Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2007 | 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Aquamist 2D?
Old 05-22-2007 | 11:35 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Yup! My kit is based off the 2D.. Richard @ ERL (the makers of Aquamist) created a custom twin-pump kit for me.

Aquamist makes the best products when it comes to this stuff.. That's why alot of the race teams (Viper race team, subaru ralley team, and a bunch of others) use his stuff.

Its more expensive than the competitive stuff but its worth it..

Originally Posted by stevebez
Aquamist 2D?

Last edited by vrus; 05-22-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-22-2007 | 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by vrus
Yup! My kit is based off the 2D.. Richard @ ERL (the makers of Aquamist) created a custom twin-pump kit for me.

Aquamist makes the best products when it comes to this stuff.. That's why alot of the race teams (Viper race team, subaru ralley team, and a bunch of others) use his stuff.

Its more expensive than the competitive stuff but its worth it..
Vrus...I am not getting the aquamist one, I am going with cooling mist but with the Aquamist injectors, my tech seems to like them more than the Cooling mist. this will not be activiated by the ECU, nor driven by the RPM but by Boost, will this be appropriate?
Old 05-22-2007 | 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am thinking of getting a 2D kit - and fitting the injector just ahead of the intercooler - just after the S/C screws in that right angle rounded chamber going to the S/C. The S/C is Ally right so that should be fine and I plan to run only water so that should be fine too ...

Now you know why if the S/C had to come out entirely for the VRTB install.

Any thots?
Old 05-23-2007 | 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by eclou
I don't think you will find many running 50/50 mixtures on street cars. Methanol is toxic, unstable, expensive, and corrosive. Most run 10-30%. Most importantly, it has less than 1/2 the BTU's of gasoline. Otherwise, why would we not run straight meth in the fuel tank? While it is a very effective anti-knock agent, the actual calculation of octane rating is much more complex than simple algrebra.
I do. It is no more unstable than a lot of other chemicals you most likely have in your garage. Moreover, if you mix it with water and store it in its 50/50 state, you are talking even less unstable. It is not expensive if you can buy in bulk from a speed shop.

The biggest issue is whether you map the ecu to run with the methanol, and at what concentration you chose to run the water/alcohol. If you go with the mapping of the computer assuming the constant use of your methanol spray, you will have issues if you run out of methanol without knowing it (most setups I've seen don't have more than a couple gallon reservoir), and the extra 50-60 hp is probably not worth the engine safety factor on any kind of driver.

I, and many others, use the alcohol injection as a safety device to help cool a blown engine. When I'm running the alcohol spray (I have a toggle switch so I can run it or not), the intake on the engine is so cool that you can feel the difference with your hand. I view it as an added margin for error on a boosted car, and something that will be more of a maintence plus than a real performance plus, since I don't want to run a separate map on the ragged edge for a 50/50 mix. In this regard, you can think of it as the equivalent to a turbo timer that does nothing to increase performance, but hopefully reduces wear and increases longevity of the powerplant.
Old 05-27-2007 | 10:03 AM

All of them!
Subscribing .
Old 06-19-2007 | 03:43 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by e55 baller
The jury is still out for me, frankly I have not had the time or energy to try to get this system tuned. I ran it for the first time in about 6 months. When it sprayed I noticed the IATs when down a bit but when I came to a stop light the car was idling all rich and rough, it felt like ****. I would not recommend anyone to go this route if you are looking for HP unless you have a lot of patience and cycles to tune it properly.

Humm...I guess Vadim was right all along.
Old 06-23-2007 | 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Well I have good news for everyone that thought negative in respect to the methanol kits...I installed my kit last night and the car runs awesome. Super cool!!!!, I purchased the snow performance variable controler wich is good bang for the buck and sprays at different levels depending on boost along with their jets also. I purchased the aquamist solenoid valve along with their pump and the trunk mounted reservoir, and the empty tank sensor. My tech did a stealth installation incredible how nice it came out. So professional. We taped into the surge tanks to take the boost line out of there. We tapped one hole into the Y-pipe just above the throtle body to install one injector which is good enough for the HP. We also installed a toggle switch, to switch on and off when desired. Along with that we also installed and LED that will tell me when the system is armed and comes on. Everything works perfect and the way the car runs after a few pulls and is completely different than before. We set the variable controller to start spraying at 8 pounds of boost and to spray max at 12 pounds. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to try this.

