W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Just over 200 miles under my belt with...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2006 | 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Just over 200 miles under my belt with...

new set of tires.

BFGoodrich T/A KDW-2 (245/40/18)
BFGoodrich T/A Drag Radials (Version 1) (275/35/18)

My initial reaction is positive. I am still in the break in period for the tires, but my seat of the pants feeling is that the car seems more sure footed. Taking an off ramp at speeds similar to the stock conti's, I felt more planted and hitting the accelerator out of the dig at moderate acceleration seems more immediate.

It may be I'm just enamored with my purchase (Thanks TireRack...great price and 1 day turnaround on delivery...no beating that), but the subjective side of me sees this as a definate step up from the Conti's.

I'm surprised by the ride, too. The car feels much smoother, but that may change when the tread starts wearing (then again the tires may get stickier too... ). I figure the drags will last 8-9k miles of moderate driving, but the price of the tires were relatively inexpensive so I'm not sweating it.

A nice side note to the purchase...every one that has noticed the tire setup really love the tread design (front and back).

A bad side note to the purchase...I checked around to see who would install the tires and I definately got a mixed bag. Kaufman Tires wouldn't even touch the install since I didn't get the tires from them. Tire Kingdom wanted to charge me frigging $40 a TIRE...so I hung up on them. Pep Boys did me right and I left there spending only $47 and some change (it just took them 1 and 1/2 hours to put them on).

I'll keep you guys posted after a couple of thousand miles...Thanks to Luke @ TireRack and I recommend you guys use them for your next tire purchase.

Peace.
Old 05-06-2006 | 04:35 PM

E63S
Congrats. I think I'll get my next tires over the iternet and find a station to put them on.

Why did you get these over the Michelin's?

-BITB
Old 05-06-2006 | 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by SoxFan
Congrats. I think I'll get my next tires over the iternet and find a station to put them on.

Why did you get these over the Michelin's?

-BITB
Actually, TireRack have preferred installers on their website based on zipcode, but I was too lazy to do that...

I really wanted to try out drag radials and I don't believe Michelin make any. I had heard good things about the BFGoodrich KDW-2 and their drag radials. They were also a good compromise in price and performance.

The Michelins are great tires and they still might be an option later on...we will see.