a very fun engine. I only wish it would rev-match on downshifts. It makes it hard to drive smoothly on the twisties. Now if I could only figure out where all these random beeping and squeaking noises are coming from, I'll be happy!
Old 04-25-2006, 04:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Random beeping and squeeking ? - I got some squeaks of my own ...

Rear TV mounting is rubbish - squeaks alot when cold. Lighting cluster by sunroof controls - dronning vibration noise from there - something definately loose up there inside... and finally sounds like a sticky aircon internal flap that just well squeaks when it opens closes... this seems to have improved lately.

What noises do you have ?

Rgds Steve