Last edited by V12Godspeed; 06-23-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-23-2007 | 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by MIG-E55Rocket
Well I have good news for everyone that thought negative in respect to the methanol kits...I installed my kit last night and the car runs awesome. Super cool!!!!, I purchased the snow performance variable controler wich is good bang for the buck and sprays at different levels depending on boost along with their jets also. I purchased the aquamist solenoid valve along with their pump and the trunk mounted reservoir, and the empty tank sensor. My tech did a stealth installation incredible how nice it came out. So professional. We taped into the surge tanks to take the boost line out of there. We taped one hole into the Y-pipe just above the throtle body to install one injector which is good enough for the HP. We also installed a toggle switch to switch on and off when desired. Along with that we also installed and LED that will tell me when the system is armed and comes on. Everything works perfect and the way the car runs after a few pulls and is completely different than before. We set the variable controller to start spraying at 8 pounds of boost and to spray max at 12 pounds. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to try this.

Dyno or some track numbers please.
Old 06-23-2007 | 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by rflow306
Dyno or some track numbers please.
Will try to hit E-town pretty soon, as for Dyno waiting to install the TB.
Old 06-23-2007 | 05:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Well I have good news for everyone that thought negative in respect to the methanol kits...I installed my kit last night and the car runs awesome. Super cool!!!!, I purchased the snow performance variable controler wich is good bang for the buck and sprays at different levels depending on boost along with their jets also. I purchased the aquamist solenoid valve along with their pump and the trunk mounted reservoir, and the empty tank sensor. My tech did a stealth installation incredible how nice it came out. So professional. We taped into the surge tanks to take the boost line out of there. We tapped one hole into the Y-pipe just above the throtle body to install one injector which is good enough for the HP. We also installed a toggle switch, to switch on and off when desired. Along with that we also installed and LED that will tell me when the system is armed and comes on. Everything works perfect and the way the car runs after a few pulls and is completely different than before. We set the variable controller to start spraying at 8 pounds of boost and to spray max at 12 pounds. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to try this.
Sounds great! Dyno, cost, and pics please!
Old 06-24-2007 | 12:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by vrus
I've mentioned this a few times.. you have to look at these injection kits as a means of cooling and not for HP. Dont bother injectin methanol. Unless you want to custom tune the ECU to take advantage of it ( which I can do for you if you really want), its a waste..

Fill the reservoir with 100% distilled water. Use a small jet size. Also, because you bought a kit which is not 3D mappable like mine is, it sprays constant volume across the whole RPM band which is another problem.

The kit I put together and that is being installed in my car has an ECU which watches injector pulse and ensures a constant water to fuel ratio across the entire RPM band (the amount of water needed at 2,500RPM is vastly different than what is needed at 6,000RPM).
Listen to the man! Especially:

1) "you have to look at these injection kits as a means of cooling and not for HP"

2) "the amount of water needed at 2,500RPM is vastly different than what is needed at 6,000RPM"

We used to use them on a lot of turbo audi's with great success. And frankly.. standard windshield washer fluid worked just fine.
Old 06-24-2007 | 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies
Listen to the man! Especially:

1) "you have to look at these injection kits as a means of cooling and not for HP"

2) "the amount of water needed at 2,500RPM is vastly different than what is needed at 6,000RPM"

We used to use them on a lot of turbo audi's with great success. And frankly.. standard windshield washer fluid worked just fine.
Definitely agree, that is why we have the variable controller, It sprays based on the amount of boost produced. To start off it sprays at 8 pounds and lastly full spray at 12 pounds comes on completely I could set it higher or where ever I want.

