Sponsored by:

Strange Results After Recall Updates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Results After Recall Updates

Today I picked up the car which received the various recall updates that were listed for the W211 AMG's. I do not have the invoice on me but I will list them later. What I have noticed as that the supercharger is noticeably louder. This thing whiiiiinessss - sounds like an S/C'd Cobra. For some reason, however, the car seems much less jumpy while in 2nd and 3rd gears. It just seems as if the car is no longer as responsive. I did the ECU reset(?) about a week before I brought the car in and I did feel a slight difference in the car's responsiveness but now it feels as if it has gone back to its original setting. I just did the reset again tonight and I'll update later. Has anyone had similar results after getting the updates? Its quite disappointing the lack of power I'm feeling. I drove my father's car the other day and the thing was spinning the tires well into 2nd. Is there any reason for this?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:27 AM

'05 E55, HRE 847R's black centers, black grille
same issue

I noticed mine was a lot louder also. I picked up mine today from Simonson.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Mine was super SLOW after the updates. But, I just attributed it to the fact that the K2 program was erased. I sent the ECU in for a reflash and now it seems faster than before.

I can't say that my sc sounds any louder... I'll have to listen for it tomorrow and see if I notice anything.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500
I'll be checking mine AFTER I get it back. Once the car was at the dealership and apart, they tell me there is a 10 day back order on the parts and the car is undriveable till then.... Nothing like planning ahead.
Glenn
Old 06-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Yup... There is something going on.. I had the "Secondary Air Injection Pump" TSB done. My tech knows that the ECU is programmed so he didnt do that part of the TSB but he changed whatever else was required..

My car definitely feels worse than it did before they did the service. I am going to see if I can get them to reverse whatever they did because it runs worse now.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Is this recall really necessary, these are not good results and I am wary on bringing in my car?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Me too...this is scary.

So thankful for this place sometimes. Just not sure what to do at this point. I have 5000 miles before next service so I am good for now.

Any ideas what to do.

Can you deny the service update without messing with warranty?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Me too...this is scary.

So thankful for this place sometimes. Just not sure what to do at this point. I have 5000 miles before next service so I am good for now.

Any ideas what to do.

Can you deny the service update without messing with warranty?
Jakpro1 - I had Kleemann load their newest K2 program and like I said, it seems to be faster now and a little bit more responsive. For us Kleemann guys, I definitely would not be scared to do the recall and get the newest K2 program.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:02 PM

I experienced that the car ran like crap after the install,so i sent it back Kleemann,and now it runs ok.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Cool....thanks Dragon!!
Old 06-02-2006, 06:58 PM

2003 E55 K1
Angry

This is very scary. I experienced same problem after recall. MB installed the secondary air injection and supercharger didn't work for some time. Then it worked but MB said car needed a new ECU. Now car is QUIETER, but noticeably slower. I cannot even spin rear wheels after 10 MPH which I thought might be due to new PS'2, but now I'm thinking its the recall. I also tried ECU reset but it didn't help. Frankly, I think we're screwed. MB will not reverse recall modifications.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What could it possibly be that reduced out power? On my invoice it says that they removed and re-installed a program on the ECU. I'm guessing thats what it is. I did the "ECU Reset" last night and today there was still no change - slow as a tugboat...almost.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Coalman
This is very scary. I experienced same problem after recall. MB installed the secondary air injection and supercharger didn't work for some time. Then it worked but MB said car needed a new ECU. Now car is QUIETER, but noticeably slower. I cannot even spin rear wheels after 10 MPH which I thought might be due to new PS'2, but now I'm thinking its the recall. I also tried ECU reset but it didn't help. Frankly, I think we're screwed. MB will not reverse recall modifications.
My car shifts so quick with the ECU mods that I dont want to fix what is not broke. I never even got a letter?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:29 PM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Go to /FYI

I also found some strange things. Vrus & vic55 you may not like it. Unfortunity it has be confirmed by several very popular tuners. Just try and use your data logger or scanner. if you have been reflashed by your local MB dealer , lately , I thing you have been lock out of some of the live data pages?? You use to use. ___PTE___

