Alert!! Hold On To Your Stock Ecu

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Renntech

I've asked Hartmut if this new flash extends to other cars outside of the E55. This thread has me a bit worried as well even though I"m in a SLK55. Who knows if mercedes decides to extend this to other vehicles. I already know that the 2006 SLK55s have a bit different programming than the 2005s.

To be honest Ted, while I don't speak for Renntech, I would be highly surprised if Renntech was willing to reprogram a Kleemann car. I'd expect that Kleemann would also not be willing to reprogram a Renntech car. But who knows ... you are a customer that I"m sure Renntech would love to have. If not now than for the future.

Good luck to everyone with this issue I hope it gets resolved ASAP.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
Hartmut has been notified. As for now, i have yet to receive any word from him.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.........I am aware of four K2/K4 ECU's now that can no longer be reprogrammed after the secondary air injection pump recall. Mine is one of them. Duyring the recall MB installs new programs in your ECU that hides the location of the load limiter and the location to tell the car if it has or does not have secondary CATs. This is not an accident. Looks like MB is deliberately thwarting the efforts of aftermarket tuners. You do the recall work to your car at your own risk.

...........I am not an engineering and did not sleep at the Holiday Inn last night. So the above information is not intended to sbstitute for the the informtion you get from mercedes regarding the safety of your car.

Ted
Is this on your G55 or an E55? I ask because I was speaking with Cory who mentioned how different the G55 program was as is turns out. After speaking with him about my K2 setup, he told me not to worry. They have two methods of getting around some of these problems. First is the more annoying O2 sensor relocation for those of you that had removed cats.

In my case, being in CA, we originally decided to put race cats in instead of removing the primary set completely. So, after the recall, mine should be just fine since the high flow race cats should do the job and not trigger anything. Those of you with working setups post recall / reflash... do you by chance have working primary race cats in your K2 setup?

Normally those are removed in the K2 setup unless you're in a smog sensitive place like CA, in which case Cory recommends the race cats. I suppose you could always retrofit and put them back in if you wanted...

Cory also found another way around it I'm not fully up on, but it involves doing the reflash while its in the car (Rock / Dave, you know what I'm talking about... explain it if you want... I'm gray on it).

So, I'm doing the recall today, then sending my ecu out, then I'll put it back in and let you all know.

Loren
Old 06-27-2006, 04:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
Is this ECU reprogramming part of the service campaign #2006.03.0011? I just spoke to my SA and this service campaign is the only one for my car.

John
Old 06-27-2006, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Renntech

"For all Kompressor AMG models including SLR. Your car is not affected.

Also we don’t have any power loss, we were well prepared for this in advance since we knew it was coming for almost a year."

Guess I don't have to worry about it. Nor should the other Renntech owners ...
Old 06-27-2006, 05:06 PM

'10 E63 AMG
Excellent! Thanks for checking with Hartmut and confirming what Bob told me! Now I can sleep again!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I am sure Helmut or Cory would tell you the same thing....you pay us full price, we'll mod the crap outta the other guys ECU.

Not sure how a Renntech ECU would run on a K2 car and Vice Versa, but the last thing we need is a Renntech Klee battle.

Let's focus on the real enemy...mother f'in Benz for trying to keep us from modding.

Benz is gonna learn real quick why we love these cars....hopefully not the hard way (sales plummeting)

I drive this car for the luxury AND PERFORMANCE. Get a clue Benz...cut this ***** out before this gets out of hand.

Sorry....just pi$$ed right now. I need a kill....be right back.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:53 PM

In a previous thread i said my e55 making 500rwhp,649 rwtq was scary fast.I did the recall,and the car still felt fast but was more controleable.......I took it to the dyno and it only made 467rwhp,and 580rwtq. My a/f on top is running 10:1,but the car does not feel flat on top.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
For people with K2-K4, I would not be overly concerned. Kleemann does have a couple of solutions for the problem. I had the new K2 software installed after the MB re-flash without a hitch and my car feels stronger than ever.

I would be more concerned if I had a stock ECU and MB was about to re-flash it. I hope we can get some pre and post dyno as well as track numbers from people that are stock.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:51 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by Rock
For people with K2-K4, I would not be overly concerned. Kleemann does have a couple of solutions for the problem. I had the new K2 software installed after the MB re-flash without a hitch and my car feels stronger than ever.

I would be more concerned if I had a stock ECU and MB was about to re-flash it. I hope we can get some pre and post dyno as well as track numbers from people that are stock.