The car just flies after I floor it, my tires can't hold at 40mph!!! The best thing is I am just using water also, after I send out the ECU to get tunned then I will run a high concentration of Meth but at this point I am loving the water and the results obtained.
Old 06-24-2007 | 02:08 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Definitely agree, that is why we have the variable controller, It sprays based on the amount of boost produced. To start off it sprays at 8 pounds and lastly full spray at 12 pounds comes on completely I could set it higher or where ever I want.

The car just flies after I floor it, my tires can't hold at 40mph!!! The best thing is I am just using water also, after I send out the ECU to get tunned then I will run a high concentration of Meth but at this point I am loving the water and the results obtained.
Who is tuning the ECU for you?
Old 06-24-2007 | 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Who is tuning the ECU for you?
Right now I am still doing my research as to who should I go with...Kleeman, powerchip... I have looked into Active Autowerks in Miami, I hear they have a pretty sick ECU tune. Have you heard of them? they do BMW's but I believe they have just opened their market to AMG's also.
Old 06-24-2007 | 02:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Right now I am still doing my research as to who should I go with...Kleeman, powerchip... I have looked into Active Autowerks in Miami, I hear they have a pretty sick ECU tune. Have you heard of them? they do BMW's but I believe they have just opened their market to AMG's also.
Yea I've heard of active autowerks but they tune BMW's. Benzes are a whole nother ball game. I never knew they started tuning AMG's, maybe I need to give them a call Tuning options are VERY limited. Keep us posted on who you go with because I would be very interested.
Old 06-24-2007 | 12:13 PM

2004 S55 AMG
Rflow had their tune and it worked for him.
Old 06-24-2007 | 12:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Shaun
Rflow had their tune and it worked for him.
Really??? They tuned it for nitrous? Thats awesome.
Old 06-24-2007 | 12:29 PM

2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Really??? They tuned it for nitrous? Thats awesome.
Well I don't know about that but I spoke to him some time back when he was using them. Now I think he is hookup with Vrus.
Old 06-24-2007 | 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55

Cory at Kleemann or Vrus for your tune.

Rflow's car has a Vrus tune and I believe he's happy with it so far.
Old 06-24-2007 | 07:08 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Very cool project and I'm sorry it didn't turn out as expected. I'm sure with more tweaking it will be more functional.

I would look for a local tuner since your car will need to be in for tuning. NOS, Alchy systems, and turbos/sc's all require your car in for tuning. Any tuner who can tune for such mods through the mail is telling fables.

Just a heads up

-Aaron
Old 06-25-2007 | 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MIG-E55Rocket - this is awesome - any dataloggin of IAT's after this install vs before ...

BTW consider Weterrauer as well for the tune as each one is a custom tune... Not sure who does it in the USA, but they have done many updates on the 55k motor lately.

Also if I understand correctly are you sparying before the S/C or after the I/C ??

Last edited by stevebez; 06-25-2007 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2007 | 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by StealthAuto
Very cool project and I'm sorry it didn't turn out as expected. I'm sure with more tweaking it will be more functional.

I would look for a local tuner since your car will need to be in for tuning. NOS, Alchy systems, and turbos/sc's all require your car in for tuning. Any tuner who can tune for such mods through the mail is telling fables.

Just a heads up

-Aaron
I plan on towing my car down to Miami... this will be a bit of a vacation for me and a nice tunning experience, I will do this at the end of july.
Old 06-25-2007 | 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by stevebez
MIG-E55Rocket - this is awesome - any dataloggin of IAT's after this install vs before ...

BTW consider Weterrauer as well for the tune as each one is a custom tune... Not sure who does it in the USA, but they have done many updates on the 55k motor lately.

Also if I understand correctly are you sparying before the S/C or after the I/C ??
I am planning on doing a dyno with A/F measurments, just have to find a good shop that knows how to dyno and give me correct readings.

In respect to the spraying it is going in before the TB, right on top of the Y pipe. I have a solenoid valve for protection. I will try to take some pics today as I am home.
Old 07-07-2007 | 01:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Any updates? I need more power!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K2 + Methly injection, dyno results