Newbie needs help upgrading to Xenon headlamps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Newbie needs help upgrading to Xenon headlamps

All,

I've never joined a forum before, so I'm not sure of the etiquette, but I was told this is the place to find the answer I'm looking for...

I just bought a 2004 E55 that didn't come with the upgraded lighting package, which means it has the stock halogen headlamps. I really want to upgrade somehow to high performance bi-xenon headlights but my dealer won't help me and I don't know where to start.

I live in Connecticut... does anyone know where I should go to get this kind of work done? If I order the right parts can I do it myself? Are there other options I'm not considering?

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:32 PM

I too am in the same boat.

You have to buy a set of the HID xenon lights and then get the Tech to use the Star Diag. to select the Hid xenon option so the lights will work. I forgot the cost but the lights are over 1400usd.

I would do the stock way vs doing the after market way. Yes its more expensive. I have yet to do though. But will someday.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:48 PM

2004 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Audi A6 4.2, 2008 WRX STI
I was in the same situation as you guyz~But its quite simple to find~
The factory OEM Xenon lights are from Hella and if you go on to EBAY motors and type in "W211 E55" , the kit will come up~its somewhere around $1200 i think.... I had to get it b/c my dealer guy forgot to put in on my list when i was buying the car!!!! GOOD LUCK~N DOnt forget that its exact same Xenon lights that MB provides, not those cheap ****!!
Old 06-28-2006, 10:52 PM

thats good to know. Is it just a kit? or a replacement whole light housing unit like the factory ones? What is involved in the kit?
Old 06-28-2006, 11:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by AMG Rider
I was in the same situation as you guyz~But its quite simple to find~
The factory OEM Xenon lights are from Hella and if you go on to EBAY motors and type in "W211 E55" , the kit will come up~its somewhere around $1200 i think.... I had to get it b/c my dealer guy forgot to put in on my list when i was buying the car!!!! GOOD LUCK~N DOnt forget that its exact same Xenon lights that MB provides, not those cheap ****!!
Are you sure you are talking about the same ACTIVE headlights I have? I thought they were VERY complicated to add after?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:10 AM

2004 E55
Yeah, that's what I thought. I thought the active headlights also had a computer that decided where they were going to point etc. Luckily, I'm more concerned with the bi-xenon aspect than the headlights being active.

Now let's say I order these lights and have them professionally installed. What does this do to my warranty? Why won't my dealer just do it?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:41 AM

2004 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Audi A6 4.2, 2008 WRX STI
Originally Posted by Desipate
Yeah, that's what I thought. I thought the active headlights also had a computer that decided where they were going to point etc. Luckily, I'm more concerned with the bi-xenon aspect than the headlights being active.

Now let's say I order these lights and have them professionally installed. What does this do to my warranty? Why won't my dealer just do it?

I havent installed mine yet...Its been 2 months since i got it. But i ve been very busy and am currently out of country for the whole summer...The body shop near me wants $200 for the installation which includes the reset to some sort of program.....and i dont think it doesnt do anything to the warranty...Im plannin to go back to the States in August, so i will post the pic and the result...
Old 06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Contact Steve @www.MBENZNL.com for the Headlights USA OR EURO Xenon
Steve installed a set in the Wifes W211 All OE Mercedes Parts He can Install them when he is up your way and Version code the car at the same time
Old 06-30-2006, 09:53 AM

Here is a reply i got from Steve. It is possible.

yes, it is possible to upgrade from halogen headlights to bi xenon
headlights...we offer complete originel mercedes bi xenon headlights with
which you can replace your current halogen headlights (straight swap). In
order to have the xenon headlights functioning properly in your halogen
equiped car you will have to get the xenon setting in the central gateway of
the car coded to PRESENT at the MB dealership (or any independent shop with
the stardiagnose tool).

Wether upgrading to bi xenons will or won't void any warranty depends on
your dealership - that is not a question we can answer for you.
Fact is that the parts we offer are original mercedes and that the current
wiring in the car is the same as the wiring that comes in cars with xenons
from factory. The only thing missing in your halogen equiped car is the
support for the auto levelling headlight feature (that factory xenon equiped
cars come with) and that you won't have the headlight washers.

greetingz from Steve Krabbenborg

www.MBenzNL.com
Old 06-30-2006, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS 55 AMG
my car didnt come with xenons, but i bought the after market philips ballasts and D2S bulbs....looks jus like stock. As stated by steve, only thing missing is the auto leveling and headlight washers. Weird thing is, my car looks like it has the headlight washers, or is it jus an opening? Who knows.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:11 AM

06 Merc E55, 996TT
xenon lights?

how do your aftermarket lights work? does it show a light saying your headlights are out? if so how did you fix it? need help! thanks

David Lam
Old 07-26-2006, 09:31 AM

2014 GL 350 on order
Gentlemen: whil we are at it-anyone figure out how to do the halogen to HID conversion yet? SteveMBNZL, are you listening? Would love to do this mod-Joker
Old 07-26-2006, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by JokerzWld
Gentlemen: whil we are at it-anyone figure out how to do the halogen to HID conversion yet? SteveMBNZL, are you listening? Would love to do this mod-Joker
Don't you already have the lighting package? Do you want to upgrade your foglights to HID as well?

I'm experimenting with the Carlab HID kit for the foglights some time next week and will give an update once everything is done.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:10 AM

Heres the answer for all your questions, i recently swapped my headlights for the xenons after purchasing them from ebay. i did it myself it will take approximatly 1 hour but you will need help as your taking the bumper off. it's only 3 screws on the headlights and it's plug and play however you will need to goto the dealer to have it programed or the lights will flicker. when i went to the dealer and told them the situation they programed it for me and it was free of charge under warranty, so it will not void your warranty, and if your not under warranty it will cost you 234.00 thats what my bill said but again i wasnt charged anything because of my warranty.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Wow, your SA at the dealer is either very nice or you have a very long and established relationship with your dealer. My dealer in WI outright refuses to do it.