I am starting to wonder if the reflash messed with my car. I said when I took it to Cory and he did the base line my car was low on power 444hp and 476lbft I belive. This was dynoed after the ecu reflash? When he added the k2 I went to 544hp and 598lbft so the increase was still there but my car was weak from the start? Do you guys think this is do to the reflash? One thing we cant undo is my damn cel light. Sent Cory my ecu twice since I have been back and nothing. He finally sent me some wire and some plugs or something but I have not put them in. I think ted tried it and they didnt work either? I may be wrong but I know someone wrote they did this and it was a no go. Any other tips would help.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by Loren
Is this on your G55 or an E55? I ask because I was speaking with Cory who mentioned how different the G55 program was as is turns out. After speaking with him about my K2 setup, he told me not to worry. They have two methods of getting around some of these problems. First is the more annoying O2 sensor relocation for those of you that had removed cats.

In my case, being in CA, we originally decided to put race cats in instead of removing the primary set completely. So, after the recall, mine should be just fine since the high flow race cats should do the job and not trigger anything. Those of you with working setups post recall / reflash... do you by chance have working primary race cats in your K2 setup?

Normally those are removed in the K2 setup unless you're in a smog sensitive place like CA, in which case Cory recommends the race cats. I suppose you could always retrofit and put them back in if you wanted...

Cory also found another way around it I'm not fully up on, but it involves doing the reflash while its in the car (Rock / Dave, you know what I'm talking about... explain it if you want... I'm gray on it).

So, I'm doing the recall today, then sending my ecu out, then I'll put it back in and let you all know.

Loren

.............lets not confuse each other. I too have been speaking with Cory. The problem is that very few people have actually dynoed their car after the recall. Everyone that has dynoed their car made less power except for one CLS55.

.........The consensus as I understood it was that the cars drove crapy after recall and drove much better after Kleemann re-flashed the ECU. So from that standpoint, don't worry.

..........the other problem is that actual dyno figures before and after recall. And the results are as I stated above.

.........If there isn't a problem why is Kleemann Denmark working on a solotion for a non-problem?

...........The G55 program is a whole other issue. My car is not even driveable now. I can't go past third gear............the car just stalls as the engine pulls timming.

..............lastly, why are you even doing the recall? To avoid a check engine light triggered by the secondary injection pump? Makes no sense. Everyone that has had a check engine light has been from the O2 sensor problem and the check engine light comes right back on as you drive your car out of the dealership after the recall. No check engine lighs from the so called secondary air injection pump have so far been reported by anyone.

............Finally even if you decide that the recall work is neccessary, there is DEFINITELY no reason to reflash your ECU in order to fix the secondary air injection pump relay.

............If you insist on doing the recall, I will suggest you make sure they don't mess with your ECU.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Baldwin; 06-27-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.............lets not confuse each other. I too have been speaking with Cory. The problem is that very few people have actually dynoed their car after the recall. Everyone that has dynoed their car made less power except for one CLS55.

.........The consensus as I understood it was that the cars drove crapy after recall and drove much better after Kleemann re-flashed the ECU. So from that standpoint, don't worry.

..........the other problem is that actual dyno figures before and after recall. And the results are as I stated above.

.........If there isn't a problem why is Kleemann Denmark working on a solotion for a non-problem?

...........The G55 program is a whole other issue. My car is not even driveable now. I can't go past third gear............the car just stalls as the engine pulls timming.

..............lastly, why are you even doing the recall? To avoid a check engine light triggered by the secondary injection pump? Makes no sense. Everyone that has had a check engine light has been from the O2 sensor problem and the check engine light comes right back on as you drive your car out of the dealership after the recall. No check engine lighs from the so called secondary air injection pump have so far been reported by anyone.

............Finally even if you decide that the recall work is neccessary, there is DEFINITELY no reason to reflash your ECU in order to fix the secondary air injection pump relay.

............If you insist on doing the recall, I will suggest you make sure they don't mess with your ECU.

Ted
All very good points. I think if I were stock, I'd probably avoid the recall for now. I am doing it for two reasons:

1) To keep MB and my service advisors from getting all uptight about these mandatory things they're ordered to do and
2) Because the new K2 program specifically requires the recall / flash for it to work. Cory can't provide the new "scary fast" program if the recall / flash isn't done. As MB changes these programs, Kleeman adjusts future ones to match that upgrade path. With all the moving around that happened, the new K2 program won't run on a non flashed ecu...

Loren

PS. Irony: While doing the recall work today, they discovered a portion of my SBC system was failing and needs to be replaced... so its in the shop for an additional day. By friday I should have the ECU back from Cory and will be able to accurately gauge this whole thing and vote in the other thread properly...
Old 06-28-2006, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I need a kill....be right back.
Ford Lightning layed his life down on the altar to appease my anger. Please think of him throughout the day if you feel led. The kill was hard for him.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:58 AM

05 E55, R33 GTR, R33 GTS-t
Does anyone know the details of the "new but crap" reflash program?

ie how do we tell if we have it, when did they start using it? Is it only US guys that have experienced deteriorating performance? or is it worldwide?