Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jangy
and or an LSD.

!
Not the fix-all solution but good place to start.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:29 AM

I disagree completely. Why blame the beast for making the power? Instead, learn to tame it.
This is what MB does with ESP.

I know there is not enough power at the lower end, and that is not of the car that is of te ENGINE. playing with the torque converter is like playing with a clutch plate. if the motor ain't got the grunt, you can't make up for it with gearing or anything else. it simply does not have it.
This is where I must disagree. A torque converter essentially multiplies torque. It allows the car to use the higher, mid-range band of torque right off the line. Careful selection of stall speed will allow you to drive the car hard right off the line with minimal tire spin. I would estimate that 60 ft times would decrease by 0.2-0.3 sec with an E63. I saw 0.3-0.4 sec reduction in 60 ft times with a 2600 RPM-stall converter in my 5500# truck.

On the other side, I am not bashing you in any way, but you may want to consider helping the E55 to launch. A simple swap of the tires will help you IMMENSELY. I have no clue why, but EVERY stock E55 I have ever seen has such hard tires on it that they just spin. They don't smoke. they just spin. Maybe it is the contis, maybe it is the load rating, maybe it is the specific contis that MB got. I don't know what it is. Get new tires and then decide for yourself. If you still aren't happy with softer tires, then try larger ones, and or an LSD.
Street tires are basically a compromise. Harder rubber compounds are used to enhance milage, and they use tread patterns that work well in rain. The softer compounds provide better dry traction, but they suck in the rain and the poor milage means frequent replacement. WRT to LSD - using your logic, LSD is to too much low-end torque as a loose converter is to not enough low-end torque.

There are a zillion cars out there that are "fast" once they are up and running. How many do you know that can pull a car length on almost anything just on a launch?
Every car/truck that I've put a high-stall converter into.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
This is what MB does with ESP.

This is where I must disagree. A torque converter essentially multiplies torque. It allows the car to use the higher, mid-range band of torque right off the line. Careful selection of stall speed will allow you to drive the car hard right off the line with minimal tire spin. I would estimate that 60 ft times would decrease by 0.2-0.3 sec with an E63. I saw 0.3-0.4 sec reduction in 60 ft times with a 2600 RPM-stall converter in my 5500# truck.

Street tires are basically a compromise. Harder rubber compounds are used to enhance milage, and they use tread patterns that work well in rain. The softer compounds provide better dry traction, but they suck in the rain and the poor milage means frequent replacement. WRT to LSD - using your logic, LSD is to too much low-end torque as a loose converter is to not enough low-end torque.

Every car/truck that I've put a high-stall converter into.
OK, lets just wait and see. No sense arguing over what hasn't happened. But, i am curious why somebody in an M5 hasn't tried this to absolutely kill the E55. they already walk away from us after about 90mph. A simple loose converter and why wouldn't the M5 just walk a E55 out of the gate? I just haven't seen it yet.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:07 PM

OK, lets just wait and see. No sense arguing over what hasn't happened. But, i am curious why somebody in an M5 hasn't tried this to absolutely kill the E55. they already walk away from us after about 90mph. A simple loose converter and why wouldn't the M5 just walk a E55 out of the gate? I just haven't seen it yet.
Well, I can think of one good reason - the SMG 7-speed transmission in M5/M6 doesn't use a torque converter. Think of it as a manual transmission that shifts auomatically. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/6er/m6/smg.htm
Old 07-10-2006, 04:01 AM
Almost a Member!

E55 AMG/ 911 GT2/ 911 GT3
Originally Posted by Grumpy666
Well, I can think of one good reason - the SMG 7-speed transmission in M5/M6 doesn't use a torque converter. Think of it as a manual transmission that shifts auomatically. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/6er/m6/smg.htm

That is pretty funny. Sorry. I guess some of the owners are almost as behind the times as Mercedes itself. Just kidding... well not about the factory.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I love it. Is there a coincidence that all of this bashing is by people matchbox cars? There has been enough discussion about SMG that even my MOM knows how it works (or doesn't). If I wanted a stick, I'da got one. Also, if I wanted a car that was "fast" only once it is up to speed, I woulda got track car, too. Till then, it is simply apples and oranges. If you really want to argue we can, especially since the article picked the AMG as the BEST!!
So, you wanna talk track car or 1/4 mile? Our discussion to this point has been 1/4mile and all you say is EVERY car you have had can beat the E55 out of the hole. LET ME SEE? That easy.

Talk is cheap, as is theory. Classes are about $20/unit at the community college.