Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by dragonAMG
You traded in a 996 TT for a S4??????
Yeah. I'd just got a new job and thought it was too flash for the car park. I was also after something with 4-doors and had never owned an Audi so I tried an 03 RS6 and S4. Decided on the S4 as value of RS6 will take a hit when new one comes out and back end is a little dated.

I miss the power, brakes and unbelievable handling every day, but I don't regret my decision as it's fun too try new things and the S4 just fits the bill quite nicely and performs 4/5 in all areas.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by rbc55
e63,audi's are too heavy and slow.
Thanks for the input. However, I don't agree that Audi's are slow. RS6 was quickest in class when released while the RS4 has had rave reviews.

MB, BMW and Audi are all heavy when compared to things like the GT3 but between them the difference is fairly small and a fair trade off if you want AWD.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 ML350
Originally Posted by TopGun32
buy the Audi and enjoy it.... even with the RS6 version... (never heard 5.2 turbo rumor)

it won't be able to keep up..

You see.. AMG is the God of horsepower (soon to release 63 Twin Turbo)

BWM is the God of handling and braking

and Audi RS and Caddy- V and SRT just try to keep up..

Power is not everything, but when its packaged on a luxury sedan with a killer upscale look, improved susspension over the E55, super engine and 7sp AMG box... what else do you need?

If you live on top of a moutain and own a prive road full of s curves and hair pin turns.. buy the M5. For everthing else, the AMG will be perfect.

good luck! and welcome aboard.
The C6 RS6 specs are all conjectures and rumours at this point, and not even a spy photo so it's probably at least 18-24 months away. Given that the S6 already has the 5.2 litre V10, Audi will have to move the performance up to a much higher plateau if they are to release the RS6, a la the C5 generation S6 and RS6.

As for the twin turbo version of a 6.3, isn't that motor rumoured to be slated for the W221 S-class and maybe the R230 SL-class? IMHO I don't think AMG will be putting that motor into the E-class for the purpose of this comparison.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by rkao
The C6 RS6 specs are all conjectures and rumours at this point, and not even a spy photo so it's probably at least 18-24 months away. Given that the S6 already has the 5.2 litre V10, Audi will have to move the performance up to a much higher plateau if they are to release the RS6, a la the C5 generation S6 and RS6.

As for the twin turbo version of a 6.3, isn't that motor rumoured to be slated for the W221 S-class and maybe the R230 SL-class? IMHO I don't think AMG will be putting that motor into the E-class for the purpose of this comparison.
C5 generation saw NA 4.2 V8 with 340bhp become TT 4.2 V8 with 444/473bhp.
With this in mind it's more than likely they'll TT the 429bhp S6 NA V10. In Gallardo the 5.0 version makes 512bhp but word is Lambo don't want Audi using this leaving TT as the option. New RS6 should be here in 12-18months.
I agree the engine's not been confirmed but maybe the reason for the lack of spy shots is beacause there won't be that many changes from S6. (more advanced suspension, better bodywork and of course engine) so they can keep the tests 'in house.'
Old 07-08-2006, 04:57 PM

If you want an involving drive, joy then m5 is the clear winner. I don't own an e55 but drove one for about a week, and I must say it was very powerful engine, instant torque, instant acceleration, and that was it. Nothing else. The car is just dull. You hit the gas, it accelerates and that is what it does best. And it is expensive when optioned out. On the other hand the m5 is fast and joyful. You just want to drive it, get involved with the car, be a driver, rather than being driven.

If you want a dull fast car with a great interior e55 all the way. If you want a dull fast car and much cheaper then the e55 there are many american alternatives for sure. But in that price range I would say as driver's joy the best is the m5.

And how can you guys diss the rs6 when it is not even out yet. First of all Audi RS models are much more involving to drive than the AMG models. Not as much as the M but still more fun than AMG. RS6 may come with the DSG, and it would be a kick in the blood instant gratification. AWD makes it perfect choice for high HP car in climates where it is preferred to have AWD. The Quattro in my opinion is the best AWD system in the luxury market at this time. And Audi interiors are much better than the BMW interiors, and they are better built (I own both), I also think Audi interiors last better than MB interiors as well, but MB interiors look more luxurious.

If the idea is to have an involving drive, M5 is way to go, if you don't care about that and just wanna hit the gas and go fast e63 or e55 is the best choice, if you want something in between than nothing beats the rs6.

I am waiting for the 6 speed M5 to come out as I really disliked the SMG.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:54 PM

Having owned an RS6 and a current owner of an E55, I would wait for the new Audi. The E55 is great, but it is not a terribly involving drive, even at speed. The RS6 should do a pretty good job of keeping your heartrate up. As for the M5, I've borrowed / swapped cars with a friend of mine who has one and he regrets having bought his. The M5 is fun, but if you're going to have fun, you really need to be aggresive with it. Just to give some credibility to my friend, over the last 8 years, he's had over 80 vehicles. The M was originally going to be a long term vehicle in his stable, but he's already lost interest in it.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rkao

I believe you are correct. However it will be passed down to the E clas and CLS class eventually.

