Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't like my car anymore

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Thumbs up

Looks like I'm the one with a positive "recall" experience.
Requested it myself,since experiencing total loss of power on a hot day and very aggressive,fast driving.
Dealer did the recall and had to flash ECU but sent it to Kleemann immediately overnight (at their own expense) before I knew it.
Truck runs even better now(K2),smokes the tires every time......
Old 06-28-2006, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' E55
Originally Posted by absent
Requested it myself,since experiencing total loss of power on a hot day and very aggressive,fast driving.
Dealer did the recall and had to flash ECU but sent it to Kleemann immediately overnight (at their own expense) before I knew it.

I guess that is the advantage of having a MB dealership perform your Kleemann modifications!
Old 06-28-2006, 06:55 PM

What about on the top end? Does it pull hard through the traps?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 SL with every Brabus mods available & Class A competition sound system
wow that suck.... ...we should have a poll........who going to do the recall ECU flash ..........and who not.......
Old 06-29-2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by L8Apex
I asked the question(recall update on stock cars do or don't? Why?)in Ted's thread on this issue. With not one response from other members. I can only assume that they really don't know the answer. It also seems to be a lot of contradiction among members saying after recall ECU flash the car is either scary fast, no change or slow. Until someone actually puts the car on the dyno before and after the flash with similar conditions all we can do is speculate.
I have an 03 with k4 upgrades........the car is down 40rwhp and 60rwtq with therecall update.....so those of you who has not yet done the upgrade dont do it,or you will lose power.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I am going to follow that old cliche: If aint broke, dont fix it. I am very happy with my power right now and this many complaints scares me.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Vic,

You wont have a choice my friend.. Once you bring the car in for its next service, they will AUTOMATICALLY do the recall. Unless you specifically have a relationship with the service guys and you tell them not to, they will do it.

Originally Posted by Vic55
I am going to follow that old cliche: If aint broke, dont fix it. I am very happy with my power right now and this many complaints scares me.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
You guys with K2 - K4 programming are confusing everyone.

The car isnt running faster because of the recall.. Its running faster because Kleemann REVISED THEIR ECU TUNE and you got a more aggressive program in your car. If they put back the exact program you had before you did the recall, the car would run the same.

Fact of the matter is the Recall updates the ECU microcode version (confirmed by going into Engineering menu). The update changes a few things:

1) They moved the location of the O2 sensors in the ECU microcode. You will get CEL if you are not running the primary cats on your car.

2) They changed the torque management in the car. Less power is available down low and the car just doesnt have the response it used to have.. I am assuming they changed the operation of the bypass valve and had it open up sooner and bleed off more boost.

3) They disabled the live data pages being accessible through the OBDII port. This means anyone with OBDII scanners (like me) cannot use them anymore.

That's the short list.. God knows what else changed...

Old 06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by vrus
Vic,

You wont have a choice my friend.. Once you bring the car in for its next service, they will AUTOMATICALLY do the recall. Unless you specifically have a relationship with the service guys and you tell them not to, they will do it.
I have a service writer hook up and I now do business with the store so I am dialed. All the techs love my car because of the power and when I did a recall last year they didnt reflash and I have an appointment next week to have my car looked at for a non recall issue. In fact, I have not got any recall letter yet?
Old 06-29-2006, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce

The car isnt running faster because of the recall.. Its running faster because Kleemann REVISED THEIR ECU TUNE and you got a more aggressive program in your car. If they put back the exact program you had before you did the recall, the car would run the same.

Fact of the matter is the Recall updates the ECU microcode version (confirmed by going into Engineering menu). The update changes a few things:

1) They moved the location of the O2 sensors in the ECU microcode. You will get CEL if you are not running the primary cats on your car.

2) They changed the torque management in the car. Less power is available down low and the car just doesnt have the response it used to have.. I am assuming they changed the operation of the bypass valve and had it open up sooner and bleed off more boost.

3) They disabled the live data pages being accessible through the OBDII port. This means anyone with OBDII scanners (like me) cannot use them anymore.

............After the recall and the re-intallation of the Kleemann program........the car DOES NOT run the same..........not when objectively tested at the dyno or at the track. Everyone except one CLS 55 owner that has dynoed their car has had less HP and torque. Butt dyno means nothing. There are load limits placed in the ECUthat prevents the car from running at higher boost and causes the engine to pull timming. You can have a reinstalled K2/K4 program but that is negated by the load limit. Unless you dyno or take your car to the track as some have done, you won't notice this.

Ted
Old 06-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Well, that's even worse then... I just wanted to dispell the rumours and clear up the misleading information that some are passing off because they had their ECU reprogrammed after the recall and they think it runs faster..

IF.. and that is a BIG IF.. the car runs faster AFTER the recall it is attributed to the revised programming Kleemann is supplying and not because of something the recall procedure did.

BTW, they might consider it faster because the K2 program THEY are running was not optimized to begin with, so, getting the latest K2 program makes a big difference for them.

Just want this point CLEAR so that people are not misinterpreting it.