Last edited by PTE; 06-03-2006 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I haven't gotten any letters either so I may wait until I hear more from you guys on this. I am due to go in for my 1st service (greetings) soon, so I hope they don't screw mine up. Mine is stock. It makes all kinds of noises. It is a little "rough" in 2nd and 3rd. But man o man, it FLIES!!! I have 275/35 PS2s and can smoke them all the way through second and catch a bark going into 3rd. If that goes away, so will the E.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:57 PM

03 RRE Evo, 06 E55
Hmmmm, I just got an oil change and got the service bulletin done as well. It was for a relay for the air pump....which I found strange but oh well, I asked the service manager if there's an ecu update but he said no......afterwards on my invoice it says flashed and changed relay. So I guess the ecu's been modified in some way. I did do one quick testrun up to maybe 70mph from 5mph and it seemed to pull fine....I got 19" ps2's on as well and I can't say I got less wheel spin because I saw the esp button flashing all the way till 40mph-50mph....my butt dyno is pretty accurate when it comes to this kind of stuff. I'll keep you guys updated on my drive to LA tonight so I can get some good runs on the highway to see what's up. But so far so good, I don't notice any loud supercharger whine as well. PS, this was done @ Hoehn Mercedes of Carlsbad.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:27 PM

2003 E55 K1
Unhappy

Originally Posted by jangy
I haven't gotten any letters either so I may wait until I hear more from you guys on this. I am due to go in for my 1st service (greetings) soon, so I hope they don't screw mine up. Mine is stock. It makes all kinds of noises. It is a little "rough" in 2nd and 3rd. But man o man, it FLIES!!! I have 275/35 PS2s and can smoke them all the way through second and catch a bark going into 3rd. If that goes away, so will the E.
Unfortunately, MB dealers do all recall work anytime cars are brought in for service. I believe they are required to do so by MB. You may be able to ask them not to if its not safety related or if it doesn't affect your warrant, which it may. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:57 AM

2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
I brought my e55 in for the recall work today: one for the braking system, the other for the engine thing. I noticed no differences in performance on the drive home, nor did I notice an increase in supercharger volume.

I have a question regarding the scroll-through pages in the speedometer-screen on the dash. when it's on the mileage/odometer screen, in one instance it's "from start", which is either from that start of the car or for that day's driving (i can't tell), and the other it is "from reset". Does the latter screen measure time, miles and mpg from the last ecu reset or from the car's instantiation, i.e. from the first time you program your parameter settings (usually at point of delivery)?

Do the people who've had the recall/reset done see the time "from reset" as close to zero, or is this number close to what it was when they brought the car in? in my car, it was unchanged from before. does that, coupled with the lack of performance differences, supercharger whine, etc., mean that they didn't actually perform the recall ECU thing on my car (perhaps mine was late enough that it didn't need it?)?

Your thoughts welcome.

vic
Old 06-03-2006, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vixapphire

Do the people who've had the recall/reset done see the time "from reset" as close to zero, or is this number close to what it was when they brought the car in?
vic
I think by "reset" it means the reset of the trip odometer.

ANOTHER PROBLEM :
I was on my way home tonight having a little fun with a G35. Nothing crazy - the most intense driving I would say was about 30 seconds at 4,500 in 2nd gear. After about 3 minutes of messing around, yep, you guessed it, supercharger SHUT OFF. NOTHING. The car was like a whale. I took it easy for about another 3 minutes and it went back to normal.

I am planning on calling my service advisor in the morning and letting her know what is going on. This is seriously getting ridiculous. Not only is the car noticeably slower, but now I'm starting to have the problems that this recall was supposed to fix (AND I DIDNT EVEN HAVE THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE!!). Is there any explanation for this random shut off?? This car is WAY too mercurial for me.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:16 AM

2005 E55 AMG
I brought my e55 in for the recall work today: one for the braking system, the other for the engine thing. I noticed no differences in performance on the drive home, nor did I notice an increase in supercharger volume.
I've supposedly had both campaigns performed on my '05 (December '04 build) and can't tell any change, either in performance or sound.