There is no denying that the TT 63 is in development. This information was provided by the Director of Operations at AMG in an interview abou a year ago.

Since the 63 motor will be used for many MY's to come, the only route to add more power will be TT's. You never know.. you might see it on the next W212?

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=interview

If you recall, the W210 used the 5.4L liter NA and as soon as the W211 came out, it recieved the K55 motor.

The W212 is about 18 months away too.

Back to the original post:
If you itch to buy a car, buy the E63 and dump it when the RS6 comes out. There is no sense on waiting for a car 18 months if you have the cash or can handle the payment.

Enjoy the AMG and enjoy your RS6. "Remember the grass is always greener on the other side"

BTW: thanks for the compliment. This forum is perfect to exchange information.

Last edited by TopGun32; 07-08-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Can gearbox handle TT?

I was just wondering what Merc are doing about a new gearbox. I think i'm correct in saying the 7-speed can't take the torque of the 55K engine so it uses the 5-speed. Is ths going to be rectified when the 63TT arrives?

Also, I heard that the 65 engine would put out 700bhp and 900lb/ft were it not restricted to stop the 5-speed having a meltdown. Any word on whether they'll get around this anytime soon?

Does the E55/E63 have LSD?

And just to get it straight, I do like the M5, it's just SMG seems to offer neither the smoothness of an auto or the involvement of a manual.

As regards DSG, which seems pretty sweet, does MB have any plans to bring this into their lineup or are the AMG engines simply too brawny?

I was wondering because I don't know whether the forthcoming RS6 will run off a 6-speed Tiptronic or Audi's DSG.

Sorry for all the Qs!
Old 07-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
I was just wondering what Merc are doing about a new gearbox. I think i'm correct in saying the 7-speed can't take the torque of the 55K engine so it uses the 5-speed. Is ths going to be rectified when the 63TT arrives?

Also, I heard that the 65 engine would put out 700bhp and 900lb/ft were it not restricted to stop the 5-speed having a meltdown. Any word on whether they'll get around this anytime soon?

Does the E55/E63 have LSD?

And just to get it straight, I do like the M5, it's just SMG seems to offer neither the smoothness of an auto or the involvement of a manual.

As regards DSG, which seems pretty sweet, does MB have any plans to bring this into their lineup or are the AMG engines simply too brawny?

I was wondering because I don't know whether the forthcoming RS6 will run off a 6-speed Tiptronic or Audi's DSG.

Sorry for all the Qs!
Never heard any of the power rumors and don't see the truth to it, since the hp/litre isn't different than any other 4 valver. Plus, don't forget that more cylinders also equals more valves and more airflow (which would only help compare it to the BMW.

LSD will be an option on the E63. It has NOT been an option on the E55. However, the LSD has been added by some members and I have not heard of any concerns.

Any rumors as to AMG's next move are just that. NOTHING has been released or leaked. Are they working on any turbo prototypes? Well, of course, but they are also working on Kompressor prototypes as well, but that does not mean the 63 will go either way any time soon.

Personally, I think we will be waiting for a new tranny to come into play before more power is seen. None of the cars in the class are going to the 600hp level, and I'd prefer the V12TT if and when they do drop 600hp into the E.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Thanks for the quick reply, Jangy.
Have you ever put your E55 up against a Continental GT. A guy in my building has one. Each to there own, I personally think they're hideous, though I didn't tell him that as he likes it. Regardless, he reckons it's the fastest thing on the road. I informed him it weighs more than Range Rover (GT is a total whale) and an E55 would demolish it. That's right isn't it? Maybe you should run him!! Not mentioning its closest competitor the stealthy SL65! I think he was a little put out.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Thanks for the quick reply, Jangy.
Have you ever put your E55 up against a Continental GT. A guy in my building has one. Each to there own, I personally think they're hideous, though I didn't tell him that as he likes it. Regardless, he reckons it's the fastest thing on the road. I informed him it weighs more than Range Rover (GT is a total whale) and an E55 would demolish it. That's right isn't it? Maybe you should run him!! Not mentioning its closest competitor the stealthy SL65! I think he was a little put out.
I'm not sure what you should tell him. Actually, I did have a chance to run with a Continental GT a few weeks back. It was only on the highway and he had people in the car and is MUCH mellower in traffic, but I got to be honest and say that the thing does haul. I thought we both were in the 500hp ballpark and had no idea that his was a V12 until later. I assumed I was gonna spank him and I didn't. He hung hard. They seem geared a little tall for me, since I felt like I could drop a gear and get a nice jump on him. But I was not pulling ANY harder even up to about 120 - 140mph.
I would love to try some digs with him to see what would happen. Sad thing is that he has a literal stable of cars (exotic dealer), and the Continental GT is his demo "cruiser". Just to put it all in perspective, they were transporting a "retired" F1 car (on an 18 wheeler) up to Fontana for hot laps and used the Continental to carry the "guests".
Old 07-09-2006, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
May I suggest CLS63? Sleek, sporty, great handling car. Don't get me wrong, I love my E55, wouldn't trade it in or sell it for anything, but if it's me, I will either get the CLS or SL with the V8 6.3l motor.