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............After the recall and the re-intallation of the Kleemann program........the car DOES NOT run the same..........not when objectively tested at the dyno or at the track. Everyone except one CLS 55 owner that has dynoed their car has had less HP and torque. Butt dyno means nothing. There are load limits placed in the ECUthat prevents the car from running at higher boost and causes the engine to pull timming. You can have a reinstalled K2/K4 program but that is negated by the load limit. Unless you dyno or take your car to the track as some have done, you won't notice this.

Ted
Old 06-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Received 519 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Well, that's even worse then... I just wanted to dispell the rumours and clear up the misleading information that some are passing off because they had their ECU reprogrammed after the recall and they think it runs faster..

IF.. and that is a BIG IF.. the car runs faster AFTER the recall it is attributed to the revised programming Kleemann is supplying and not because of something the recall procedure did.

BTW, they might consider it faster because the K2 program THEY are running was not optimized to begin with, so, getting the latest K2 program makes a big difference for them.

Just want this point CLEAR so that people are not misinterpreting it.

I hope I was not the one you are referring to. I did not think I was providing "misleading information." My comments about more power after the "new K2", were qualified. I stated the butt dyno felt good but I would get to the track to see if it made any real difference. My only comments about the MB recall/re-flash was that additional modifications may be needed to allow for the new K2 program.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
No, it wasn't aimed at you. I quoted "Absent" in my post.

If you read his post, it said he had a POSITIVE experience after the recall, but, cited Kleemann as putting a new K2 program in and the car "smokes even more now".

Bottom line is that there is nothing good that comes out of having the recall done.. It limits things in the car and removes features that are handy to have (like live data pages).

Originally Posted by Rock
I hope I was not the one you are referring to. I did not think I was providing "misleading information." My comments about more power after the "new K2", were qualified. I stated the butt dyno felt good but I would get to the track to see if it made any real difference. My only comments about the MB recall/re-flash was that additional modifications may be needed to allow for the new K2 program.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Just got my car back from the dealership and pulled a couple short run around town. The car really seems to be heavier and less responsive than I remember before the recall was performed.

This weekend I'm taking it to Dyno and will take it to the drag strip when I get my rims / PS2 combo.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:21 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG

Victor, I'm a bit confused. Did MB replace the ECU or it change the programming? Were there any mechanical changes? Added parts or revised location of sensors?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
They reflash the ECU you have. The ECU microcode (the computer program that runs inside the ECU to control your car) is a series of bytes. Each location (byte address) is responsible for a certain function.

The tuners have been able to "map" the locations to determine where and what to change to advance timing, fuel curves, O2 sensors enable/disable, etc, etc. That's how they know how to reprogram your ECU with a modified fuel curve, etc.

MB moved the location of some of those "known" functions into different areas of the microcode. Basically, they played a shell game and made the "known" locations now "unknown".

At the same time, they removed the piece of code which allows the OBDII port to see the live data pages so that plug-in scanners can be used.

Does that make more sense?

Originally Posted by Vetluver
Victor, I'm a bit confused. Did MB replace the ECU or it change the programming? Were there any mechanical changes? Added parts or revised location of sensors?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Cool

No, it wasn't aimed at you. I quoted "Absent" in my post.

If you read his post, it said he had a POSITIVE experience after the recall, but, cited Kleemann as putting a new K2 program in and the car "smokes even more now".

Bottom line is that there is nothing good that comes out of having the recall done.. It limits things in the car and removes features that are handy to have (like live data pages).
You misunderstood my point,my truck already had the K2 before the recall but the latter erased Kleemann programming when the ECU was re-flashed.
My dealer took the responsibility to redo the ECU and sent it to Kleemann overnight at their own expense.
The whole thing took a full week to take care of,I had a brand new ML loaner to use and did not pay a penny to "fix" the ECU back to K2 specs.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thats pretty cool of them. My dealership would have stopped all service on my car after they found out I had mods (if I had any).
Old 06-30-2006, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
At the same time, they removed the piece of code which allows the OBDII port to see the live data pages so that plug-in scanners can be used.
vrus I was thinking of getting Autoengenuity data logger. It seems from what you say these scanners were not able to be used before (but we know they did work). What exactly is different now - can you clarify this for me please?
Old 06-30-2006, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
Originally Posted by Vic55
But you lost Power with a removal of secondary cats, didnt you get any updates on you Powerchip software yet???
Old 06-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by M5 RUS
But you lost Power with a removal of secondary cats, didnt you get any updates on you Powerchip software yet???
Thats incorrect, I lost some power from the Eisenmann Race Exhaust and it's a very small amount (10-15 hp). As for the Powerchip, I am running the most current setup they have but I have been told there is another update coming.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
quote "I would look at a diet plan. While the following modifications will not generate more HP, they will make you go faster.

1. A light wheel and tire package
2. Evo floating rotors
3. A lightweight battery
4. Remove the spare and the other crap in the trunk
5. If you weigh over 200lbs and are less then 6'1", your only meal should be Slim-Fast.
6. If you don't have kids, remove the back seats.
7. If you have a overweight wife or girlfriend that rides in the passenger seat, dump her and find an anorexic model.
8. Do not let MB re-flash you ECU"
Rock from Need more power post