E55 hype tested at the AMG Challenge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
E55 hype tested at the AMG Challenge

Hehe. This was my first AMG challenge (Fontana), so I have no clue what to have expected....but....it was a BLAST!!

There was sooo much opportunity to push the AMG cars to their limits and to try out the different AMGs on the same module. The AMG hosts and event were 1st class all the way!!

The instructors also get lots of props for making sure that each participant had a special time.

My highlights: (note I am simply giving my opinion and do not mean to insult anyone)

Autocross: Very similar to SCCA SOLO II. It was a parking lot sized pile on lined course. We drove C55s and SLK55s on it. I had never driven either, but I found the SLK MUCH better fit for the course. I have no clue about their relative wheelbase / weight, etc., but the SLK felt more responsive and recovered much faster on some push. The C55 felt very sloppy to me. Lots of leaning, making the ESP kick in much sooner than the SLK.

Road Course: We drove CLK55(cabrio), E55, CLS55 (I think), and SL55.
The CLK was WAY too slow as compared to the Kompressors, plus I hate cabrios. The E55 was awesome, but I could feel the weight and I had to watch the rear end (torque). I don't rememeber anything about the CLS55 in these events. The SL55 gets PROPS. I loved it. I may have been more comfortable in it than my E55. Is that normal?

California Super Speedway: We drove E55, CLS55, CLS55 030, SL55. We got 2 laps per run and instructors in about half the cars. WOW, what an experience in any car!! The banked turns change everything that I am used to. AMG gets a big thumbs up for pulling this off! It was a blast driving an AMG at these speeds! I started in the E55. Solid and what I am used to. The banked turns really increase the grip and allow you to put the power down pretty well. That was the thrilling part. Hitting an apex just right and being at the bottom of the track and just powering out of the turns and climbing up that wall!! I got 3 runs in an E55 with an instructor (6 laps). Then I got 1 run in the CLS55, which felt similar to the E, but maybe a little less stable at speed? Next, I got 2 runs in the CLS55 030 and there is a major difference. I was also geting used to the speed and track and gaining confidence, but I definitely had my fastest speed (just over 145mph!!) with that car. I was also very comfortable in that car. No lift or bounce at speed. Very stable, and tight steering feel. I am not a CLS fan, but it was nice. Last, I drove the SL55. There was a bit of traffic, so I did not have open road. Overall, it felt like it had as much potential as the CLS w/030 if not more. VERY solid steering and did not feel very front heavy. It pushed some, but was very civil to be at 130ish. Next, we had a pro driver take us out for "hot laps". They drove the same cars as above. Participants were supposed to get one ride (2 laps) at a speed of about 145 but some of us got a few rides!! Lastly, Tommy Kendall also honored us with a 175MPH run in an SLR!!

Drag Strip (1/10th mile): all about the launch!!
NO E55!! We drove CLK55(cabrio), SL65, S65, CLS55 (I didn't pay attention to 030 or not). No comparison to the E55, but the twin turbo V12s are a hoot!!! Not as bat out of helly as our SC cars out of the hole, but man those turbines kick in at about 3K (maybe 100 feet or so?) and it is like a plane on a runway!!
Old 05-14-2006, 03:35 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 179 Posts
Good post!