Sponsored by:

Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 12:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63S
Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here

After more than my fair share of research and dealer shopping, I finllay took the plunge and picked up my new 2006 E55, and what a car! I think I found a diamond in the rough: a Graphite Designo package, with lighting, premium, parktronic, keyless go, trunk closer and Sirius (ok, not Pano...it didn't come that way), purchased from a dealer about 8 hours from Boston at a price that was just too good to be true.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO THE MANY MEMBERS OF THESE BOARDS WHO ANSWERED QUESTIONS AND PROVIDED SO MUCH PERSPECTIVE AND DIRECTION!

In the "end" (which turned out to be this Wednesday, in order to get the car by the end of this month, which turned out to be today), I basically had a choice of the Graphite Designo package without Pano, or a loaded silver car (same other options as above) with Pano. I decided the truly distinctive look and feel of the Designo Package far outweighs the minor advantage/appeal of Pano, which is after all, a rear moonroof that doesn't even open.

Picked her up today, and 400 miles later, she's resting comfortably in my garage!

Already got two "nice car" salutes on the ride home.

The car drives beautifully...so powerful and smooth. I didn't notice ANY virbrations or shimmies (and, boy, was I looking for them, expecting to make a case to swap out the Contis for the Michelin's)...supposedly this car had only been in the U.S. for about 2 weeks, so I guess it hadn't been sitting long enough to develop dead spots.

I had lots of fun playing with the seats and toggling between Sirius stations while cruising from state to state. About the only thing that's a minor disappointment are the ventilated seats, which didn't seem to ventilate to any palpable degree -- although the delivery salesman swore he felt a cool breeze coming through the passenger seat just fine.

Anyway, I'll try and post somke close up pics tomorrow in an attempt to capture and display the quality and difference of the Designo components, although I am concerned that pics just don't/won't do it justice. In the interim, here are some pics which were sent to me by the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here-front1.jpg   Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here-grill.jpg   Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here-rear.jpg   Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here-seat.jpg   Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here-nav.jpg  

Last edited by SoxFan; 04-29-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00 E55 AMG
As we say in CA: Ve...nice
Old 04-29-2006, 01:02 AM

2011 S550
http://www.sirius.com
Old 04-29-2006, 01:03 AM

E63S
Tanks...

I will say I am blown away at the sublime power of this engine vs. the much rougher and not as fast (100 fewer horses) power and feel of my 2002 CLK55 convertible (or should I say, the used car dealer's CLK55).
Old 04-29-2006, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Nice, looking great, another new beast in Beantown.

I've seen a Flint Gray beast at the corner of Comm Ave and Exeter, and I don't think the graphite color looks anything like it.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:19 AM

E63S
Here are some additional interior pics.

That little blue light you see on the inside left is the flush mounted K40 Calibre Radar/Laser Detector warning light (this is the only thing you see -- it's the smallest, least invasive device I've ever seen).

Also, the only outward markings of the Designo package are the chrome logo plates on the front floor mats.
Attached Thumbnails Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here-inside-front.jpg   Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here-inside-side.jpg   Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here-seat.jpg   Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here-mats.jpg   Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here-calibre-dash.jpg  

Old 05-02-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Mercedes S550
Thumbs up

Congratulations on your new car. The color is very rich. How much off MSRP did you get? I am looking at a 2006 E55 too.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
congrats on your gorgeous new car! i hope it provides years of enjoyment.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
nice ride, u should come to one of the boston meets.

Is that herb gordon in MD?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
Your car!

That is down right gorgeous. I am no doubt fond of the exterior. The interior and the contrast are drop dead beautiful.

Enjoy!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
i wish it had the porcelain interior.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:05 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by Kar don

How did you know about HG?

Will definitely go to the meets...when are they and how do you find out about them?

Last edited by SoxFan; 05-03-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:11 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by Ormond2004
Congratulations on your new car. The color is very rich. How much off MSRP did you get? I am looking at a 2006 E55 too.
Thanks...I am sworn to secrecy on the price, but it was a very good deal...I suspect partly because the Designo Package is priced so high...plus the fact that it was the end of the month, and the promotional leasing program was expiring (making the car even less affordable/saleable)...so all things came together to translate into a good deal.

