W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage on a new AMG: how much is too much?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 04:18 PM
JLP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E-55-95-F355S- 99 Porsche 911 C2 w mods
Wow you passed on a suitable car because of 85 miles??? Just curious, what kind of SLK55 are you looking for? Colors-Options etc....
Old 05-02-2006, 04:54 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondKomp
Everyone, thanks very much for your responses. The 85mi was just kind of nagging at me, and I want to be totally happy with the car without reservation, so I decided to pass, and continue the search for a car with fewer miles.
Good luck with your search, I'm sure you find a brand spanking new one with +/-12 miles.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:57 PM

2005 Diamond Black C230K, 2007 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by JLP
Wow you passed on a suitable car because of 85 miles??? Just curious, what kind of SLK55 are you looking for? Colors-Options etc....
Yeah. Well, I just didn't like the idea that a whole bunch of people had touched and done who-knows-what with the car in those 85mi. I don't want to get into a situation where 6 months down the road, let's say I have a transmission problem, I know it's under warranty, but I don't want to be sitting there wondering if something happened in that 85mi and I could have avoided the trouble. Also, the car is not local, so I cannot visually inspect it before committing at least $1000 deposit to it. The more test drive miles on it, the more likely it may have some minor cosmetic defects which would bug the hell out of me.

The SLK55 I'm looking for is nothing special. Silver, with the normal options, there's not that many options to choose from for the SLK. Silver doesn't strike me as a rare color. Finding a car with 25mi or so (or less even) would just give me a little more peace of mind. I don't need the car *right now*, so I can wait a bit.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:58 PM

2005 Diamond Black C230K, 2007 Iridium Silver SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by RJC
Good luck with your search, I'm sure you find a brand spanking new one with +/-12 miles.
Thanks. Worst case, I can try to find a build slot and wait 6-8 weeks.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by DiamondKomp
Thanks. Worst case, I can try to find a build slot and wait 6-8 weeks.
if you're having one built for you, wouldn't you lose any chance of cutting a good deal on the car? i always thought the better deals (or pretty much any deal for that matter) were to be had from dealer (or regional) inventory?

for the record, my wagon arrived from a different dealer's stock to my guys with 76 miles on it. i was a little annoyed/let down/dreadful about it, but my worries have proven baseless. i was pretty much stuck where i was b/c of the deal i worked out on the car, and the fact that it was the only remaining black wagon with those options in the US. choosing between it @ 76 mi. and a lesser-optioned car with 33 miles was a no-brainer. around LA, the 40 miles' difference is the drive home from the dealer!