Sponsored by:

Sbc Brake Recall: Warning!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 S63
Sbc Brake Recall: Warning!

Guys, I got my 55 serviced at Benzel Busch, Englewood, NJ for the SBC recall. Service was excellent, as usual -- but my service advisor told me after the fact that DIY brake pad changes are "no longer possible" because the new "SBC bracket" requires a special tool that only dealers are equipped with. This sounds extremely disturbing -- it seems absurd to me that any manufacturer would "force" you to pay its outrageous service rates for a simple brake pad change. If this information is accurate, you may wish to think twice about performing the SBC recall -- notwithstanding the potential "hazards" disclosed in the recall notice. While our 55's are incredible machines, there seems to be a drawback with all this technology. I miss the days where you could work on your car yourself -- the 210 being a classic example. Or the pre-Buck Rogers spaceship BMW ///M models (E39 ///M5, E36 ///M3, etc.). If you guys take your beasts to the $ealer, would you please inquire about the SBC brake recall and post your information on the board? Is this recall really a "good" thing?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by leepy55
Guys, I got my 55 serviced at Benzel Busch, Englewood, NJ for the SBC recall. Service was excellent, as usual -- but my service advisor told me after the fact that DIY brake pad changes are "no longer possible" because the new "SBC bracket" requires a special tool that only dealers are equipped with. This sounds extremely disturbing -- it seems absurd to me that any manufacturer would "force" you to pay its outrageous service rates for a simple brake pad change. If this information is accurate, you may wish to think twice about performing the SBC recall -- notwithstanding the potential "hazards" disclosed in the recall notice. While our 55's are incredible machines, there seems to be a drawback with all this technology. I miss the days where you could work on your car yourself -- the 210 being a classic example. Or the pre-Buck Rogers spaceship BMW ///M models (E39 ///M5, E36 ///M3, etc.). If you guys take your beasts to the $ealer, would you please inquire about the SBC brake recall and post your information on the board? Is this recall really a "good" thing?

I had my SBC recall done last year and then Evosport did the pads earlier this year, no probs or issues. Yes they are master techs but they are not a MBZ service center and never once mentioned anything about a special tool.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
One CAN replace the Brake pads Yourself....Either Unplug the SBC pump..Lock the car and put the key in a SAFE place so it cannot be unlocked...or Use the MB Star Diag aka SDS ....Your Service Advisor does NOT have a CLUE ...lol
Old 06-22-2006, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M3, E55, SL55
Thats correct I also am a Benz tech, and the sbc recall is that they install a new bracket on the sbc pump for the ground wire. Without the bracket the ground wire will get damaged. Also the tool that we have for the sbc is to update the software for the braking system. Also, you can change your pads yourself, just disconnect the sbc harness from the unit, make sure u do this. If you dont the calipers will lock on the rotor and cant be removed until disabling it. Thnx serge
Old 06-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Thanks to all for the input. I'd never consider changing my own pads on these cars. I used to press and even bleed my older cars, but I saving a few hundre just don't do it anymore. I am probably one of the only fans of the brake by wire system. My favorite feature is that it adds extra push to the rear when the car dips. this makes you go through rear pads faster, but it really helps distribute the weight.