W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto mag drives the new E63 & LOVES IT....take a look.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Auto mag drives the new E63 & LOVES IT....take a look.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...933699,00.html

I've already told you about the latest E-Class models and the fact that they have more than 2 000 new parts, making this newest range more than just a facelift, and these changes apply just as much to the AMG versions, the E 63 sedan and estate, and the CLS.
I didn't drive the E 63T AMG wagon, but I DID drive the new E 500T estate, which, with 285 kW, gets a lot closer to the power of the old E 55 AMG's 350 kW, and sprints from rest to 100 km/h in just 5.3 seconds.
As with all Mercedes-Benz cars (except the SLR) top speed is limited to 250 km/h.
Performance on the E 500T estate, as to be expected, is stunning - but handling, as often happens with a station wagon, which has to balance the diverse needs of people and load carrying, is a bit of a compromise.
Still good, but not GREAT.
However, the same can't be said for the E 63 AMG.
Taut as a clock spring, but not at all wound up, this is a rocket ship of a car.
And it's not just about out-and-out power.
The car accelerates from 0-100 km/h in just 4.5 seconds, which is 0.2 seconds quicker than the supercharged E 55 AMG.
Mid-range grunt
However, with massive torque of 630 Nm (maxing at 5 200 r/min) and the seven-speed auto gearbox, it has tremendous mid-range acceleration combined with BIG improvements in fuel economy over the E55.
With a combined EU petrol thirst of 14.5 litres/100 km it's certainly still no fuel-sipper, but E55 owners will tell you that's mild...
While the E 55 was derived from the "cooking" E 500 V8, the 6.3-litre unit is brand new.
Developed completely independently by AMG, the high-performance engine has around 20% more torque than comparable naturally aspirated engines in this output class.
Made from high-strength aluminium, the AMG V8 features a number of technologies borrowed from motor sport, highlighting the racing tradition of AMG.
And it REVS.
Get into most V8s, and they start to run out of steam around the 6 000 mark, if you're lucky.
But the AMG motor whips around to 7 000 r/min with alacrity, at which point the sound - what little there is of it that permeates into the cabin - is pure delight.
Though not the biggest on the road, the E-Class is no wilting violet of a car, with lots of room for five adults (it's Germany's most popular taxi) and their luggage. So does it handle?
The answer is yes, yes, and another yes for good luck.
The E55 could catch you unawares if you weren't careful, especially if you managed to get one rear wheel on looser stuff than the other.
New brakes
But this latest version is equipped with AMG sports suspension as well as a high-performance AMG braking system.
The new sports suspension, based on the semi-active AIRMATIC DC air suspension with adaptive damping system, sees both the springs and the shock absorbers significantly stiffened.
In addition, changed characteristics for the three stages of the AMG shock absorbers mean body movements are reduced.
Because of the automatically self-levelling suspension on all wheels spring travel is always the same even when the vehicle is fully loaded. In addition, thicker stabilisers help reduce body roll when cornering at high speeds.
So you get great handling - and it's not too bumpy, either - yet by touching the button on the between-seats console you can immediately change from race track firm to boulevard spring mattress.
And those brakes!
The E 63 and its cousin the CLS 63 feature a new high-performance composite brake system at the front, with internally ventilated perforated brake discs all around.
This is coupled with 8.5 and 9.5-inch wide (front/rear) titanium grey high-sheen 18-inch AMG light-alloy wheels in a new five-spoke design fitted with 255/40 and 285/35 tyres respectrively.
And unlike other Merc models, which still retain some semblance of stability control even when the ESP button is off, on the AMG versions "Off" means just that.
Best left for those with the skills of Kimi Raikonnen...
Earlier I mentioned the gearbox.
7-speed gearbox
The AMG SPEEDSHIFT 7G-TRONIC offers full automatic or manual, the latter using the central gear lever or the new aluminium gearshift paddles which replace the buttons used on the E 55.
The 7-speed automatic system adapts itself to driving style - be it dynamic or more laid-back.
Accessible via a switch in the centre console, the driving modes "S" (Sport), "C" (Comfort) and "M" (Manual) each have different gearshift characteristics and speeds.
Gear-changing time in "S" mode is about 30% faster than in "C" mode - and in "M" mode it is up to around 50% quicker.
If manual mode ("M") is selected, the driver also benefits from the V8 engine's immense pulling power, since automatic downshifts are prevented, even at full load or when the kickdown position is reached.
In other words, the driver can be sure that the selected gear will remain engaged.
Selecting manual mode also prevents the 'box from performing an automatic upshift when the engine speed limit for a particular gear is reached.
Styling
So what about styling?
Both the E 63 and the CLS get a contoured front apron with large air inlets and circular fog lamps, side skirts, and a distinctive rear apron with the traditional AMG design.
On the E 63 the radiator grille has four silver-painted louvres as well as "6.3 AMG" lettering on the front wings; the CLS gets three louvres.
An especially sexy feature on the E 63 is the "shark's gills" hot air outlets just ahead of the front wheel arches.
Both sedan and coupe get an integrated AMG spoiler lip on the boot lid which reduces lift acting on the rear axle by about 30%, giving driving stability at high speeds.
The E 63 gets quad round exhaust pipes; the CLS gets twin chromed oval pipes.
Inside both cars are AMG sports seats with AMG upholstery piping and perforation pattern with double stitching.
In addition they are equipped with seat heating, an AMG nameplate, and Alcantara inserts at shoulder level to give more lateral support while cornering at higher speeds.
There's also top-quality nappa leather in three different colour combinations on all seats, the door centre panels and at the centre armrest; the AMG sports steering wheel with gearshift; chrome-plated door sill panels bearing the AMG logo; and the AMG instrument cluster with its 320 km/h speedometer.
So, now for the million rand question? When are they getting here, and how much will they be?
Expect prices to range between R900 000 and just under R1-million, depending on the model.
And they're likely here in the third quarter of this year.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Thanks, does the E63 really have 285s in the back now?
Old 05-16-2006, 11:23 AM