I'm thinking about doing another dyno pull to see if there's any difference. However, different DynoJet dynos, different ambient conditions, possibly different SAE correction factors, and an additional 4K miles since the first pull will make the results meaningless unless there's a major change. I'd be interested if anyone is able to quantify the before and after power level.

I have a question regarding the scroll-through pages in the speedometer-screen on the dash. when it's on the mileage/odometer screen, in one instance it's "from start", which is either from that start of the car or for that day's driving (i can't tell), and the other it is "from reset". Does the latter screen measure time, miles and mpg from the last ecu reset or from the car's instantiation, i.e. from the first time you program your parameter settings (usually at point of delivery)?

Do the people who've had the recall/reset done see the time "from reset" as close to zero, or is this number close to what it was when they brought the car in? in my car, it was unchanged from before. does that, coupled with the lack of performance differences, supercharger whine, etc., mean that they didn't actually perform the recall ECU thing on my car (perhaps mine was late enough that it didn't need it?)?
You're referring to the trip computer function. The "after start" detail refers to the current distance driven, time elapsed, average speed and average fuel consumption since the car was last started. Note: "after start" statistics will be reset to zero after 4 hours if the SmartKey is removed from the ignition; however, "after start" resetting will not occur if you turn the SmartKey back to position 1 or 2 within the same 4-hour period.

As I understand it, the "after reset" detail refers to the the distance driven, time elapsed, average speed and average fuel consumption since the last time the trip computer function was reset using the "Settings . . . To reset: Press reset button for 3 seconds".

Last edited by Beowulf; 06-03-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
This is what is so puzzling about this whole thing.. The secondary air injection pump is for emissions control. All it does is pump fresh air back into the exhaust (as far as I know) to help control emissions.

I can't for the life of me figure out why my car is less responsive now when they didnt touch my ECU and supposedly just changed a relay??????

I tried ECU reset procedure, I tried battery disconnect overnight.. Car definitely is not as responsive and "feels" slower than before.

The crappy thing is that I have to go back on Monday now to get the TB put in and supercharger clutch, but the car is not in its healthiest form.. If I pass on this install date it will be weeks before I can go back again. So... TB will have to go in, and I'll have to get them to try and reverse whatever the hell it is that is making this car feel this way.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:10 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Strange things??

Victor; check & see if your Code scanner can no longer can support the live data pages . If this issue shows up You have been reflached .Mb has put a (road Block) in place to keep aftermarket tuners. at bay, So to speak. ___PTE___
Old 06-03-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
Eleanor:

Have your pump checked out. I just finished with my K2 IC upgrade along with the -10 degree "fan on mod" and I can say the difference is noticeable! It's 95 degrees everyday here, and I run the Psss out of the car, and not once has the cooling been an issue or had the S/C shut down. Quite frankly-It runs cooler now then anytime since I have owned the car.
A well worth investment in these beasts!!!
Old 06-03-2006, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kens-E55
Eleanor:

Have your pump checked out. I just finished with my K2 IC upgrade along with the -10 degree "fan on mod" and I can say the difference is noticeable! It's 95 degrees everyday here, and I run the Psss out of the car, and not once has the cooling been an issue or had the S/C shut down. Quite frankly-It runs cooler now then anytime since I have owned the car.
A well worth investment in these beasts!!!
Man!!!! It really sucks that all you guys are experiecing these issues. Am I the only one whos car faster post-recall? Has anyone else done had the recall performed and had their K2 program updated? Those who have, is your car slower?

Kens - Can you post a link to the -10 degree "fan on mod"? Thanks.

Last edited by dragonAMG; 06-03-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
I got the brake and ECU recalls done plus some work on the AC blower. I'm taking it out on the freeway tonight. Didn't act any differently on the way home from the dealer, but that was all surface streets.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Strange Results After Recall Updates