Sponsored by:

Help with Malfunction?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
Help with Malfunction?!

got the car back today and they said they replaced the regulator in the alternator, and the front battery.

All was good until i gave it a bit and then the red warning came up "VISIT WORKSHOP" with a pic of the battery. Followed by "Battery protection, Convenience functions unavailable" This is the same malfunction it had before i had to have it towed. Very shortly after it flashed up "convenience functions available again", but the red battery warning remained. I took it straight home, shut it off, then started it again and it then said NO MALFUNCTION.

Anyone know whats going on?!

thanks for any help.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
This tends to happen when battery voltage drops off (e.g. if u have not driven car for a while.) ... drive the car - to get the charge up switch it off and try it agn in an hour ... see if the error is still there - if so - back to the stealer.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by sly55
got the car back today and they said they replaced the regulator in the alternator, and the front battery.

All was good until i gave it a bit and then the red warning came up "VISIT WORKSHOP" with a pic of the battery. Followed by "Battery protection, Convenience functions unavailable" This is the same malfunction it had before i had to have it towed. Very shortly after it flashed up "convenience functions available again", but the red battery warning remained. I took it straight home, shut it off, then started it again and it then said NO MALFUNCTION.

Anyone know whats going on?!

thanks for any help.
I had a similar problem not to long ago. They replaced the the voltage regulator first then replaced the alternator after the problem came back. From what the service writer told me the voltage regulator they changed is not mounted on the alternator.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
03 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rflow306
I had a similar problem not to long ago. They replaced the the voltage regulator first then replaced the alternator after the problem came back. From what the service writer told me the voltage regulator they changed is not mounted on the alternator.
The same happened to me as well. After the teco's did the above and the usual "if this" then "do that" procedure, it finally came down to re-flashing the firmware in the "Battery Control Module" located in the bum (AMG version) don't know where your one is though.

Good luck...
Old 06-14-2006, 02:10 PM

thanks for the help i will tell them when i speak to them tomorrow. I did a bit more testing. the warning only comes on after the 2nd or 3rd full throttle rev out, conveniences go offline, then all is back to normal if i switch the car off and on again.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:56 AM

Well it seems to be fixed. They told me that the brand new voltage regulator which they replaced was ALSO faulty! So they put another one in, and now i cannot get it to flash up any malfunctions. Lets hope it lasts! One week of ownership and the car has been to the shop twice!...