2006 E55 Black
Thanks for the post. I still find it hard to believe the E63 will be 0.2 quicker in the 0-62 run. I just can't imagine getting any more torque down on the tires than the E55 already has. I'd love to see a 1/4 mile run ET number... that would settle the mystery.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:39 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
Ken: The lower torque may help it hook up better and the 7 speed will help the times as well. The E550's new sport package now has the same tire sizes as our 55's so they probably increased the 63's.

I think the statement about 2000 new parts could be a bit misleading as the new engine and trans combined probably has close to 2000 new parts compared to the 55's. It does sound as if the 63's handling will be much better and the brakes sound very interesting. I do love the new seat design, perforated steering wheel section and the lip spoiler.

The 63 will have some nicer features over the 55 for sure, but I for one would not buy a first year production car especially from MB as we all know the teething pains the 55's went through for the first year or so and MB's ify quality of late.

Last edited by RJC; 05-16-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Ill take the steering wheel & and the brakes thanks ... they can keep the engine.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
i like i think im gonna order one for july!

i like this part: And unlike other Merc models, which still retain some semblance of stability control even when the ESP button is off, on the AMG versions "Off" means just that.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Banned

AMGs
Yeah, I think I will let one of my 55s go for a 63.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
Originally Posted by 2K6E55
Yeah, I think I will let one of my 55s go for a 63.
You can give one to me.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
Looks quite promising. I'll still take the FI E55 over the E63 anyday simply due to the tunability, but for someone who does not want to tinker with their cars, it sounds like M-B has done a great job with it. Still on the fence about the pointy nose and lackluster wheel design. Interior is hot, though!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Fifth gear also just reviewed the E63. They liked it except for the usual AMG complaints: Numb steering and handling.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Those South African journo's are too easily pleased...

I still maintain that the E63 is going to be a screamer if it reaches it's max torque at 5200rpm. It must have very little torque down low or that seven-speeder would get shredded