Sponsored by:

Need Advice re dealer behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Need Advice re dealer behavior

I need some advice. I took my E55 in to a Mercedes Benz dealer (not my usual one) to have a satellite radio installed. There are several ways of doing it. The Mercedes Benz recommended method is to drill a hole in the trunk lid and attach the aerial on top of it. Another way, which many people prefer for aesthetic reasons, is to place the aerial under rear deck (the flat area behind the rear seat and under the rear window – the one with the defroster).

I made it clear that I wanted the aerial installed in the second way. In fact, I chose the service center and paid more only because they assured it would be done this way. This also was made clear to the salesperson and to the technician who wrote the order when I took the car in.

When they called to tell me my car was ready for pick-up, the person making the call said that they had done it the other way (drilling through the trunk) without my asking. This implies that he was aware that I had asked for it to be done the other way. The reason given was that the reception was not good the way I had specified. (I don’t believe him because the satellite radio needs to be activated before it receives signals – something I had to do after I got the car from the dealer.)

No call was made to me to check anything.

I have since spoken to one person at the dealership (who called to inquire if the experince was satisfactory) and have subsequently written two letters -- one to the owner. No response. Several months later, I still feel angry -- in part because of no response to my letters.

Any suggestions (other than seeing a shrink over anger managment)?
Old 05-12-2006, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
I wouldn't have accepted the car. I would have left it there and insisted that they replace my trunk.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by dragonAMG
I wouldn't have accepted the car. I would have left it there and insisted that they replace my trunk.
Ditto. You paid for something to be done. When you were asked to pay you knew of the situation. That is the time you make it clear it is unsatisfactory...NOT after you've paid them and left.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:31 PM

E55
Too late for that.

Any other suggestions?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Almost a Member!

06 Mercedes E55, 01 Porsche 996 Cabrio, 07 GMC Yukon
Originally Posted by Pbglas
Too late for that.

Any other suggestions?
Have an attorney write them a letter. If you have a friend who is one, that's even better.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:30 PM

04 E55
Call MBUSA

Have your attorney send them a bill for a new trunk and painting and/or take them to small claims court.

Claim the damages to your insurance company and sic THEM on the dealer.

Make sure EVERYBODY knows which dealer it is so none of us do business there.

Just tossing out ideas. If it'd been me, I think I would have refused to pick up the car, stopped/reversed payment and at least made a big enough stink to get the install bill waved. The more time passes, the less inclined they are to do anything to make it right.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:36 PM

2006 E55 Black
I had a complaint with my dealer promising a feature was included on my new E55 (the power rear sunshade) when in fact it was not included. I complained multiple times, in a firm but friendly tone, but they just ignored me. I then wrote a detailed letter to:

Paul Juron
Mercedes-Benz USA
Customer Service
3 Paragon Drive
Montvale, NJ 07645

He is head of customer service. I sent the letter via fax (sorry don't have it handy) to Mr. Juron, and a copy to the dealership. Ultimately, it was that letter that got me a satisfactory response from the dealer. As soon as they got the fax, the dealer called me with a reasonable resolution. Oddly enough, MBUSA later wrote me that it was an issue between me and the dealer and they couldn't really help. The moral of the story: just writing a letter to MBUSA is sometimes enough to get the dealer to respond to you... the dealer is afraid of MBUSA, but not you the customer.