I do think I have my finger on the pulse of some other "good deals", and would be happy to share my research/pricing with people looking for cars from the East Coast to the Midwest, if anyone wants to email me.

Last edited by SoxFan; 05-03-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 SL600

Meets? What meets? Do tell...
Old 05-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Nice choice!! Welcome to the fold...
Old 05-03-2006, 06:31 PM

i like to ride my bike
Very nice car Gotta love that color combo
Old 05-04-2006, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by SoxFan
Thanks...I am sworn to secrecy on the price, but it was a very good deal...I suspect partly because the Designo Package is priced so high...plus the fact that it was the end of the month, and the promotional leasing program was expiring (making the car even less affordable/saleable)...so all things came together to translate into a good deal.

I do think I have my finger on the pulse of some other "good deals", and would be happy to share my research/pricing with people looking for cars from the East Coast to the Midwest, if anyone wants to email me.
The maryland market is pretty high volume/competitve. My question is how did you work out the plates with MA? Did you drive home on MA plates?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:21 PM

'06 SL600
The plates are pretty easy really. In my case, I had the car flatbedded (is that a verb?) from NJ, but the dealer and my insurance agent swapped info and my insurance agent had a runner head over to the Mass DMV to get plates. I had the plates in hand before the car even got here.

So, I was able to drive it as soon as it arrived at my house. On the flip side, I could have taken a train down with those same plates and just slapped them on the car to drive it home.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:06 AM

E63S
The maryland market is pretty high volume/competitve. My question is how did you work out the plates with MA? Did you drive home on MA plates?
This one turns out to be quite a story, especially for a leased vehicle being registered in the name of another party (if it was a purchased vehicle I could use the plates off my old car).

The short answer is that the dealer let me borrow his dealer plates, so I was able to drive. I picked up the car on Friday (one week ago).

They were supposed to FedEx the paperwork for me to register the car on Monday, but the paperwork that came up was incorrect and inadequate, so they had to redo it, and it is coming today, at which point I will stop by my local insurance company to stamp the RMV-1 application and then got to the registry in Watertown to get the official MA registration completed.

It turns out that MA is particularly weird/**** about how to do this: most states would allow you to drive on temp plates.

So, here is the process:

1. You need your insurance agent to FedEx the RMV-1 form to the dealer for them to sign (this is the registration application, which is in triplicate, and therefore can't be faxed).

2. You need the RMV-1 plus the Certificate of Origin (looks like a title) to bring to the Registry to get plates.

If you want to do this remotely so you can drive home with the car/plates, it's basically a 3 day process. If you say "GO" today, here's the fastest timetable (ignoring same day courier):

A) Day One: You need to get a hard copy of the lease FedEx'd to you to send back to them;

B) Day Two: Lease arrives. Execute the lease and FedEx it back to the dealer together with the RMV-1 form for them to sign;

C) Day Three: The lease becomes "effective"; they then FedEx the executed RMV-1 form back to you (or your insurance agent), together with the RMV-1 form. Your agent then stamps the RMV-1 form and you or your agent go to the Registry and get plates. You can them fly or drive to your car that day and put those plates on the car and drive home. Alternatively, at Day Three, they can ship your car to you, and you can hold onto the plates and put them on when your car arrives, which is what Metalica did.

In my case, I made the decision to purchase on Wed and wanted to pick up the car on Friday, so the dealer made an exception an agreed to lend me their plates. Since then, there have been a series of bumbles and hiccups, but I have been able to enjoy the car in the interim.

I also have a small twist, which is that I wanted to use my old plates on my new leased car, so this requires a letter from me (my company, which is me), to the Registry authorizing the assignment/transfer of the plates from me to the leasing company. If I want the plates back, I need to get the leasing company to do the same at the end of the lease.

So, now I am basically an expert in MA lease registrations for out-of-state acquired vehicles, which is quite an oddity, because everyone else, including my agent, were either clueless or just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous.

