Sponsored by:

Anyone in ChicagoLand can install mirror etched V1 radar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
996TT
Anyone in ChicagoLand can install mirror etched V1 radar

Anyone in ChicagoLand can install mirror etched V1 radar?
Old 06-13-2006, 01:05 PM

CLS55
If you can't find someone in the Chicago area, I know a guy in NYC that can.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:03 PM

'10 E63 AMG
I know a guy in Atlanta who does superb work. I have compared the work he did on my mirror, with the guy from NYC's work. Apparently, there are TWO layers of mirroring - my guy in ATL took off ONLY the back layer of mirroring, so the display in the mirror is very subdued and hardly noticeable except for when the LED is lit up when the detector is active. If you etch off both layers, you get a big black square or arrow or whatever shape was scratched out to mount the display from the radar/laser detector behind - that is what I have seen the guy from NYC do (and personally, I think it looks like crap - IMHO almost like the mirror has been ruined). Here are some pictures: the one with the big black etchings is the NYC guy, the other two are mine - the daylight one you can hardly see that the mirror has been etched (if you look closely in the lower left hand corner, you can see a hint of a blur that represents the rectangle of the second layer of the mirroring removed) - the evening photo is the LED display from my Passport (I tried to get a good daylight picture, but it came out blurry and wasn't indicative of the quality of the work). This is a very stealthy install - people who I show it to are invariably extremely impressed. Not too many folks have taken the time to learn how do do this well and expertly, but I'll bet there's a guy somewhere in the CHI area - if you find someone, make sure you find out if he etches off only the back layer of mirroring - that is how you want it to be done, but it is more difficult and tedious workmanship, so I think most will take the short cut and just blast off both layers. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone in ChicagoLand can install mirror etched V1 radar-etched-mirror-display-off.jpg   Anyone in ChicagoLand can install mirror etched V1 radar-etchedmirror1.jpg   Anyone in ChicagoLand can install mirror etched V1 radar-etchedmirror.jpg  

Last edited by oblax4; 06-13-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:19 PM

996TT
thanks for the info... still searching for that installer in chi-town with no avail. Hopefully i find someone....