Also, if you have a copy of the original work order that indicates they are not to drill in the trunk, any lawyer will get you a resolution. If the order was purely verbal, it is much tougher. Lesson learned - get it in writing.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:43 PM

08' S550,,,C63!
Does the paper work they dealer gave you state the job description you wanted? If so they are responsible even if you had taken the car with you.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:34 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
For what it's worth, I'm not sure that it would have worked worth a darn if the antenna is anywhere inside the car. I put my XM ant under the fiberglass tonneau cover in my Vette and although it worked, every tree, building or even heavy cloud cover would make the digital stream shut off. I ended up putting it on with double sided tape (removable) right next to the opening. Works perfectly. They should at least refund part of the install money for the screw up.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Good luck. I am not sure if any dealer is concerned with customer service. I took my car in for the ECU update and they damaged my right front wheel and tire. They also damaged the bumper and the alignment is off. I was waiting on the car in the customer lounge and the service advisor NEVER informed me about the damage. They decided by themselves to spray some paint on the wheel and replace the tire, which was not drivable. After about 2 1/2 hours of waiting, I went to the SA and asked why it was taking so long. He said they had a problem with the lift. I told him to explain and he said that the tire got cut and they replaced it. He said to go to the cashier and sign the paperwork and he would show me the car. I did that and we inspected the car. I could tell the wheel had been painted and the SA said that they would replace it. I told him that I did not appreciate their repairing damage to my car without asking permission nor did I like the idea of having one old and one new tire on the front. I said that I needed some time to decide what I wanted them to do and he said that would be no problem and let him know in a couple of days. I discovered the alignment problem on the way home and the bumper damage after I got home. The following Monday, the SA referred me to his manager. The manager said that he wanted to do everything necessary to correct all problems. And he probably will, but no one else seems the least bit concerned. I wrote letters to MBUSA and the GM at the dealership. I got absolutely no reply from the letter to the dealership and MBUSA replied that the dealership was a privately owned business and they could not do anything about it. I received a VMM from customer service asking if the service was satisfactory. I suppose that was supposed to be a joke. I returned the call and got the VM and left a message describing the problem. CS never returned my call. I received a survey from the dealership today. I almost fell over laughing. I filled it out and attached copies of the letters that I had previously written. We will see what happens from that.

I think we see a pattern here. The dealerships and MBUSA could not care less about you, me, or any other individual. They rely on brand loyalty and expect customers to buy their products without concern for customer service. I am in the process of reassessing my desire for any future MB purchases. Good luck my friend. I hope you successfully resolve your delima.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Write a DEMAND letter to the dalership, stating:

What happenned
What needs to happen
When it must happen by

State clearly that if such time comes and goes without satisfactory resolution, then action will be taken. Send the letter certified, so there are no excusses.

If still no response, use that letter and apparent ignorance and file an online complaint with the state consumer board. This step will force them (the dealer) to officially address your concern). They can not ignore it and will not be able to write it off, since they will have no documentation to show the state that they indeed responded to your earlier attempts. They still may tell the state that they did what they were supposed to and refuse to do anything, but they must say that.

Next, you can choose if you want to take further legal action, settle, or just drop it. Be patient and document EVERYTHING!!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Pbglas
I need some advice. I took my E55 in to a Mercedes Benz dealer (not my usual one) to have a satellite radio installed. Another way, which many people prefer for aesthetic reasons, is to place the aerial under rear deck (the flat area behind the rear seat and under the rear window – the one with the defroster). I made it clear that I wanted the aerial installed in the second way. This also was made clear to the salesperson and to the technician who wrote the order when I took the car in. When they called to tell me my car was ready for pick-up, the person making the call said that they had done it the other way (drilling through the trunk) without my asking. The reason given was that the reception was not good the way I had specified. No call was made to me to check anything. Any suggestions?
In as much as the dealership was wrong in not obtaining your written permission before installing the satellite antenna to your trunk realize that the approved MBUSA method is the trunk mount. Now you say it was made clear to sales and the technician, was it verbal or was your preferred installation method noted in writing somewhere? Is there anything in writing mentioning reception would be poor with your preferred method signifying a discussion of the two methods? If not, it is my guess that MBUSA, an attorney, or the state will not render support. Now on the other hand, if there is something in writing I suggest contacting your MBUSA Service Parts and Operations Manager (SPOM) ASAP who should resolve this matter to your satisfaction. Private Mail me if you have something written in your possession.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-...402/index.html