Last edited by SoxFan; 05-05-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:27 AM

'06 SL600
Nice detail. The only piece of that that I didn't have to go through was sedning the dealer the RMV-1. They had one there from online, so when they sent their paperwork up (the second time, after I'd fed ex'd back a signed lease), they were able to include the RMV-1 that they had already filled out. For a $15 runner fee, my insurance agent did all the work and the only thing I did was sign the lease when it was sent up to me.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:28 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by metalica_23
Nice detail. The only piece of that that I didn't have to go through was sedning the dealer the RMV-1. They had one there from online, so when they sent their paperwork up (the second time, after I'd fed ex'd back a signed lease), they were able to include the RMV-1 that they had already filled out. For a $15 runner fee, my insurance agent did all the work and the only thing I did was sign the lease when it was sent up to me.
Neither my insurance agent nor the dealer knew about the online RMV-1 availability, but it wouldn't have changed anything, because they had problems getting to COI correct. Anyway, I am now offically regsitered in MA and have my old plates back on!
Old 05-07-2006, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by SoxFan
This one turns out to be quite a story, especially for a leased vehicle being registered in the name of another party (if it was a purchased vehicle I could use the plates off my old car).

The short answer is that the dealer let me borrow his dealer plates, so I was able to drive. I picked up the car on Friday (one week ago).

They were supposed to FedEx the paperwork for me to register the car on Monday, but the paperwork that came up was incorrect and inadequate, so they had to redo it, and it is coming today, at which point I will stop by my local insurance company to stamp the RMV-1 application and then got to the registry in Watertown to get the official MA registration completed.

It turns out that MA is particularly weird/**** about how to do this: most states would allow you to drive on temp plates.

So, here is the process:

1. You need your insurance agent to FedEx the RMV-1 form to the dealer for them to sign (this is the registration application, which is in triplicate, and therefore can't be faxed).

2. You need the RMV-1 plus the Certificate of Origin (looks like a title) to bring to the Registry to get plates.

If you want to do this remotely so you can drive home with the car/plates, it's basically a 3 day process. If you say "GO" today, here's the fastest timetable (ignoring same day courier):

A) Day One: You need to get a hard copy of the lease FedEx'd to you to send back to them;

B) Day Two: Lease arrives. Execute the lease and FedEx it back to the dealer together with the RMV-1 form for them to sign;

C) Day Three: The lease becomes "effective"; they then FedEx the executed RMV-1 form back to you (or your insurance agent), together with the RMV-1 form. Your agent then stamps the RMV-1 form and you or your agent go to the Registry and get plates. You can them fly or drive to your car that day and put those plates on the car and drive home. Alternatively, at Day Three, they can ship your car to you, and you can hold onto the plates and put them on when your car arrives, which is what Metalica did.

In my case, I made the decision to purchase on Wed and wanted to pick up the car on Friday, so the dealer made an exception an agreed to lend me their plates. Since then, there have been a series of bumbles and hiccups, but I have been able to enjoy the car in the interim.

I also have a small twist, which is that I wanted to use my old plates on my new leased car, so this requires a letter from me (my company, which is me), to the Registry authorizing the assignment/transfer of the plates from me to the leasing company. If I want the plates back, I need to get the leasing company to do the same at the end of the lease.

So, now I am basically an expert in MA lease registrations for out-of-state acquired vehicles, which is quite an oddity, because everyone else, including my agent, were either clueless or just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous.
thanks for the post, I got my car in CT and boy what a pain that was. I figured the dealer lent u the plates, that is very generous of them... most would say forget it.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:31 PM

E63S
Took a couple of pics today, when I was out taking pics of the rear window shades. Unfortunately, it was a gray/rainy day, so the prics don't do it justice, especially in terms of showing the depth of the specs/flecks in the graphite paint which makes it so special, but it's better than the earlier pcis on the dealer's lot.

I will try and take/show some better ones, when I get a chance on a sunny day.
Attached Thumbnails Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here-shades-006.jpg   Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here-shades-007.jpg  
Old 06-04-2006, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Congrats!

I like that color combo.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E55
Bring it to Chicago and let me get some Zainos on it for ya

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Took the Plunge...My Graphite Designo is Here